Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

Loc: va
F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism"
    #2860139 - 07/06/04 12:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---22098,00.html

Quote:

In an email to his company managers, Fridley stated that the company does not "play political propaganda films from either the right or the left."

The message also continues to state, "Our country is in a war against an enemy who would destroy our way of life, our culture and kill our people. These barbarians have shown through (the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001) and the recent beheadings that they will stop at nothing. I believe this film emboldens them and divides our country even more."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/movies/cst-ftr-moore05.html

--------------------
http://www.infowars.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism" [Re: synthesis]
    #2860150 - 07/06/04 12:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The movie is not banned in Iowa. Some "selected" theaters will not show it because they don't like it. That is their business not ours. If you don't like it don't go to their places of business.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

Re: F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism" [Re: z@z.com]
    #2860155 - 07/06/04 12:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i didnt say it was banned completely in iowa.
but it was banned in iowa, right? was it not banned in iowa? who said it was completely banned? thats just the way you took it, the title is accurate.

the title was to grab attention anyway :wink:
is this just another example of some POS exec that wont play a movie because he "doesnt like it." or is the real story that his reason for not playing the movie is it is "inciting terrorism" because the movie criticizes bush and our gov't. shouldnt movie theaters play movies that people want to see? people need to speak out about shit like this.

--------------------

Edited by synthesis (07/06/04 12:57 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #2860156 - 07/06/04 12:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

synthesis said:
but it was banned in iowa, right? was it not banned in iowa? the title is accurate.

It was not banned as anyone who owns a theater can still play the movie. A business simply chose not to play it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

#2860181 - 07/06/04 01:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the popular movie was banned by the owner of the theatre chain. the reason is enough to make my blood boil.

from Merriam-Webster online
banned:
1 archaic : CURSE
2 : to prohibit especially by legal means <ban discrimination>; also : to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of <ban a book> <ban a pesticide>

yeah he banned it.

anyway, the point is that this kind of shit shouldnt be going on. you may not have a problem with it, but many people do. the problem is when people say you are helping the "terrorists" because you might be critical of the gov't. if i lived in iowa i would be raising hell about this shit.
the movie doesnt incite terrorism, but you'd rather argue the use of the word "banned"  :crazy2:

--------------------

Edited by synthesis (07/06/04 01:27 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #2860228 - 07/06/04 01:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If I own a business and refuse to carry a certain product why exactly should that bother anyone?

I suppose it is a ban, but the term ban usually (but not always) implies government intervention and that is what I have a problem with.

--------------------

Invisiblesynthesis
everydayjunglist

#2860254 - 07/06/04 01:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i think anybody that owns a business has and holds that right. i dont really agree with every business owners decisions though, hence this post. i'd be pissed also if the local grocery store owner didnt like dijiorno pizzas and decided to ban them  :smirk: im not saying that he doesnt have the right. it just pisses me off to see this kind of shit happening.

--------------------

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2860357 - 07/06/04 02:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This sounds like The Passion to me.

Some theatres dont play every movie that comes out, its just what they decide is best for themselves. If a theatre dosent like the movie, they dont have to show it, or give reason to why they arent showing it.

Maybe they dont want to give money to Moore in anyway. I doubt F9/11 is a very popular movie in rural Iowa anyway.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2860619 - 07/06/04 04:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Technically, this doesn't even belong in this forum IMO.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2860638 - 07/06/04 04:57 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Don't be foolish. There is no "ban".

If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, don't post.

A business OWNER decided he doesn't wish to play a certain movie. That's his right. Just as it's your right to not patronize his theaters if that bothers you.

In the meantime don't pass off your piss poor understanding of a word as anything other than a personal flaw.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2860675 - 07/06/04 05:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Don't be foolish. There is no "ban".

If you don't understand the meaning of the words you use, don't post.

A business OWNER decided he doesn't wish to play a certain movie. That's his right. Just as it's your right to not patronize his theaters if that bothers you.

in which case the theatre owner has banned it from playing in his theatre.

aparently there was a ban and the use was proper...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism" [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2860681 - 07/06/04 05:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Try again

The theater owner wasn't banned from showing the movie. He CHOSE not to play it.

There was no ban, the use was improper.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (07/06/04 05:44 AM)

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#2860683 - 07/06/04 05:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I want to say "ZING!!", but this was pretty basic.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #2860684 - 07/06/04 05:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Try again

He CHOSE not to play it.

There was no ban, the use was improper.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:

aparently there was a ban and the use was proper...

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#2860685 - 07/06/04 05:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

The theater owner wasn't banned from showing the movie. He CHOSE not to play it

Two different statements entirely.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2860830 - 07/06/04 08:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There is little hope for America as long as people have such little grasp of the language. Or Canada.

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (07/06/04 08:36 AM)

Anonymous

#2860852 - 07/06/04 08:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

a theater owner declining to show a film at the cinemas he owns because he dislikes the political content is very different from what is implied in the title of this thread.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2860854 - 07/06/04 08:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> There was no ban, the use was improper.

There was a ban, but the use of the word in this case implies an improper scope. The owner banned his managers from showing the film in his theaters. The scope of the ban is to the owner's theaters, not to all theaters in Iowa. By including both the word 'ban' and 'Iowa' together in the same sentence (without additional context), the poster implied that the scope of the ban applied to Iowa as a whole, not just the theaters owned by a single censor. The original poster could have as easily claimed that "F911 banned in american theatres..." and been just as accurate (or inaccurate). The use of the word 'banned' was not improper; however, qualifing the word 'banned' with 'Iowa' was extremly misleading.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: F911 banned in iowa theatres for "inciting terrorism" [Re: Seuss]
    #2860860 - 07/06/04 08:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The use of the word 'banned' was not improper

I 'm still going to disagree.

He controls what is shown. He runs the company. No-one banned him from showing that movie.

--------------------

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
    #2860887 - 07/06/04 09:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It most definately should be, and is, completely within his rights not to show that movie.

Where I live there's only one indy theatre showing it. None of the major theatres are.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion