Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblepsilocyclops
Newb
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Accidental UV Mutagenesis on Psilocybe Cubensis KSSS
    #26920206 - 09/05/20 09:47 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Found a post in the r/UncleBen subbreddit where somebody grew out some rice spawn with KSSS from a multispore syringe and then spawned to bulk. The interesting part is that he used a blacklight to keep them lit while the mycelium colonized. I believe he only used the blacklight for 4 hours on the mycelium before switching to a regular light. Here is his description of what he did and a picture of the resulting fruits. I recall an experiment on here where somebody tried a few different methods to mutate cubensis fruits by utilizing UV but i don’t remember if there were any results worth writing home about. Anyway, thought you guys would appreciate the data here is what he did: “I kept my layered monotub under foil in the dark for 2 weeks, at which then I introduced FAE and Light. Just a Great Value 60 Watt LED Black Light, suspended 3.5 ft high between 2 monotubs. Had that on for 4 hours before switching to a Blue Great Value 60 Watt LED Light. Kept my light cycle at 12h On, and 12h off. With Misting and fanning for 2 min every 8 hours”
here’s the pictures of the resulting fruits. I messaged him to see if he has printed any, i want to know if these are true albinos or simply leucistic. Anybody that can link me to the old thread i’m talking about with the UV experiments i would greatly appreciate it.

First pic is first flush, second pic is second flush. If anybody has any information AT ALL about utilizing UV mutagenesis to produce mutated Cubensis PLEASE  post it in this thread as i find this subject super interesting.

--------------------
You must have eaten, like, a hundred bucks worth of pot, and, like, 30 bucks worth of shrooms man.

2020 mystery seed indoor LED grow https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/846644

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePliny_the_Elder
Stranger

Re: Accidental UV Mutagenesis on Psilocybe Cubensis KSSS [Re: psilocyclops]
    #26921064 - 09/06/20 12:13 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Mutagenesis seems unlikely, possibly just a reaction to low light. Black lights produce light in the UV-A wavelengths and I believe UV-C is required to mutate fungal cells.

OfflineMolecularConcept
Old School Back Again
Male User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Co
Re: Accidental UV Mutagenesis on Psilocybe Cubensis KSSS [Re: Pliny_the_Elder]
    #26921449 - 09/06/20 03:52 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

UV C is what mutates and destroys cells cen get them cheap on that electronic auction site

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #26922538 - 09/07/20 07:25 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Shit like that happens all the time with normal lighting :shrug:
Especially in poor conditions.

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

Invisiblepsilocyclops
Newb
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Accidental UV Mutagenesis on Psilocybe Cubensis KSSS [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26923394 - 09/07/20 04:59 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So there is probably no merit to using UV-A on mycelium for the most part? This sorta makes me want to experiment and see what kind of results i can get with the same isolate side-by-side. I will do my best to find info but for now it looks like i’ll just have to try it and see if it makes a difference.

--------------------
You must have eaten, like, a hundred bucks worth of pot, and, like, 30 bucks worth of shrooms man.

2020 mystery seed indoor LED grow https://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/846644

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
    #26930847 - 09/11/20 09:31 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

those uv LED def can bleach.. but albinos happen and why we see them on the market another possibility is he got a albino var from a vendor by mistake it happens.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Accidental UV Mutagenesis on Psilocybe Cubensis KSSS [Re: the man]
    #26944241 - 09/19/20 02:00 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I think UV-A and (part of) UV-B just leads to mushrooms tanning cause like us they produce melanin (and vitamin D) to protect themselves.

The world is filled with more or less mild mutagenic factors and mutations are also an important fundamental part of the everyday going ons of genetics.
Dosing your relatively strong mutagenic factor is the whole game, to be in that ballpark range where its neither just doing effectively nothing statistically speaking, nor making your fungi killed dead or mutated in ways that makes it wish it were dead, but just good enough odds to give you something cool but viable and productive enough.

Don't know the further details of this but i can imagine a potential problem (well can also be a benefit) is depending how you go about it you might not notice various mutants if they just get outcompeted by the normies - to a certain degree you could just consider that screening so that you are not left with something annoyingly weak.

I've only seen one UV-C induced cube so far which i am trying to get back. It is one of the strains in blended MS myc LI i have (who knows exactly how many such mutants there are really in there), i gotta say it looked more Cronenberged than other mutant cubes I've seen, i think there were more things wrong with it than is typical for varieties we are used to.

UV-C mutagenesis is something I'm quite interested in and there is a thread of mine around on it, but unfortunately i have a ton of unrelated complications to deal with before i can get back to my experiments.

good luck!

By the way i'm also curious if there are possibly methods to modulate epigenetics artificially, part of it is just gene regulation by iirc exons in which mutations could possibly have far reaching consequences - not just leading to a protein being shaped a little differently but how much entire groups of genes are turned on...
am still learning myself, but perhaps methylating agents could achieve a lot more in that department vs point mutations.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules