Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Patlal]
    #25032334 - 03/01/18 09:49 PM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Everything is money in California.  The only thing that matters.  Silicon Valley buying everything and gentrification of San Fran.  Their is no fix.  Just enjoy the wildfires and massive droughts on the news year after year before this state sinks into the ocean and the earthquakes hit it.

Not a bright future for it.  Enjoy it while you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Barnaby] * 3
    #25032605 - 03/02/18 12:52 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

tl;dr thread: a lot of people who haven't lived in, or been to California throw sweeping generalizations about how terrible it is :lolsy:

It was so terrible living with this 20 minutes drive from my house :sad: Life in California was a wreck, too much weed, too much music, too many beautiful friendly people, too much natural beauty... I just couldn't handle it.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #25032608 - 03/02/18 12:53 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

homeless people are incompetent, what about their kids that have to suffer through it?

Edited by Konyap (03/02/18 12:54 AM)

InvisibleDustBunnyM
Male

Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Barnaby]
    #25032610 - 03/02/18 12:55 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

Calling Minnesota and Iowa drastic differences, though Minnesota has many more lakes and amount of forest IIRC. It's the mentality of much of the Midwest, generally "quiet" way of life, that is why the quality of life is so good. Cities/metro areas are easily more accurate. The constantly complaining, discontent with others and life (they have no control over), and young overentitled adults she scores down.

I don't know where the majority of people have a negative view on California :confused:

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Konyap] * 3
    #25032613 - 03/02/18 12:58 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

This list is just a political hit job. No way the worst states are New Jersey and California while Mississippi, Arkansas and North Dakota are in the top ten.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #25032618 - 03/02/18 01:02 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

California is pretty broken, but it's probably not broken in the ways you think.

The core problem is just the sheer number of people. That's what causes all the other problems, all down the line.

There are so many people that no one can afford a house, which drives up rent, which puts poor people on the street, and we have so many people that instead of just having a couple of bums here and there, we have populations of literally tens of thousands of homeless in every major city. And we have a bunch of major cities. How do you solve a homelessness problem that numbers potentially in the hundreds of thousands of people? There isn't even enough money to make a dent, even if we devoted the entire state budget to it. Everything is like that.

There are so many people that all of our systems are perpetually underfunded and broken simply due to sheer demand. Everything from education to roads to hospitals, there are simply too many people. We have so many drivers that even freeways with up to 10 lanes each way get clogged bumper to bumper during rush hour. How do you solve such a thing? Build more lanes? Then you'll have to bulldoze a ton of houses to do it, and you'll have to buy so much land at such a high price that even putting a fucking lane in on the freeway becomes unthinkably expensive.

And then you put rich high rollers into neighborhoods with multigenerational abject poverty and low and behold you have a problem with crime and inequality and all sorts of other shit.

My point is, any state with this kind of population would face similar problems.

Also there's a shitton of corruption and inefficiency throughout the state government, because big government. But even if there wasn't, all these other problems would still be around. If california went 100% conservative republican tomorrow, it wouldn't even make a dent in the issues we're facing.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: nooneman]
    #25032621 - 03/02/18 01:07 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

lol can you imagine what a shjthole California would be if conservative republicans ran it. It would be Kansas or Alabama times 100. The only thing keeping us from turning into a third world country is that the rich populated states are run by democrats.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: koods]
    #25032623 - 03/02/18 01:10 AM (6 years, 29 days ago)

https://www.warriorcode.us/products/find-a-cure-for-liberalism

What size do you wear? I'll get you one of these for your birthday (replying to OP)

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: koods]
    #25032674 - 03/02/18 02:44 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

I cant even imagine.

What would that even look like?

:strokebeard:

Offlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
    #25032684 - 03/02/18 02:56 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
California is pretty broken, but it's probably not broken in the ways you think.

The core problem is just the sheer number of people. That's what causes all the other problems, all down the line.

There are so many people that no one can afford a house, which drives up rent, which puts poor people on the street, and we have so many people that instead of just having a couple of bums here and there, we have populations of literally tens of thousands of homeless in every major city. And we have a bunch of major cities. How do you solve a homelessness problem that numbers potentially in the hundreds of thousands of people? There isn't even enough money to make a dent, even if we devoted the entire state budget to it. Everything is like that.

There are so many people that all of our systems are perpetually underfunded and broken simply due to sheer demand. Everything from education to roads to hospitals, there are simply too many people. We have so many drivers that even freeways with up to 10 lanes each way get clogged bumper to bumper during rush hour. How do you solve such a thing? Build more lanes? Then you'll have to bulldoze a ton of houses to do it, and you'll have to buy so much land at such a high price that even putting a fucking lane in on the freeway becomes unthinkably expensive.

And then you put rich high rollers into neighborhoods with multigenerational abject poverty and low and behold you have a problem with crime and inequality and all sorts of other shit.

My point is, any state with this kind of population would face similar problems.

Also there's a shitton of corruption and inefficiency throughout the state government, because big government. But even if there wasn't, all these other problems would still be around. If california went 100% conservative republican tomorrow, it wouldn't even make a dent in the issues we're facing.

That's a fair prognosis - I feel like a bit of 'chopping up' of the borders of Western States could be highly beneficial in reducing bureaucratic load, waste, and focus. 

Southern Oregon and Northern California would make a good union, (Jefferson)

Not sure what do with the rest of Cali though as I'm not as familiar with the southern portions.

It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a 'new state' as so much as subdividing into further semi-autonomous regions would allow for more appropriate appropriations :awesome:
The sheer diversity is what makes it so difficult on top of things.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.E.
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: twighead]
    #25033142 - 03/02/18 09:44 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Iowa and minni soda might have nice scenery but the winters are brutal. No thanks to driving on ice and snow, freezing all the time, having to bundle up like an eskimo when you go out.

Arizona, nevada, texas or florida are much better both in terms of climate and also cost of living. Fewer high paying jobs but rent, food, etc are all much cheaper. No sitting in traffic all day commuting, no freezing in winter plus you have the beach in fl and mountains in nv and az. Also much less pollution and lower taxes

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Stonehenge] * 1
    #25033216 - 03/02/18 10:10 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

have lived in California for 12 years now. only places i would ever consider would be Oregon or Washington. i find even the liberal leaning of California is too conservative for my tastes. 

the largest issues are traffic and crime and every large population has those. i moved out of the "city" to save overhead and have less neighbors, still less then 30 min drive to work and better quality of life (lots of imbred trumpers up here but can't win them all and besides im white so they assume i am one of them)

--------------------

Offlinekent101
Stranger
    #25033250 - 03/02/18 10:24 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

I was born and raised in Ventura County, Ca. When I was 18 I joined the U.S. Army and traveled a lot of the USA and to Europe. When I came back to Los Angeles, California from Kentucky it was as if I came from a shit hole to paradise. Quality of life over a good portion of America sucks from what I've seen, especially in red states. I'd rather live in a small room in Southern California than a large house in North Dakota or more of this nation. My quality of life here is good. People who don't say weather matters that much aren't saying that as they flee the hurricane or tornado.

Also, one of the only reasons for California being hated is because right wingers got scared during the last election when those 50+ electoral votes came in for Hillary Clinton. Why don't we constantly hear about how people think liberal Connecticut or Rhode Island suck? It's not because those states aren't as or more liberal than California, it's because California is used for propaganda purposes for partisan politics.

Edited by kent101 (03/02/18 10:28 AM)

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Stonehenge]
    #25033271 - 03/02/18 10:33 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

After visiting New York for the 2nd time and probably planning a 3rd trip in two months to live for a temporary transitional job (long story) my assessments are this of the 4 major metropolitan states

California - i dont know. Never been to La or San Fran for more then a few days. I must admit i have never been anywhere with higher price combinations though. Seems ridiculous. What all do you get out of that?

Texas - i spent quite some time in Texas over the last few years and it is hands down the best place to land a job if you have just finished an education. Most people who finished school there have no issue landing a high quality job right away. Texas has a very advanced highway system but LOL being such a big state who wants to drive that all the time anyway.

Historically to me Texas has a dark industrial history and the capital town there seems to be a living symbol of rebellion against the rest of the state. Austin is awesome filled with parks and happy people walking their dogs and tons of musicians but the affordability in the rest of Texas is not found there. Otherwise in Houston gasoline is so cheap its still like $1.80 a gallon or maybe not anymore but when I was there last definitely. Food is really cheap at the store. State has a huge past of racism and it has come a long long long ways since then. I still am careful to observe a very ancient mind state of farmers who never wanted anyone on their farms but family. Farms there are beautiful and so huge one farm is like an entire city. Lol still I would stick to the cities.

Florida - well what can I say I have lived here over half my life. Really spread out state. Super fucking tropical filled with beaches and palm trees and lots and lots of drugs. Lots of culture, tons of south Americans. Good place to retire. Kind of a bad place to start out. Always has been. You can find really cheap as fuck property here but it will be hours away from anything you consider useful. Otherwise expect the land to go up in considerate dollar value. Dammit though its beautiful i will probably be here the rest of my life. If you come here come with your entire family and all your friends i wouldnt just show up here by myself. Its a magnetic state. Which has benefits. And downsides.

New York - well damn. I just went the first time a month ago. Been twice now. So yeah its another state like Florida just magnetic its best to come with everyone you know. Lots of culture. I went by myself. I took a train upstate from grand central and passed mount vernon and new rochelle and larchmont and even visited new england in connecticut. Upstate is very rural. The city of New York its like you cant breath without someones lungs in your lungs. Nowhere to park in Manhattan. I wouldn't want to be in most of queens at night based on the ancient midevil housing projects i have seen. So expensive i mean god damn you get the price then you get the tax. So what kind of moron would waste his money coming here to the previous mafia capitol of the world and waste time on education and paying $2500 for a one bedroom less then 500 sf by central park?

Lol someone like me if I had the money. New York seems to have some kind of parent son relationship with Miami. While Miami is the much more tropical beautiful house filled version of that city its almost like New York said "we are putting you here Miami and making you internation as shit just like your dad Ny"

Many Miami people may disagree but clearly Miami is not southern like Atlanta its a much more Cuban influenced city but more of a northeast city in the south. Is New York full of shit like "no fucking way" all the time? Yeah so what are you paying for right?.....

Why live in a huge city that is just buildings on top of buildings? What do you pay for? Real estate. Not worth it. Food? Its great but so what? Parking? Fuck is there any on the island? Cars only drop off or pick up. This to me is what you pay for. You pay for a place where you could practically get fired 3 times and rehired 3 times in the same day. Its fast. Damn its fast.

Also all the rumors that people dont talk to you there? Bullshit. Everyone talks to you. You have to get in their face. You really have to get in their face. Hard. Once you do they dont shut up. Once you get someones attention there and start meeting people you find yourself in a cement world of enlightened people. There are fuck ups there of course but the locals hate those people. The locals want the tourists they spend money and enroll in schools and fill up the parks and streets and people there trade lives like text messages.

Its intense as fuck but a smart New Yorker knows what they want. The women there even live in some level where they walk around in groups and people get the fuck out of their way. Is feminism even an issue there? It doesn't seem like it. Once you start respecting people they start respecting you. Knowing people there is almost like joining a cult. "One of us one of us one of us"

So why not fucking join it? Once you gain the city as a friend everyone is like "good morning good night" all that shit. This is what you are paying for. A social experience. Now that many people in your face does give you kind of an adrenaline rush so obviously don't take my advice go see for yourself I am not saying its an easy undangerous place to be.

Just for the record though the whole "people won't talk to you thing" isn't real. Damn there are a lot of people there i mean a day there takes the intensity of a week in most places. So much will have happened in one day its exhausting. I talked to so many people though it was like meet a person go somewhere else meet a person go somewhere else meet a person go somewhere else. Your directness and integrity will be your best friend there.

Well, thats the best I have.

Now compare mine to yours stories and experience that is.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#25033280 - 03/02/18 10:35 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:

Lol you listed the cons but what are the pros?

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Staring at woodchips.
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: imachavel]
    #25033307 - 03/02/18 10:44 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

California is 100% a shithole. Please don't move here.

--------------------

"Rape ... Is a... can of apples" -Fiery

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Thundermuscle75]
    #25033330 - 03/02/18 10:51 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

So many people have already though. Lol what are they fucked?

--------------------

OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: Thundermuscle75]
    #25033385 - 03/02/18 11:16 AM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Thundermuscle75 said:

What part u live in?

OfflineGreat Scott
Trigger Lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: Control Grid
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25033709 - 03/02/18 01:40 PM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

twighead said:
That's a fair prognosis - I feel like a bit of 'chopping up' of the borders of Western States could be highly beneficial in reducing bureaucratic load, waste, and focus. 

Southern Oregon and Northern California would make a good union, (Jefferson)

Not sure what do with the rest of Cali though as I'm not as familiar with the southern portions.

It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a 'new state' as so much as subdividing into further semi-autonomous regions would allow for more appropriate appropriations :awesome:
The sheer diversity is what makes it so difficult on top of things.

But still keep the 50 stars? Imagine how many flags will have to junked and new ones made. Actually that could help stimulate the economy in some minor way I suppose.

People in the Northwest have been talking about Cascadia for years now. I think I would have to move farther inland if something like that ever happened (which it won't, thank God).

--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

OfflineThundermuscle75
Penis, usually hard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Staring at woodchips.
Re: California is dead last in quality of life in the US. [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #25033746 - 03/02/18 01:59 PM (6 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Thundermuscle75 said:

What part u live in?

SF Bay Area. It's not really all bad. But the things I don't like (sprawl, housing prices, traffic, crowding) are exacerbated by a growing population.

So might as well tell everybody it's a shithole!:grin:

Truth be told there are areas to the north that I would rather live in, but familial obligations have me stuck here for now. So I try to make the best of it.:shrug:

--------------------

"Rape ... Is a... can of apples" -Fiery

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom