Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
the biggest problem is getting it into the substrate. My colonized cakes get so thick its nearly imopssible to get anything to soak in. My last attempt at doing much the same thing resulted only in the growth of some pretty green mold :(
I suppose that could be a problem, but as I have examined my old boxes I have found out that the rye inside is being a bit hollow. That could be possible, when not being possible I will post pics+results!
Rye/birdseed cakes are much more 'open' than PF style BRF cakes...which are very dense. Injecting into a more loose substrate [ie Rye] shouldn't be a problem at all.
As an experiment, earlier this evening I put about 5cc of dextrose water into a BRF cake that is just starting to get colonized [about 6 days old]. These cakes were already "supplemented" with some malt extract/dextrose/peptone, but the malt and dextrose cooked a bit too much so growth is a bit slow. The mix turned out a bit dry, so I'll inject a like amount of plain sterilized water into the other jars to keep the moisture content about equal between the jars and making it easier to compare results.
I want to report that I tried injecting the substrate into the one casing. After putting the needle in I couldn't release any substrate, the needle got filled so no substrate could be injected. After this I poured the substrate in the casingbox putting the mycelium back in the box.
Now the mycelium is soaking in the substrate.
Next I'm gonna put the casing out of the box and put it in a new cleaned with dettol box.
The mycelium should be soaked with substrate.
I have placed it in it's old box but I think it will contaminate more easy so it's gonna be transfered.
More to come!!
One week later......still looking at the casing.
After a chat with my teacher shroom growing I am convinced of the fact that soaking spend colonised rye in nutrient broth will lead to huge contams. Still the experiment is going on to see with my own eyes. The box the casing was soaked in, it's original box had some nutrient broth still in (not soaked up by the spend colonised rye). After putting the casing in another sterile box, the other box was placed in a corner. I checked up yesterday and it seemed bacterial slime was growing in the broth. Enough for me to be 80% convinced the spent casing with the soaked up nutrients is about to fail.
But as I believe the casing will develop some grow I will wait until I see it.
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta 1,217 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic | ]