Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Anti-Anthrax Radiation Will it damage my MUSHIES!!
    #862577 - 09/04/02 12:27 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I wasn't sure if this was the place to post this hehe but I knew it wouldn't be in the faq:)

Not directly in the news you kind of have to search for it but the mail is now being scanned by a radiation that is supposedly supposed to combat antrax and bio-chemical warfare products sent through the mail what is this machine called you may be asking it's called a Irradiation machine heres an excerpt about what their currently trying to do about sensitive material

"The Postal Service is working with the mailing industry to develop procedures to ensure that sanitization of the mail will not damage sensitive items in the mail. Sanitization technology is currently being tested on a wide range of film products, digital and magnetic storage devices, laboratory samples, food and plant products, and "smart" credit cards with embedded chips to ensure that all business mail can be safely processed through the postal system."

Plant products huh I hope damn well that there is some scientist who is a mushroom enthusiast and is researching the effects this radiation will have on our spores, and lil shroomies that are sent via mail wouldn't they have to research this for the botanists who send their spore prints all over???. But so far it doesn't look real good maybe some experiments are in order???? or not...........

Another excerpt

Even the small doses of radiation needed to kill bacteria could be enough to damage sensitive materials like photographic film.

I think that sending spores will still be fine and we will prevail but preinnoculated jars might not do so well it'd probably damage the mycellium(sp)

Then again I could be very very mistaken another excerpt

Irradiation destroys living cells by disrupting their chemistry on a molecular level but can also alter plastics if it can screw up plastics what can it do to my MUSHIES??????

*EDIT*
You'll have to pardon my strange hyperactiveness after spending time on the other drugs sort of FAQ I'm preparing my mind needs a good jolt of joy plus it's 3:34am here

Edited by BleedingSickness (09/04/02 12:29 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
Re: Anti-Anthrax Radiation Will it damage my MUSHI [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #862702 - 09/04/02 03:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I think the whole mail irradiation thing is pack of lies to make joe public feel safer. I've sent spores and cultures to the US with no problems. I don't see how they could produce an irradiation system that could kill anthrax and all the other "bad" microorganisms selectively.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Anti-Anthrax Radiation Will it damage my MUSHI [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #862845 - 09/04/02 05:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There is pretty much no way to make selective radiation sterilization, the radiation particles hit the nucleus of the cell and jolt the DNA around causing mutations and 99/100 times kill the cells, 1/100 times it alters them and they don't die (ie. cancer, fast growing masses). a cell is basically a cell. unless it's got a cell membrane made of Lead, they're all gonna get hit.

But i agree with Champigions, i think it's also a scam to make people feel safe.

OfflineDelariand
Math.random()
Loc: Uzbekistan
Re: Anti-Anthrax Radiation Will it damage my MUSHIES!! [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #863080 - 09/04/02 08:47 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I read a post on the Overgrow forums from someone who claimed to be a postal worker. It may or may not be true but regardless his point made sense.

He said there's like five of these machines in existence, mostly in major east coast mail distribution facilities, and they're expensive to own, maintain, and use. Your spores probably will make it from the vendor to your doorstep without ever seeing the inside of an irradiation machine

--------------------
-

There once was a bud named BC
He grew on a seven foot tree
Then one day I plucked him
To roll him and smoke him
And now I can barely see!

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
Re: Anti-Anthrax Radiation Will it damage my MUSHIES!! [Re: Delariand]
    #863843 - 09/04/02 04:58 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yes it is true that there are only these machines in the east currently I have several sources that tell me this is so:) I'm not exactly sure where they are but I know that there are about 5-10 of them. I would that cleary washington Dc would be a place and most likely New york as well. So far everything I've ever sent has done fine but for the future if they do actually input more of these machines which they plan to in another article that I read

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
    #872064 - 09/09/02 10:53 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Theres a few posts here about it in the security forums by a shroomerite who works for the man, also saying where the locations are..

Offlinesomacraft
amateur
    #887656 - 09/17/02 09:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Most vendors have a very reasonable replacement policy. If one vendor suddenly starts getting lots of replacement requests, then it will become pretty obvious to them that something is happening to their product in transit that is damaging the spores. If all packages that are sent out are damaged in this way, the vendor will know that the local post office is the problem. If packages from a certain geographical region are the only ones that seem to have problems, then that will serve as a further clue to the vendor.

There are other delivery methods besides the postal service. If only a certain region is affected, the vendor can insist on another shipping company to reach that area. If the problem seems more general, then it may be possible to ship all orders via a different carrier.

Capitalism has certain built in problem solving mechanisms. When a business owner identifies a problem that is costing them money, they can take action to address it. There is simply too much potential money to be made in supplying spores to interested parties for vendors to let a little thing like irradiation prevent them from delivering quality products.

Soma Craft

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PureVPN PureVPN   NordVPN NordVPN   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology