Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | | Last >
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: sanzer] * 2
    #28909568 -

sanzer said:
to specify, would crossing spores from two different fruits of the same clone grown out ( or say 10 prints from the same clone grow) speed up the stabilization process?

to clarify the second question, i know going to spawn can be done without sterile procedure, can inoculation be done this way? such as putting spores on grain in a bucket with open air and no sterilization or pasteurization?

thank you for your help



No it wouldn't speed it up it's essentially the same concept, multispore.
As for outdoor grows the answer is no , we need every advantage we can get and spawn is the major one , spores can take a week or two to start , by then your grain would be rotten and spores eaten by bacteria


--------------------
It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn
I'm tired do me a favor

I'M A MEMBER FIRST, TC WHEN NEEDED AND MOD WHEN I HAVE TO BE !!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: cronicr]
    #28909607 -

Y'all think two mycoquarts is good enough for a 66qt pastywhite eazy dial? These damn 6qt shoeboxes just aren't working for me. I was having success with monos but I was using pre bought 3lb grain bags, one per tub. Now I'm making my own grain and idk how many grain jars I should use for one tub. Idk what I'm doing wrong with these 6qts, the smallest tub I've had good success with is a 12qt


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: cronicr]
    #28909609 -



These are kind of thin bc they need more FAE, right? Unmodded shoebox, lid was on but not latched. I think I noticed the first pin on Friday, if that helps with their age any. I just got home and flipped the lid upside down to let it breathe more, but I wanted to make sure I was actually seeing an issue and not misremembering shit.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog]
    #28909611 -

A mycoquart tends to be about a pound of spawn. So if you were using 3 lb before, you will be happier with 3 jars than 2.

Edit: in what way are your 6 qt shoeboxes failing? If it's anything other than drying out too fast - in particular, if they are contaminating - I'd suspect your grain prep or sterile procedure when inoculating the spawn rather than the box you're using for bulk.

Edited by Phaethon (08/12/24 11:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: QuantumZ00] * 1
    #28909623 -

QuantumZ00 said:
Quick question. So my first 'series' of grows I used as grain Wild Bird Seed, Brown Rice Flour in some jars, and oats for a few jars and yes corn kernels for a few jars too. I'm experimenting for myself to see what's fastest to colonization, what's most likely to contaminate, etc.

The one I haven't tried yet was Rye grains or Rye berries. Does anyone have a go to brand if Rye grain they order online, or do you all source it locally? Thank you! 🍄🤩



Oats are available in 50 pound bags. WBS and popcorn are available in smaller sizes and BRF is available in any size.


How massive was your first series of grows? Did you not keep notes?

If you've had success with what you're using you should have a lot left. Use what you have.

There is little difference in what grain you use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #28909625 -

ThurmanMurman said:


These are kind of thin bc they need more FAE, right? Unmodded shoebox, lid was on but not latched. I think I noticed the first pin on Friday, if that helps with their age any. I just got home and flipped the lid upside down to let it breathe more, but I wanted to make sure I was actually seeing an issue and not misremembering shit.



I just set the shoebox lid on top loose but not pushed down. About the same FAE as upside down.

They look healthy to me. What strain?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28909628 -

Bigdogg said:
ThurmanMurman said:


These are kind of thin bc they need more FAE, right? Unmodded shoebox, lid was on but not latched. I think I noticed the first pin on Friday, if that helps with their age any. I just got home and flipped the lid upside down to let it breathe more, but I wanted to make sure I was actually seeing an issue and not misremembering shit.



I just set the shoebox lid on top loose but not pushed down. About the same FAE as upside down.

They look healthy to me. What strain?




Thats how I had the lid, but they looked kinda skinny to me. It's been 15yrs since I grew anything, so my eye for it may just need calibrated. They're supposed to be Amazonians, for whatever that's worth.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Buckdog]
    #28909631 -

Buckdog said:
Y'all think two mycoquarts is good enough for a 66qt pastywhite eazy dial? These damn 6qt shoeboxes just aren't working for me. I was having success with monos but I was using pre bought 3lb grain bags, one per tub. Now I'm making my own grain and idk how many grain jars I should use for one tub. Idk what I'm doing wrong with these 6qts, the smallest tub I've had good success with is a 12qt



A bunch of random numbers and statements. Hard to comprehend what you're asking.

A 6 quart should be 1 pint to 2 quarts IMHO. 1:4

If your 66 quart tub is 12" deep and you want 3" total sub you would need 66/4 quarts. That is roughly 16 quarts. 1:3 spawn with a 1" top layer would do it. 3 quarts spawn: 8 quart sub. 4 quarts sub top layer.

Many would recommend a higher spawn ratio but healthy spawn and you shouldn't have a problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ThurmanMurman]
    #28909633 -

ThurmanMurman said:
Bigdogg said:
ThurmanMurman said:


These are kind of thin bc they need more FAE, right? Unmodded shoebox, lid was on but not latched. I think I noticed the first pin on Friday, if that helps with their age any. I just got home and flipped the lid upside down to let it breathe more, but I wanted to make sure I was actually seeing an issue and not misremembering shit.



I just set the shoebox lid on top loose but not pushed down. About the same FAE as upside down.

They look healthy to me. What strain?




Thats how I had the lid, but they looked kinda skinny to me. It's been 15yrs since I grew anything, so my eye for it may just need calibrated. They're supposed to be Amazonians, for whatever that's worth.



You can flip the lid and offset the corners to give it more air. You'll see it turn blue if it has too much FAE. I'd leave it where you got it. Looking healthy right now.

Nice pinset

:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Phaethon]
    #28909654 -

One isn't drying no matter how I configure the lid, or pump the lid a couple times a day. One of them has one pin and possibly more coming but it sure took awhile, still not likely to get much from it. The other one has dried out and didn't pin. No contamination though from what I can tell. I can upload some pics later though when I get home from work


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28909656 -

Idk maybe I put too much spawn in these shoeboxes, I did one quart grain jar for each one. I didn't measure anything out but it had to be close to 1:2 spawn to sub


--------------------
What seems to be the officer, problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Seriously_trippin]
    #28909760 -

My wheat is pissing me off. 2h+ a bit pressure cook in my presto with a full 11 minute vent lead to all my jars contaminated. (like, my control jars I didn't use). Perhaps it's due to rusted lids although they aren't bad around the rims. I will replace.

Regardless, I ordered 50lb of rye berries. A cursory search resulted in 10 year old threads, just wondering if there was any newer consensus on rye prep in jars with pressure cooker (ie, if a day long soak is needed, or if it's similar to wheat where you boil for like 40 minutes till you get some bursting then dry till they don't water a paper towel and load up as usual)


--------------------
My posts are long winded and dense.
Supplemented coir experiments< Currently ongoing spring 2026.

~Agar~ 1000mL water = 1000g water. use ~1% agar...1% of 1000g is 10g.  For cubes, use between 1-2% nutes (10-20g). For pans use 0.5% nutes (5g).

Everything I have typed is purely fiction, and is purely for personal amusement.
All images I've posted are not mine and I am simply posting interesting things I found on the Google.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: Bigdogg]
    #28909769 -

Bigdogg said:
Oats are available in 50 pound bags. WBS and popcorn are available in smaller sizes and BRF is available in any size.


How massive was your first series of grows? Did you not keep notes?

If you've had success with what you're using you should have a lot left. Use what you have.

There is little difference in what grain you use.



It was massive for me because I went from nothing at all in my life to trying all these different teks right away. Let's see...


I had 18 jars pint sized. I made 5 with corn kernels, I made 4 with BRF, I made 3 with Brown Rice, 3 with WBS, 3 with oats. Then to this I made six homemade growbags - the D-I-Y kind, not the order online kind - and to these I put one of WBS, one of corn, one of brown rice. Oh, and I had two Uncle Ben bags that I added to the side for shits and giggles because I had em already. And because I like to see shit for myself.

Of them, one contaminated outright - one of the uncle Ben bags you'll not be surprised to find out - and then last night I noticed one of the bins very early stage already contam'd.


2/3 of everything I tried I already spawned to bulk. I have multiple 12 quart and multiple 6 quarts and two big 32 quart monotubs. No 64 quart ones.

One of the 12 inch bins was the one that contaminated outright from a corn kernel jar.

Three bins are at full colonization plus some number of days. None have pinned yet. *Fingers crossed*


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: QuantumZ00] * 6
    #28909788 -

That's a lot of different ideas and methods all crammed into a small time period.

Personally I prefer to tighten up my process to such an extent that nothing contaminates.

If you have so many different methods running, how do you know what will work and what won't?
You're introducing too many variables to make decisions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: DERRAYLD] * 1
    #28909797 -

Wise words.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #28909815 -

DERRAYLD said:
That's a lot of different ideas and methods all crammed into a small time period.

Personally I prefer to tighten up my process to such an extent that nothing contaminates.

If you have so many different methods running, how do you know what will work and what won't?
You're introducing too many variables to make decisions.



That's true. In my mind it made sense not to put all my pennies in one bucket, so to speak.

In retrospect it definitely was an overwhelming number of things to try and led to unforced errors like stabbing myself in the finger with a syringe and splattering my entire SAB and grain jars with my blood or opening the one contam bag and being surprised when it's all trich and thus dropping it everywhere lol.

One of the refrains I always heard was "find what's right for you, which Tek works best for your environment and situation." So I didn't want to have to wait X amount of months between each 'try', I wanted to ensure at least something made it to the finish line.

But I did learn which process I found easiest and least stress inducing, and I did see a few bins that really took off so far. So I know what process im going to select going forward, and that's worth something I think.


--------------------
Endlessly endorsing empathy empirically energizing existence™

~Always practice radical kindness~
R.I.P. Betty Boop, greatest mother to ever do it.

Edited by QuantumZ00 (08/13/24 07:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: QuantumZ00]
    #28909826 -

Putting all your eggs in one basket is what you want to avoid.  It is best to spread out those eggs into many baskets and play the numbers game.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: hamloaf]
    #28909878 -



As my ex used to say, "that's it?"

The rest of the box is still growing, but they're all small. Im reading that genetics are the main cause, but my buddy took the print I used and I know his were normal size. I know MS is a crap shoot, but I see no variation in my box - they're consistently small. I know for sure the sub was under hydrated, and I was worried about inadequate FAE as well. Whatchu guys think? The sub hasn't shrunken at all, so I'm hoping a good soak and increased FAE on the 2nd flush will make up for it.


--------------------


Hitchhikers Guide to The Shroomery

Shine on forever, shine on benevolent son
Shine down upon the severed
Shine until the two become one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: ThurmanMurman] * 3
    #28909941 -

Small fruits are generally related to small or dry substrates.  It is always possible you got bad genetics, but I would not discount moisture content of substrate as root cause of the issue.


--------------------
     
How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ask Quick Questions, Get Quick Answers [Re: sanzer] * 2
    #28909942 -

sanzer said:
sanzer said:
if fruiting a clone, how different are spore prints from one fruit to the next in terms of stabilization?



Each successive generation has reduced heterozygosity (genetic diversity) along the trajectory you've selected for.


Quote:
if you fruit a clone and take a tissue sample from any of those fruits it is all the same as any other fruit from that spawn? and/or the same as a transfer.



The tissue sample reflects the traits of the selected fruit which may share characteristics distributed throughout the flush, or not.

Quote:
Selecting one fruit to clone from each ms grow, then taking prints from every fruit of the clone grow, mixing them in one solution, growing it out and selecting a clone...



Don't do this. The point is to reduce heterozygosity, not to increase; however, you can increase the heterozygosity of a culture by introducing fresh genetic material from wild or other cultures in an attempt to fix a damaged lineage or to produce a cross.

sanzer said:
open air non sterile grain inoculation/colonization for outdoor?

I've seen contam spawn and jars grow outside with no worry about contam, wondering if i can take a bucket of grain, soak it outside , introduce some spores, myc or LC/LI and cover it with a lid or towel and let it colonize skipping all pc or pasteurizing etc?



Always start with the best spawn possible. There's a huge difference between spawn that contaminated and outright septic starting material.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024 | 2025 | 2026 | 2027 | 2028 | 2029 | 2030 | 2031 | 2032 | 2033 | 2034 | 2035 | 2036 | | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* quick question, finished colonizing? usefulidiot 1,848 1 04/06/03 04:31 PM
by kindkesey
* Quick Question grateful_head 1,233 2 08/18/01 01:40 PM
by Billyblastoff
* New to the boards, and a quick question to start ! Anonymous 1,825 4 03/11/02 01:18 AM
by 2shrewmen
* Quick Question on Mushroom Drying MisterKite 969 6 01/16/03 04:01 AM
by debianlinux
* some quick questions about my treasure coasts alf 3,840 19 11/15/01 11:54 PM
by Anonymous
* Quick Question needs quick answer Wheedhead! 1,176 2 01/19/03 07:06 AM
by Wheedhead!
* quick question SuppaFly 1,039 1 09/18/02 02:41 PM
by mickey_rourke
* Re: Quick Question
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,529 22 06/14/00 03:46 AM
by hitterg

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,155,898 topic views. 20 members, 117 guests and 293 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.069 seconds spending 0.045 seconds on 18 queries.