Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing
    #2572045 - 04/17/04 09:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said in the wake of the killing of Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the Hamas leader in Gaza, that "the United States is gravely concerned for regional peace and stability."

"The United States strongly urges Israel to consider carefully the consequences of its actions," he said. "And we again urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint at this time."

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: Swami]
    #2572071 - 04/17/04 09:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
...exercise maximum restraint at this time."

unforunately, none of the people in that area of the world can restrain any of their hatred.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2573269 - 04/18/04 08:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Some other reactions taken from the BBC website, notice the worldwide condemnation bar the US and Israel:

Quote:

Raanan Gissin, spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon:

"Abdel Aziz Rantissi was clearly one of those that was leading the battle against Israel, against Jews, co-ordinating actions between the various terrorist organisations in Gaza - and, since we failed to bring him to justice, we brought justice to him today. And so we will do with the rest of the heads of the terrorist organisation."

Israeli Ambassador to the UN Dan Gillerman:

"I think that the demise of this man, the fact that he is no longer with us, is very good news for the freedom-loving world, for the war against terror and in fact should be greeted with very great satisfaction by the moderate Arab states."

Israeli Likud MP Yuval Steinitz:

"Why is the death of Rantissi against international law and the death, say, of [Osama] Bin Laden is consistent with international law when Rantissi said just said a few weeks ago that he is going to kill all Jews in the land of Israel, and by the way, that he is also going to target Americans?

"How do you like us to fight terrorism?"

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei:

"The Palestinian Cabinet considers this terrorist Israeli campaign is a direct result of American encouragement and the complete bias of the American administration towards the Israeli government."

Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat:

"I have always said what we need is not the mentality of revenge and retaliation. When nation states like Israel act like mafia and gangsters and (with) assassinations, and incursions and demolishing of homes and collective punishment I don't think this will lead the Israelis to more peace."

Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi:

"I think this is just another escalation in a policy of utter lawlessness and cruelty by the Israeli occupation. And all this spin about Israel defending itself is entirely unacceptable and immoral, in addition to being illegal. You cannot adopt a policy of assassination; you cannot decide that you are judge, jury and executioner.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan:

"As we have repeatedly made clear, Israel has the right to defend itself from terrorist attacks...

"The United States is gravely concerned for regional peace and stability. The United States strongly urges Israel to consider carefully the consequences of its actions, and we again urge all parties to exercise maximum restraint at this time. This is especially true at a moment when there is hope that an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza will bring a new opportunity for progress toward peace."

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana:

"The European Union has consistently condemned extrajudicial killings. Israel has a right to protect its citizens from terrorist attacks, but actions of this type are not only unlawful, they are not conducive to lowering tension."

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw:

"The British government has made it repeatedly clear that so-called 'targeted assassinations' of this kind are unlawful, unjustified and counter-productive."

French Foreign Ministry statement:

France "declares once again that extrajudicial executions contravene international law and are unacceptable."

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini:

"Italy, like the whole of the European Union, has always condemned the practice of targeted assassinations, which contribute to furthering the spiral of hatred and violence."

Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko:

"Moscow is seriously concerned about the potential consequences and worsening tensions in the Middle East. Russia has repeatedly stressed the unacceptability of extrajudicial settling of scores and 'targeted killings',"

"We do not contest Israel's right to defend itself from terrorist acts and protect its citizens but it must act within international law."

Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer:

"At the end of the day it's unwise to be assassinating, successively, the leaders of Hamas. It's likely to inflame the situation."

Arab League spokesman Hossam Zaki:

"We are condemning this. It is state terrorism and this is clear proof that Israel cannot live in a climate of stability. They do not want a climate of stability. They need a climate of tension and violence."

Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher:

"The policies of assassination and destruction pursued by Israel will only widen the circle of violence and will not lead to security and peace."

Israel "uses every chance to fool the world, to kill opportunities for peace and push the region to the edge of the abyss."

Lebanese Culture Minister Ghazi al-Aridi:

"This is an ongoing soap opera and we'll see more murders of Palestinian leaders... This is absolute terrorism in all senses of the word."

Jordanian government spokeswoman Asma Khodr:

"The Jordanian government denounces this odious crime and sees it as a loss in hopes for achieving peace in the region. Jordan has always denounced this policy of assassination and its position on this has always been clear."

Statement from UN Secretary General Kofi Annan:

"The secretary-general condemns Israel's assassination of Hamas leader Abdelaziz Rantissi."

"He reiterates that extrajudicial killings are violations of international law and calls on the government of Israel to immediately end this practice."

"He is apprehensive that such an action would lead to further deterioration of an already distressing and fragile situation."

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: Edame]
    #2573319 - 04/18/04 09:29 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

But of course the US and the Israeli's know best...

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Edited by GazzBut (04/18/04 11:03 AM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #2573331 - 04/18/04 09:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

HELP WANTED: Upper level management position has very recently opened up here in the Gaza Strip. Interested people must be willing to travel and have strong management and public speaking skills, as well as a volcanic hatred for Jews. There is no life, health or dental insurance offered for this position. This is a temporary assignment, unlikely to last more than a month. Phone 1-800-HAMAS4U

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: Phred]
    #2573352 - 04/18/04 10:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

You rascal!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: Phred]
    #2573418 - 04/18/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ho! ho! ho! seriously unfunny.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: GazzBut]
    #2574670 - 04/18/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Israel deserves a pat on the back. Both Rantisi and Yassin were awful people who preached pure hatred and deliberately murdered hundreds of innocent people. Hamas calls for the total destruction of Israel, genocide against Jews everywhere, and for their part back up their threats by blowing up buses and hotels worth of innocent people. Those fuckers were cold blooded murderers who surrounded themselves with children as human shields, not spiritual leaders. Everyone in the middle east is better off without them. Even the Palestinian authority doesn't have to compete with them anymore. There is no peace process that would have involved either of them. Good riddance.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2575269 - 04/18/04 10:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

c'mon.

laugh a little.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2576477 - 04/19/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe Israel would deserve a pat on the back if they were trying to achieve a fair peace, but first USA & Israel legalize Isreali occupation without negotiations and against entire international community and then kill another Palestinian leader. The only plan I see behind this is that USA & Israel want a total war against muslims and more terrorist attacks that will allow them to put more control on their own people.
Or they're really so stupid that they think that the reaction of Palestinians will be: "Thank you very much for occupying our territories, ethnic cleansing and killing our leaders. Thank you for deciding our faith without asking us. We will stop all terrorist attacks and live in peace with our eternal friends Israel & USA."

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: afoaf]
    #2576832 - 04/19/04 07:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Why? I didnt find it amusing. So sorry.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#2576835 - 04/19/04 07:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Both Rantisi and Yassin were awful people who preached pure hatred and deliberately murdered hundreds of innocent people.

Oh, just like Sharon then.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2576978 - 04/19/04 09:22 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Oh, just like Sharon then.

Ouch!  :laugh:

Anonymous

#2577003 - 04/19/04 09:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

do you think rantisi would have been the cleric who kissed and blessed the 911 suicide murderers or was it the cleric before him?

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2577296 - 04/19/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

They'll have someone just as bad in there tomorrow.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: ]
    #2577372 - 04/19/04 12:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Not sure, but Im pretty sure they both cursed the Israeli's who seem to enjoy killing countless innocent Palestinians and also bulldozing their houses and destroying their livelihoods.

Once again though, I am not defending suicide bombers here I am just aware that BOTH sides are terrorists in their own way but only one side is bankrolled and protected by the most powerful nation on earth.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2577488 - 04/19/04 01:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Once again though, I am not defending suicide bombers here I am just
aware that BOTH sides are terrorists in their own way but only one side is bankrolled and protected by the most powerful nation on earth.

And the other side is supported with money and arms from the richest shieks on the earth.

I'd say that the way to tell who is the "least wrong" in this situation is to see how either side would run the show if their desires were met.

If Israel was no longer being constantly assaulted by the Arab world, it would be a democratic nation. Their would be free elections, according to the Constitution of Israel. People would be encouraged to attend schools and universities, just like they are in Western nations with a large Jewish population.

Now, if the Arabs were to have it, it would be like the rest of the middle east. An incubator for the spread and growth of anti-American sentiment. It would have the same dictatorships that other arab nations display, the same intolerance for other religions (Even sects of the same religion), the same gigantic gap between the rich and the average man, the same state-controlled and censored media.

I'm not saying that all of the actions of the Israelis are correct, but I am saying that, bottom line, I think they have the moral high ground.

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2577499 - 04/19/04 01:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1079325337596

Somehow, I don't see the Jews using 11 year old brainwashed chidren as mules for their bombs that were designed to go off in a marketplace or a bus, killing innocent people.

Why is it that every known terrorist that the Jews kill has a "name" that the international community knows and weeps for, while the scores of people that the Palestinean's kill get silently swept under the rug.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2577522 - 04/19/04 01:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Why is it that every known terrorist that the Jews kill has a "name" that the international community knows and weeps for, while the scores of people that the Palestinean's kill get silently swept under the rug.

Nice try but as the death count in the current intifada stands at around 3 palestinians for every 1 Israeli killed you are obviously talking out your arse.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: U.S. to Israel on Rantisi Killing [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2577557 - 04/19/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

And the other side is supported with money and arms from the richest shieks on the earth.

So why are they armed with rocks and home made explosives whilst the Israelis are a nuclear power? Hmmmmm.

Quote:

If Israel was no longer being constantly assaulted by the Arab world

Well perhaps if they gave back the land they stole in 1967 (according to international law) stopped stealing even more land, stopped bulldosing the houses of innocents and kept to the conditions of the peace process then they may find that the assults would start to decrease.

Quote:

An incubator for the spread and growth of anti-American sentiment.

Americas one sided support of Israel is the true incubator for the spread and growth of anti-American sentiment. One only has to pay a modicum of attention to what peaceful learned arabs say to realise that.

Quote:

It would have the same dictatorships that other arab nations display, the same intolerance for other religions (Even sects of the same religion)

Surely it is up to the palestinians to sort out amongst themselves how they organise as a people? Who knows how they would pan out given the chance? You can bleat on about evil dictatorships all you want but how many of these "evil" dictatorships have sent thousands of troops to western countries and killed thousands of civillians? Now remind me, who hates who.

Quote:

(Even sects of the same religion), the same gigantic gap between the rich and the average man, the same state-controlled and censored media.

Sects of the same religion fighting eh? Dumb muslims..then again have you ever heard of Northern Ireland?
A gigantic gap between the rich and the average man..of course thats not a situation we face in the west is it?

Quote:

I'm not saying that all of the actions of the Israelis are correct, but I am saying that, bottom line, I think they have the moral high ground.

No. What you are saying is that the Israelis are more like you, and are easier for you to understand therefore they must be right. I think the Israelis should show a little gratitude to the people who made way for them so they could have their own country but all they seem to want to do is take more and more from them. And lets face it, they would never have got away with half of what they do without US backing.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion