Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Balloons, Cracker, Microscope, Morning Glory Seeds, Nitrous Oxide, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OnlineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here - Right Now
How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!)
    #581206 - 03/17/02 10:58 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

To actually create new kinds of Shrooms you shouldn't fear a little Genetic tampering with their Genome. But IT CAN BE DONE, even by virtual laymen.

First you should get your priorities straight. Do I want a different shape, texture, flavor, potency, Psilocybin-to-Psilocin ratio, growing rate etc etc etc. When you know what you want it's time to do some knitty-gritty toolshed Genetic Engineering.
Psilocybe Cubensis is the BEST species to do this with.

When spores travel trough the air, they're nuked by the UV-rays in sunlight to the point where the majority dies. Several of the spores that DO survive get their DNA scrambled to some degree. This is the reason why there are lots of Shroomspecies around & there's such wide variation. Wouldn't it be great If you could birth a new kind or even SPECIES of Shroom? You can, even in your toolshed!

The major ways to get this a-specific Mutation thing going is by following methods:

1...Mutagenic Chemicals. These could be funky Acridines, Nitrous Acid or even that inhalant called "Poppers" (Amyl/Isopropyl Nitrite) could be used for this.

2...High Energy Photons. This is basically UV through X-Rays to Hard Gammarays.

3...Nuclear Radiation. Alphaparticles, Neutrons, Accellerated Atomic Cores.

Now: You REALLY shoulden't use Mutagens. All of them can give you cancer & to say it friendly: Your GF/Wife Could give birth to a Ninja Turtle.
Hard Gamma & Nuclear stuff is just the ticket to deform the folks unfortunate enough to live on/visit your block when you shove the last Uraniumrod in.
But there's a great thing that's available to virtually all people here...

UV light is the Way To Go!!! There's "sterillizing" fluorescent tubes out there, primarily used in the meat industry & butchershops. Heck: even my barber has a little zapping box for nuking scissors & stuff that would be Ideal. If you SLIGHTLY supercharge a Blacklight tube it'll work as well, but too much & the X-rays & Gamma will be flying all over the place & yards into the ground !!! I suggest you use a "sterilizing" fluorescent and avoid supercharging ANYTHING.

Now: What to do with your UltraViolet light?

1...Make a sporesolution in water.
2...Zap it for a given time with UV. To check it add a little Glucose-water to it & wath it germinate under the microscope. You've got it right when there's 90-99% celldeath, meaning only 1-10/100 individual spores germinate.
3...Fill spore-syringes with it.
4...Inoculate a couple of cakes (PF-TEK style) with it. It's best to do over 100, but if you & the guys can even remotely manage 10.000 you really ought to do that.
5...Select the Shrooms that have the desired characteristics. If you're wise you'll ALWAYS add "vigorous growth & shroomformation" to your list. Save the spores from these for your next run: be willing to nuke 'em again to enhance the desired traits. Note: zapping generations with UV ALWAYS selects for higher resistance of spores for UV. You'll likely have to increase the exposure every X generations. Every once in a while (a long, long while probably) a new species shows up. But remember: most changes you make will vanish after several generations, unless they are MAJOR changes. Please notice you do NOTHING in this procedure that's UNNATURAL: This is what ALL Shroom spores in the Wild go through.

Now this procedure WORKS. The Sandoz-company used it successfully on Ergot to raise the Lysergic alkaloid content from a mere 50mg per liter of substrate to a wallopping 2.000mg/ltr. It's basic aspecific manipulation, and if you belong in this forum YOU CAN DO IT TOO. So if you're not reluctant to lend God a hand you easily can do this kinda thing. Remember: the possibility of your Shrooms getting poisonous or actually coming out of their jars and starting to nuke YOUR gonads is very, very remote.
Comments, anyone? (Sheesh: the Organic Hippies I just freaked will likely flame me to shreads...)

PS: All this is just theoretical & for your reading pleasure only, ofcourse...
Could you get your boot outta my ass Officer Homolka?

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :redpill:  :bluepill:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI
PSYCHOSIS, SYNCHRONICITIES, SHAMANISM & THE SUPERNATURAL WA&F

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetomldp
Shroomeur

Loc: Europe
Re: How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!) [Re: Asante]
    #581252 - 03/17/02 12:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Looks interesting, but it would involve too much work/material/care/precision/time. In the future, people may try genetic manipulation on cubes (like some do with weed). Anyway, thanks for thispost !

--------------------
:laugh: Visit and support the Free Spore Ring Europe :laugh:

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!) [Re: tomldp]
    #581328 - 03/17/02 01:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I agree, there are more precise methods of genetic manipulation available these days. True, they require more equipment, but the results are better. Most random mutations are bad and even if you could alter the psilocybin/psilocin potency, how would you measure it accurately?

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OnlineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Re: How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!) [Re: Workman]
    #581441 - 03/17/02 04:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

True: it requires alot of work, but if only very few people do this & then only in a poor way, I've still helped to put the Evolutionary clock of for instance P.Cub. a couple of millennia to millions of years ahead & that IS a good thing.

There are Miraculous possibillities today in the Biolabs. Take the Tobacco, get the unwanted genes out & replace them with a multifold of DMT Phalaris genes, plant a field of 'em and you''ve got one f#ck of a smoke that can kick the shit out of Marlboro any day of the week!
Take the Cannabis Indica, replace some stuff with some bacterial genes and you can grow killer outdoor Marijuana on the North Pole!
Take the Morning Glory Ipomoea, dance a little synthetic genetic Macarena with the LSA genes so they'll add two ethyls, making 'em LSD genes & every seed of the plant as strong as a wallopping microdot!

But good ole Evolution, albeit generally more slow, has made that single cell from long ago into all that lives on Earth today! Mutagenesis is a bitch when it makes folks ill, but without genetic mutation there wouldn't be folks at all. So these Demonized things like radioactivity, freeradical ions, solar rays from Hell, cancer & birth defect causing natural stuff is Godlike as well, because if these hadn't messed up our ancestors we wouldn't be here! All 3 things I've named can be done today or next week but it's well out of reach of the common grower. It both requires alot of skill/equipment & let's face it: A UV tube costs maybe $5 while specific alterations will likely cost the ten- to hundredthousandfold of that.

Think of Holland. Not them tulips but their bud that sledgehammers tourists by the busload! These were brought up to this within 20 years, not inna lab but by selective Evolution by backyard & hobbyroom Homegrowers. Now that, selecting your best Shroom for future inoculation,is done by every serious grower here. (let 20y pass on that!) But it can be drastically accellerated by the UV-tube!

Sure: most are poor, usually in growth-rate or capability of sporulation, but some will be total WINNERS. All of you will shun me as an ethical Dr. Frankenstein but using UV is like giving the Slotmachine of Life a good pull! And the chance of hitting one of the many jackpots is good with THIS slot, that good that it was one of the earliest methods but it's still used today, mainly in Antibiotics.

Lemme go back to Sandoz: A liter of liquid substrate yielded 100gr fresh mycelium of Ergot. So does P.Cub. in PDY-water. (yeast + dextrose in potato steepwater)
Wild Ergot gave 50mg Tryptamine-alkaloids/liter. (lysergic acid amides) So does P.Cub., only simpler ones (That's BETTER). Now they worked that up to over the 2.500mg/ltr mark. If you could get the Psilocin up to 2gr/ltr this would mean an alkaloid-accumulation up to 20%, meaning 0.1gr dried (1/300oz) is a strong dose.
There's a downside: The more potent, the quicker this strenght is lost. But a potency of, say, 20-60mg/gr should be reasonably stable. And hey: how about going Compost on a Superculture?! One in so many mutations will stick and then you get to name it Psilocybe Cubensis Hippii, maybe even Psilocybe Cooldudii and perhaps, because every shot is a chance at the Big One, Radman Cyanescens!!!

HOW TO DETECT SHROOM STRENGHT: The blue-ing is correlated wth the tryptamines, especially Psilocin. Now: simple bruising the shroom & checking the rate & intensity of the blueing with watch & colorcard is very reliable for potency. You can even make little test-tube Shroomteas & let them stand for a day at roomtemp to get total Tryptamine content. A near-black bruising (like my last S&M date got) indicates it probably is super enough to warrant test-trying some. Even if your shroom ontains only Psilocin it stores for years at below -5'F/-20'C any good freezer provides... (if dry & with little air too)
As for this: Let's call it UV-TEK or something like that & hope all this was worth making the Red List at ECHELON...

--------------------

From the Outcasts to the Incrowd, from the Clueless to the Helpful, it takes the whole Shroomery to help a n00b

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #581764 - 03/17/02 11:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Spliceing genes is not only difficult but extremely dangerous.
You should read up on your m-bio and virology before attempting ANYTHING LIKE THIS.. not that anyone here likely could, the equipment is extremely expensive.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Anonymous

#581869 - 03/18/02 02:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why is P. cubensis perfect for this? I would think Pan. bispora, or possibly tropicalis would be better suited too spore mutation experiments.

Cannabis on the north pole? wha wha what!!!!! Marijuana is what it is because of selective breeding that goes back thousands of years, not twenty years.

Offlinedi11rod

please don't [Re: Asante]
    #581911 - 03/18/02 03:15 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

this is not a very good idea at all.

the method you are advocating (creating random mutations via UV) is so hopelessly uncontrolled that the odds are astronimically higher the results will be crappier mushrooms rather than better strains.

i could hardly really care that somebody is growing crummier mushrooms except that there is so much spore trading going on that this practice would threaten the gene pool at large. not that it's going to make other mushrooms screwed up. what would happen is that you could never trust a spore print you got from someone and know that somewhere in the ancestral history some dumbass hadn't been subjecting the grandaddies to ultra-high levels of UV and now this spore print is going to spawn weakass mushrooms. want proof of this danger? look at PF's site and check out his explanation for what happened to his famous PF strain last year. he blames it all on accidental UV interference.

if you really want unique, new mushrooms, follow mjshroomer's example and visit faraway lands and pick wild mushrooms yourself and harvest the spores. heck, take a trip to the gulf coast if you don't have the budget.

Offlinelifetrees
Stranger
Re: please don't [Re: di11rod]
    #581967 - 03/18/02 05:13 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Nuking spore it is a very bad idea; But I'am asking myself if it is possible to make a cross between to strain of the same species starting by sporeprints. If you mix two tipe of spore, for example Cub.Thai+Cub. golden teacher in a cake, when rizomorphic mycelium will form there is a prob. that two rizomorphic myc. of different species mate toghether. If there is a very little difference in the genoma of the two they will mate toghether and form a new kind of strain. Now I do not know if I had understood completly the way mush produce carpophorus but it seems to me that this happen only when two different rizomomorphic filament cross one another coming from another spore ( or maybe also the same spore I am alittle confused 'bout that ) . So you can cross two differentstrain and produce another one if the gemona of the two strain it is not so different. It is the same that you do with flowers... And it is a safe preferred way that nature use is'nt it? It also appen in nature: did you ever seen mush of different sub species growing close in the same area that cross themselves? I' have seen in the species "Russula"(sorry do not know the name in Eng.). Last year i Have seen in the same pach of grass a "Russula esculenta ( green caps very good!)", and "Russula aemetica ( Purple red caps and hot on the tongue and non edible)" and a mush tha was a Russula with caps Green-brown that was hot on the tongue but less than aemetica : and was non another different species of Russula but a crossing between the other two.Maybe someone have tried this teck. succesfull. Sorry If I have said a bullshit ( it is that the terms for a big mistake, in Italy we said " Cazzata"?)

OnlineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Re: please don't [Re: lifetrees]
    #581997 - 03/18/02 06:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Gee guys: that's a lotta negativity...

Why would the Panaeoli you named be better? I'm really interested to know... As far as I know the Cubie is ideal because it's easily cultivated/good-sized/wide genetic variance, also in the Potency department & more along these lines.
Outdoor North Pole Marijuana? Just an example, but I think it could be done...

Sure the majority will be duds. But it's a great way to get to NEW stuff, albeit labour-intensive... I agree that "genetically beautified" Shroomspores shouldn't get into the sporetrade genepool, until proven it is both a stable & superior neostrain.

Injecting a cake with multifold thousands of spores will result in a "Gene War" where basically only the best spore combi will get to sporulate. So shooting up a cake with a vast number of spores will speed up Evolution too, & vigorous growth + sporulation WILL be criteria for selection then. In fact, it's basically the same thing as crowding a patch with Marijuana & taking the seeds of the ones that outgrew the rest, or the fact that you sow like 100 Pots & select the bestlooking 10 seedlings to reach maturity. But back to the Shrooms!

Since the best will outgrow the rest generally, mixing up spores to make what's known as an F1 Hybrid in the flower world is a great idea, since recombination of 2 different varieties of, say, P.Cub. will generally put out stronger & better shrooms than 2 spores of same cap. So if you mix up to vars that CAN recombinate, you're likely to get the cross between the two kinds you're looking for.

--------------------

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: please don't [Re: Asante]
    #582022 - 03/18/02 07:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Ok there is another method that would produce a super mutant shroom,. This would be done using Mitotic Inhibitors, which is a chemical that would double the amount of chromosome in the shrooms. The chemical that would be used would be Colchicine-Dimethyl Sulfoxide which is derived from the autumn crocus.
The chemicle is already used in creating super mutant cannabis plants.
Although the chemical is HIGLY POISONIOUS.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Offlinelifetrees
Stranger
Re: please don't [Re: EvilGir]
    #582057 - 03/18/02 08:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cochicine it is enormusly hard to obtain in a "by the counter" way, but...Ther's a trick: you can make an aqueous solution of the plants and bulbs putting the crocus in your moulinette and mulching all the stuff with water. Let stand overnight ( do not know the exact proportion but I think that 3 plants per pints will work!) then filtre the solution and put the spore inside it for maybe 24/48 H. It sounds to me like a thing that I'have read somewhere, times ago. Yes! Now I remeber : It is the way to obtain polyploid seed from cannabis and other plants. Now I dont remember where I have read this story and exactly about what a plant, but it works: i remember photos of very strange plants with an incredible numbers ofblade per leaf..Maybe it was exactly MJ. The only disadvantage of the methods with Mush. it is that you are not sure not to introduce a combination that make poisoning mush. Who would like to try it :-)?

Offlinelycopodium

Loc: nyc
Re: please don't [Re: lifetrees]
    #582177 - 03/18/02 11:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

some thoughts from a molecular biologist:

moral ethics aside,
for a comparable amount of work (the brunt of the work being to propogate generations and generations of potential new subspecies to screen for improvements) i would imagine that selective breeding would be a quicker route to the desired characteristic.
point mutations or mutations that are more specific than uv irradiation would be more effective, but in order to create a specific mutation one must have a genetic target in mind to mutate, this requires knowing about the biosynthetic process of the production of the alkaloids in question, and to date (to my knowledge), the entire enzymatic process is not known, even then, say a gene has an average of 2000bp and there are ten genes involved in the process, one would really have to look to the literature of analagous experiments involved in increasing metabolites by specific mutations, because this is just as much a shot in the dark as non-specific mutagenesis.
wiccan, i hope that you will take this matter into your own hands and experiment with it, do you (or your dog's cousin's left paw) have any intentions of doing so or is this just a random thought?

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #582265 - 03/18/02 01:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It can be done. Anyway, some people did some work already, Ps. Cubensis (and others Ps) genetic code. Hit the Nucleoides(or other) button after choosing the link.... the lineage links are also very interesting to follow...

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (03/18/02 01:30 PM)

Anonymous

#582738 - 03/18/02 10:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Photoperiod is gonna be a bit tricky to overcome at the northpole!!!

Cubensis is heterothallic and tetrapolar. Pan. bispora is homothallic. One spore contains both nuclei necessary to make the dikaryon. NO COMPATABILITY issues to overcome!!!

OnlineAsanteA
flip-flop magician
Male User Gallery

Re: please don't [Re: lycopodium]
    #583083 - 03/19/02 08:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

A friend of a friend did this "UV-TEK" for two years, but stopped doing it after he got a "permanent" alteration he liked. He's now generations further with the same strain (he only grows for personal use) and the (slightly) enhanced potency still is about equal to the Azurescens, him growing Cubies.
Two years of zapping and especially SELECTING was alot of work for him. The majority were duds, alot never even fruited at all.
His strain seems to be relatively richer in either Psilocin or Tryptamine breakdown enzymes, because it keeps not as well as the average Cubie, but I imbided myself & it's a good & potent Shroom.

I agree that selective breeding is THE way to go for most, but in the long run I think the chance of something new coming up is somewhat greater with this TEK than with the usual stuff.
I myself do a little growing every now & then but have personally decided that the UV-TEK isn't for me after some experiments.

But I really think UV-TEK will prove to be to the benefit of the Shroom because it accellerates it's Evolution and that isn't a bad thing usually...
I ain't no expert molecular biologist, tho...

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #583619 - 03/19/02 08:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Wiccan, if you don't know me, let me tell you something about myself. If I fuck up and make a bad call, I'll apologize and retract it. I'm not a hardass, just opinionated some times. That being said:
In reply to:

enhanced potency still is about equal to the Azurescens, him growing Cubies.

Bullshit
If i'm wrong, I'll apologize. But I call bullshit. Send a print to some vendors (workman/psilocyber, ralph, ryche etc). Name it the Wiccan strain. We'll see if it's anywhere near as potent as the azure....
bullshit
you aren't the first to make this claim....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (03/19/02 08:46 PM)

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #583710 - 03/19/02 10:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I did some reading on this subject a while back. Here is a link to what I had to say.

I thought that the UV was supposed to be applied to petri dishes with mycellium growing on them (not spores). You want most of the petri dishes to die and the ones that survive will be possible mutants. Here is a GREAT article all about UV irradiation.

I personally think that with a lot of time and effort a mutant can be found that will produce excessive ammounts of psiloc(yb)in. The main problem is the only way to test potency is to eat mycellium or mushrooms and see for yourself, this is subjective and not very accurate. Also, eating a mutant strain MIGHT be dangerous, if your mutant strain produces a excessive amount of some other toxic subtance it could make you sick or even kill you. I don't think that this will happen since I don't know of any fatal or toxic substances that are produced by psilocybe mushrooms.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#583714 - 03/19/02 10:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

hey guess what, while doing some experiments

and keeping notes on post-it notes

I guessed trying to use that glue, in various

innoculation techniques. I think post-it notes may have

some sort of ingredients with great potential. I did a search

and saw some interesting

stuff.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!) [Re: Humidity]
    #583853 - 03/20/02 02:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Check out this page for more information of genetics.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

Re: How to CREATE new kinds of Shrooms. (For Real!) [Re: Humidity]
    #583859 - 03/20/02 02:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Nice Link Humidity!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Balloons, Cracker, Microscope, Morning Glory Seeds, Nitrous Oxide, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology