Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

radiation influence on shrooms
    #2842881 - 06/30/04 07:47 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I realy didn't know where to post this , so you can move this thread if someone thinks that it fits in some other place ...

I got an interesting information today , i talked with my father about the Czernobil accident .

The interesting thing , that i want to talk about , is influence of radiation on shrooms . My father told me that few years later after the accident all kinds of shrooms started to grow like insane here . Even some spieces showed up that were never seen before . Well , of coarse they didn't pick and eat any of thoose becose they were warned that the mushrooms could have nuclear contamination ... Years after , everything turned to normal ...

What realy happened to theese shrooms ? Why did they grow that much ? I wasn't born in that time anyway so i realy don't have any live experiences ...

ps. i have a scource of alpha radiation at home , maybe i could try to effect the shrooms with it ...

Edited by baltazar (06/30/04 03:28 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: baltazar]
    #2843179 - 06/30/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have no idea why they did grow so much (if indeed that is true), or why new species popped up (completely new species, or ones not naturally occuring in that area?). I have to say that is very interesting information, I would like to read more about it. I don't really think using radiation on any mushroom would be wise. I think you would just end up with negative effects, not like the ninja turtles or anything like that. It would be interesting to learn more about this phenomenon. I did find this interesting though in a quick search:

Similar studies by CEH?s Merlewood laboratory have shown that restrictions on mushroom consumption will need to continue until 2150.

WOW! That's a long time to wait before the mushrooms there are safe to eat...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #2845173 - 06/30/04 08:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, I recally hearing something somewhere that mushrooms are relatively radiation-resistant.  Combined with the fact that the radiation would weaken other life in teh area, well, this makes for a saprophyte's dream.  :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineYahoKa
Just a guy.

Loc: Canadian
    #2845416 - 06/30/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm, dunno about your question, but actually if you had the right stuff, radiation would be a great way to sterilize cakes.

--------------------
Hang on tightly ... and let go lightly.

Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: YahoKa]
    #2845684 - 07/01/04 12:15 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well , for any experiements one would need to have at least beta radiation source .

Alpha rays allready blocked with a piece of paper , beta ( electrons and pozitrons ) is moving at speed like 150000 km/s and it is blocked with a 2-3 mm aluminium plate ...

Gamma rays are to dangerous to play with in this experiment ...

Offlines22861318
Stranger
    #2846062 - 07/01/04 02:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Alpha rays (actually alpha particles) won't do you much good. They are just He2+ ions (the nucleus of helium, 2 protons and 2 neutrons) and travel only very short distance (< 1 mm in water) so you may have some difficulty getting them to reach any decent sized target. They are ionizing however and are therefore dangerous if ingested.

I'd be careful playing around with radiation and anything you plan to put into your body at any stage...

Hope this helps!

Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: s22861318]
    #2846195 - 07/01/04 03:35 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well , im actualy not planing to eat any shrooms that i would do such experiments on ...

Im just interested in this phenomenon ...

Invisiblephobey
watcher

Loc: home
    #2849930 - 07/02/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What is the point ?? Besides making a biohazard!

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #2854090 - 07/03/04 01:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh come on, aren't biohazards fun though? You should (if you decide to do something with it) keep up this post. Interesting stuff. :mushroom2:

OfflineZalusar
Stranger
    #2858457 - 07/05/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I doubt the radiation had much affect on the shrooms themselves, just everything around it. Similiar to what happens to shrooms after a forest fire.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: Zalusar]
    #2858927 - 07/05/04 01:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Err, radiation and what happens after a fire are -completely different things-.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

OfflineZalusar
Stranger
Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: Sev]
    #2859207 - 07/05/04 03:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, but there effect(death/sterilization) are not.

OfflineSev
Astropath
    #2862526 - 07/06/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Err, no.

Fire is an acute condition. It wipes out the growing things, and lets the stuff under the ground (which generally doesn't get too hot) grow out and use up all of the nutrients they've found laying around.

Radiation still kills things, but it continues to do so, constantly damaging living things that're exposed to it. It can weaken and mutate organisms. It can penetrate a few feet into the ground. Fire doesn't do that.

--------------------

OfflineZalusar
Stranger
Re: radiation influence on shrooms [Re: Sev]
    #2864102 - 07/07/04 08:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Keep on telling yourself a forest fire has no pasteurization/sterilization effects on the area AND the ground if you want, but you'd be wrong. It isn't like the heat needs to go 3 feet into the ground or something.

OfflineSev
Astropath
    #2866689 - 07/07/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Zalusar said:
Keep on telling yourself a forest fire has no pasteurization/sterilization effects on the area AND the ground if you want, but you'd be wrong. It isn't like the heat needs to go 3 feet into the ground or something.

You, sir, have completely and utterly missed the point.

--------------------

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2870582 - 07/08/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well what you are talking about is studying the mutagenic effects of the radiation, correct?

This is done in genetics labs today as a way to pinpoint where a certain trait lies on the DNA or chromosome. You have to start with hundreds or even thousands of cell lines and subject them to random mutation, then grow them out and document their properties. Almost all of them will show no physiological change or they will die. Unfortunately there is not much funding on cubensis research so we are pretty much screwed.

Scientifically, we would be more interested in the genetic mutants that lack the ability to produce psilocybin, because we could then begin to elucidate the genes and thus the pathways that create it. From there it would be a snap to engineer plants and bacteria (maybe animals?) to produce psilocybin. :p

Invisibleretread
-=HasH=-
    #2890844 - 07/14/04 05:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sorry for not having a source for this, but I read somewhere that mushrooms (or maybe it was marijuana?) were planted/spawned near the site accident as they can readily absorb radioactive metals and other environmentally unsound things. Just a possibility.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck