Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Imagery of Time Travel
    #2769879 - 06/06/04 08:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The theory of relativity would state that time travel is possible, though the words time travel are a bit misleading. Going back in time could be imagined by theoretically having a car that could travel to any speeds. If a car goes from a starting line to 100 feet in front of it at 2 miles an hour, it will of course take longer than a car going that distance at 100 miles an hour. If we have a course that extends trillions of miles for this car to ride on and people cheering on all sides, we imagine the car starts out at the starting line. It starts out at 400 miles an hour, and to the people on the sidelines watching the car it is merely a blur passing by. It keeps accelerating, and to gets from point A to point B quicker and quicker. To the people it?s still just a blur that passes by in a fraction of a second. It passes the speed of sound and creates a sonic boom, and therefore gets to point B before the sound of the car can get there, making the sound stay constantly behind it. Then finally it reves up to the speed of light, and gets from point A to point B before the light reflecting off the car can get there, and before the people on the sidelines even become visible to the car. It goes so fast from point A to point B that time reverses, and the car sees the people that are standing there as they were before the car got there, as in it is seeing itself back in time! If it can continue to accelerate, then it will see earlier and earlier events.

I would say that time travel is therefore an illusion, because both the requirements that are shown in it, time and light, are illusions. Time is merely a measure of events by the creation of our ego; without an ego events pass by in less than a blink of an eye. This is why time is relative, and even with a reliable machine to measure it, it can be changed by increasing speed. Time is not the linear strict dimension we imagine it, but a dimension that can be bent and changed. Light, while real vibrations, is only going at a finite speed, and so if we can go faster than that finite speed, we can see what light is reflecting before it happened, creating the illusion of going back in time. Indeed, when the car stops, we wonder what will happen. It seems more probable, depending on how far in time the car went back, that time will pass much quicker than it seems, because it is merely a matter of the light catching up to him. While he may see dinosaurs, it?s entirely plausible that, unless the sense of touch is real, the dinosaur may only be like a 3D illusion, and will only last there for a tiny fraction of a second before time moves on at 186,000 miles a second (actually slower than this as it must go through air rather than a vacuum, but you get the picture.)

Also going with this, is that the time travel will probably be very odd. Since light will catch up much quicker than sound, it is possible that you will be hearing things from millions of years ago while only seeing things from a few thousand years ago. Smell, taste and touch, who knows?

Pretty far out

Edit: Hehe, whoops, I must've missed that when I was typing this, it's miles a second not miles an hour

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Edited by Ravus (06/07/04 02:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Imagery of Time Travel [Re: Ravus]
    #2769902 - 06/06/04 08:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That makes alot of sense, but does any directing force that powerful exist?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Imagery of Time Travel [Re: Grav]
    #2769912 - 06/06/04 09:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

By directing force, do you mean a vessel that can go that fast? Humans haven't created one, but I believe it is possible with the new forces we have recently discovered, most notably antigravity. I do not know what materials would withstand such an impact of travelling that fast, if any, but an engine that could process antigravity to propel an object forward may be able to exceed the speed of light. Antigravity has tremendous force, enough to create the speedy expansion of the universe that continues at this very moment, so if it could be created, why wouldn't it be able to send a vessel of a much smaller mass quickly also? It should work, but of course even if it is possible this is far off technology.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Anonymous

#2769941 - 06/06/04 09:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If I understand you correctly you are assuming that time travel must be done within our space/time continuum. This is the fundamnetal error when most people think about time travel. You are correct about the limitations that would prohibit such travel in that sense. However, to travel through time, you must travel outside our space/time continuum. Think of it this way: It is much easier to move to a different place in a rapid-moving river by getting out of the water and jumping back in, then moving up or down the current while in the water, no?

Effectively, jumping from one point to another in space/time would require travelling through the antimatter universe, which is utilized as a conduit. Dealing with three-dimensional space, one needs to create an electromagnetic field ala Tesla coils to encompass the target and then bend space/time. However, travelling to the correct point in space/time and maintaining correct atomic composition while rematerializing is a whole different issue and one that I'm unsure of. Think of the USS Eldridge scenario.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Re: Imagery of Time Travel [Re: ]
    #2769968 - 06/06/04 09:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, I was basing my idea of time travel on Einstein's theory of relativity, as that one has basically been proven while stepping outside the space-time continuum, well, that has many more questions. How can humans made of matter travel in an antimatter universe anyway? When they touched I imagine the vessel holding the human would be completely consumed and neutralized. Even holding antimatter if we were to create it would require it to be in a vaccum, not touching any other matter, otherwise it'd be like setting off a nuclear missile in the laboratory. It seems much more possible to travel fast enough to beat the vibrations of certain waves, notably light, than to jump outside the space-time continuum, if that's even possible.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2770021 - 06/06/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I see what you're saying now.

How can humans made of matter travel in an antimatter universe anyway?
Essentially, once you step outside space-time, you're no longer made of matter. You are pure energy. Energy travels faster than matter. Physical matter is energy in "condensed" form. Which leads to...

It seems much more possible to travel fast enough to beat the vibrations of certain waves, notably light, than to jump outside the space-time continuum, if that's even possible.
That's the thing, when you step outside space-time, you are "beating the vibrations", because you're travelling outside them, parallel to them. Antimatter, which is energy unlike particle matter as we know it, travels faster than matter, and is not subject to the limitations of physical matter as we now know it.

*waits for science master trendal to walk into this thread and kick our asses*

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan
    #2771287 - 06/07/04 12:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

*186,000 miles a second

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Imagery of Time Travel [Re: ]
    #2773566 - 06/08/04 01:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've got a lot to say in this thread...but I'm at work right now so it'll have to wait! Either tonight when I get home (and burn a bowl :wink: ) or tomorrow I'll post some nice tidbits for you all!

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2773786 - 06/08/04 03:23 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Most physics still assumes time, as a dimension, to be symmetrical like the other spatial dimensions. There's no real reason why things (events) should happen forward, instead of backwards. A backwards movement would be considered "time travel".

In a more practical sense, Einstein gave us the ability to slow our forward movement through time. He was the first to realize that time was a sepparate dimension, like the spatial 3 but different. All dimensions lie at 90 degree angles from all the others. Our movement through spacetime is always equal to the speed of light, so if we are sitting perfectly still spatially, we are moving at maximum velocity through time (=speed of light). The more speed you divert into spatial velocity, the more you take from the temporal axis, so your speed through time slows down. If you put all your speed into spatial v, you do not move through time at all. Light does not age :smirk:

This still, somehow, fails to explain our feeling of the passage of time...or really why we, and all events, can only move forward. Entropy might explain why things only move forward, as the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy, on average, increases. All known physical processes increase the total entropy of the universe by some ammount, so "on average" all processes should happen forward through time...to increase entropy. It still treats time as symmetrical, though, so entropy was higher in the "past", too! The "future" already exists, when you factor in quantum mechanics. We just haven't "got there" yet :wink:

So, I think time travel would look like a fast forward or rewind on the order of events around you. If you saw the remake of "the Time Machine", they captured my thoughts perfectly: everything around his machine happend faster and faster around him as he "flew into the future". That's if we don't find a way to just pop in and out of existence at random points...that would just look like a flash. :eek:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2773835 - 06/08/04 03:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

imagery of time travel, seems like dreams. Or dreaming... Retracing your thoughts.. tracing them.. being traced... losing trace. frames of mind... frames of time.

--------------------
What?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology