Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Agar, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
super potent shrooms
    #387406 - 09/06/01 11:12 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I have had much experience at observing mushrooms in the wild. I have noticed that a few of the mushrooms seem to stick out sorta like sore thumbs. Out of all these mushrooms maybe ten or so picked from an isolated location were five to ten times as strong as the others. One gram of these cubies was potent dosage. These were truly unique cubies. I believe that new spore races are constantly being created and then absorbed back in to the original species, ?as a natural function?. This could be part of the species evolution. This especially holds true to where the cubies sustain long uninterrupted isolated reproductive cycles. It would be much easier to isolate a new super potent spore race from the wild where it evolves naturally, then to poke around under a microscope for hours in which your final result maybe fruitless. Of course, some will say that there are environmental factors that play in to the production of the scheduled substances of the fungus such as nutrition, climate, etc. But according to the research I have done on the reproductive cycles of the mushroom, nature would be the ultimate laboratory to observe mutations, and desirable aspects of certain spore races. I am wondering if my observations are correct, would it be possible to isolate a higher potency strain from something that came from the wild! Please comment on any observed potency variation from wild mushrooms.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: super potent shrooms [Re: audiophile]
    #387468 - 09/07/01 12:11 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Almost all the spore races available from the vendors originally came from the wild. If you have some very potent wild cubies, then you should try and domesticate them and introduce a new spore race, maybe a more potent one. Wild shrooms are almost always more potent then their indoor counterparts.

For supplies: Dr Bluethumb
For spores: FSR

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
    #387502 - 09/07/01 12:37 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I see what you are saying, and I think there are far stronger strains in the wild. How ever some of these strains could be short lived, and only apear once making them dificult to isolate. Not to mention I tried to cultivate them and came up with a strain that would not fruit. These particular cubies came from the southern texas/lousana border area.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #387928 - 09/07/01 02:15 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

interesting thoughts. that's the line of thinking ive been following when growing shrooms... i've only bought spores once and most of my experience comes from growing mushrooms from prints taken from the wild. they were the very fucking best... big fast growing unique shrooms with big spore prints, real strong shit, i say that bcs my only level 5+ trip of my life came from about 1 gram of those dried cubes (grown indoors, not wild). recently, when i re-started growing shrooms, i went to the 'jungle' again for some prints (and fruits =d~~~), big problem, there were almost none at all. what the hell, i thought, i took the prints i could (and the shrooms, afterwards!), they kicked in great but i ended with mycelium that is unable to fruit...
ive been told that growing some on agar and making some transfers could help but i think it should be worthier going again to the jungle and getting a lot of good thick prints... at this point a lot of you will scream about contaminants in prints from the wild and stuff but from my experience, its not even hard to get viable wild prints. i think that's what everybody should do, instead of buying and perpetuating these strains with brand names... im sure that where most of us live (unless youre a skimo or something) its pretty likely to have your own unique strains growing, already adapted to the envoirment you have... its now up to you to find the strongest and most striking shrooms... ;)

i hate witty sigs / if anything i say has something in common with reality, this is a merely a coincidence.

Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
    #388118 - 09/07/01 06:30 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Your thoughts are much the same as mine! I just wish there were more people intrested in collected strains from the wild. The only problem is not knowing weither your getting a species that will fuit.

Anonymous

#388338 - 09/08/01 12:15 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

ALL the SPORE RACES being exchanged are from wild prints. These prints were multispore germinated, and the best that print had to offer in the environment they were grown in, is the resulting "strains" that are being sold and exchanged.
Usually shrooms grown indoors are more potent then the ones growing in the wild. According to research done on potency, outdoor mushrooms had a bigger differential of potency, then the more consistent indoor grown. Your chances of having an entire flush of less variation in potency is increased by growing indoors.
There is nothing wrong with wild sporeraces, I too actually prefer to play with the wild strains, but I also like the HEIRLOOM sporeraces that have been grown for many years.
I never found a cubensis that would really make me go, on one dry gram.
Just remember, even the spore races that are in circulation, are exchanged in the spore form. So true domestication is really limited. All these mushrooms are being grown on a wide variety of substrates, in a wide variety of environments. I doubt inbreeding has really come into play in the thirty years that they have been cultivated. We are dealing with spores not individual strains, every print has a wide variety of strains in it, some will perform better at their own optimum environmental parameters. Some like the cold, some the hot, some like rice, some do not!!!

Anonymous

Re: super potent shrooms [Re: ]
    #388346 - 09/08/01 12:18 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Also, if you find a really potent shroom in the wild, clone it. Then you are certain to have the genetics at least for producing increased potency. Then it is just a matter of finding the right environmental parameters to express that increased potency potential.

Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
    #388622 - 09/08/01 12:45 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

The shrooms that were picked, not only were they potent, but they seemed to produce a very high volume of spores compared to there counter parts. They were all BLACK/PURPLE, with spores there seemed to be some differences in the gills also, they were very close together. The caps were thick and dried to an almost leathery appearance. There was a reflective multi color golden spectrum effect when the cap of the shroom was examined closely. They were not the tall cubies most of us think of, but rather a short stubby version only three inches tall, the caps were only about four inches in diameter. A higher than usual degree of bluing was observed. I have seen tall stands of pristine cubies growing in the wild but this was something different. But I?m still confident they were of they were cubies.

Anonymous

#388625 - 09/08/01 12:48 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

If there are visible differences that help you seperate them from the normal cubies in the field, and you know they are higher potency without having to ingest to know. CLONE THEM

Offlinemycologist
Stranger
Loc: San Francisco area
Re: super potent shrooms [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #389170 - 09/09/01 04:36 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

> Wild shrooms are almost always more potent then their
> indoor counterparts.

Not true from what I've read. I read, either in Guzman's monograph or Stamete's field guide to Psilocybe, that wild P cubensis is generally lower in psilocin and psilocybin that cultivated P cubensis, and that the concentration of these chemicals in wild Pc is more variable as well. This is because cultivated mushrooms grow under far more optimal nutrient conditions than in wild environments, and this removes many of the limiting factors on secondary compound production.

M

Edited by mycologist on 09/09/01 03:37 AM.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#389571 - 09/09/01 06:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

i think you're talking about subbies, when you describe shorty cubes... thats what grows down here also. ;)
my bro came from the wild, bored with some shrooms and gave me, complaining none were of the good ones. but they were =) im making some prints now, lets see...

i hate witty sigs / if anything i say has something in common with reality, this is a merely a coincidence.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: super potent shrooms [Re: mycologist]
    #389730 - 09/09/01 09:58 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

You are right, the outdoor shrooms have a higher variability in potency, but so do indoor cultivated. Granted the mushrooms from a series of flushes in grower A's home will have a close relative potency, but the potency can be highly different from grower B's series of flushes. If you grow in an environment that promotes secondary metabolite function then your shrooms will always be more potent, but almost everybody uses a different environment to grow in (most not being the best for alkaloid production) so thats why I say indoor grown aren't usually as potent as wild grown. But thats not an absolute statement. I apologize for making it sound like all wild cubies are super potent and indoor are the "ditch weed" of the cubie world. There are alot of cubies that do grow super potent indoors, and alot that aren't as good, but the same goes for outdoors. I

For supplies: Dr Bluethumb
For spores: FSR

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
Re: super potent shrooms [Re: mycologist]
    #391650 - 09/11/01 09:44 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Well what I have read is that potency variation in the wild can be on a range of 1-10. Indoor 1-4. Meaning that one shroom from the wild maybe ten times as potent as another picked in the same field. Indoors your shrooms may be 4 times as potent as the ones your neighbor grew. "Hypothetically." What if some one had seen hundreds of pounds of wild shrooms, and observed many different characteristics over a period of time? Combing through those mass quantities to find the best possible specimens could have great implications on cultivation. I know there are those that are out there looking in the fields for shrooms, but if you can find them in the wild why bother growing or taking spore prints. Can any one comment on any success stories with domesticating wild strains.

Offlineaudiophile
Stranger
Re: super potent shrooms [Re: felixhigh]
    #391662 - 09/11/01 09:52 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Also what happens during the domestication processes, will the strain enjoy the vitality it enjoyed in the wild? furthermore I am sure I read somewhere that it could be possible that competitor molds or fungus could actually trigger some characteristics in the fungus. Such as spore production, and possibly potency. Any comments on this subject?

Anonymous

#392320 - 09/12/01 02:08 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

All these strains came from the wild, and they are very healthy. Remember, all these strains are traded by spore, so there is very little deteriation, like a culture might experience after many years of continued growing. But if you find something special in those hundreds of pounds of wild shrooms, by all means clone it and keep it, with a little luck, it might produce good indoors.
I used to live were I could pick wild shrooms, but now I don't. I am glad I printed alot of them, and made clones of some nice wilds. I think indoors the idea is too eliminate contaminants, not use them to trigger possible changes in the mushrooms.

Offlinefelixhigh
KIA
Male User Gallery

#392762 - 09/12/01 10:01 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

about taming shrooms, it was no problem at all when i first cultivated shrooms. i would simply take prints from selected (the best looking/blueing ones), wild ones, and it would suceed. but when i restarted growing lately (shrooms indoors always die over here during summer - TOO hot), i found myself with some culture that would grow alright, striking and with no problems, but in the end it didnt fruit at all. all i got were some pre-abhorts that would slightly stain greener than bluer. i wont bother about agar culturing and mediums, now im trying to clone one of those my bro brought back and growing some of their prints... this should get me off... they're the pretty same shrooms from the same place ive ever gathered, so i'll pray and see what happens...

Anonymous

Re: super potent shrooms [Re: felixhigh]
    #393387 - 09/13/01 03:17 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It is not the heat that stops them from growing, it is the other environmental factors associated with high heat, mainly a lack of moisture. You can find them growing continuosly from the time they are first found, until a strong freeze. The mycelium is already there established, it just needs the proper moisture/ evaporation rate. If it is 95 F outside, you can still find old fields with tall pockets of grass, in wet areas, that are producing.
Maybe your indoor cultivation tek needs some adjustment. If you are getting pins, you should get some matures, unless your isolate is really bad, or your environment is not proper. I have looked at countless strains of cubies from wild and cultivated spore races. I have had only one isolate stall after producing buttons. It was a GT from a trade, supposed to be from HAWK, but after all the bitching I heard about PF strain, and the fatasses, I think that is what I got. It produced shitloads of Pins, but they will not grow up. I got one to develope, a very thick spongy stem, swollen at the base, and a opened cap with no spores. FATASS. Nothing would make the rest grow up. Needless to say I will not be growing those again. If they all matured or even 1/4 of them it would have been worth it, one of the best textured cubies I ever saw, but one out of 200 pins+, that sucks. I know my environment was good, because several other sporerace isolates were fruiting beautifully in the same environment.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Agar, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology