Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not?
    #3995068 - 03/31/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Here's the story, last night someone gave me this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_deaths

Mitch Hedberg was listed there as having died last night of a drug overdose. He's been removed now, apparently because his death is unconfirmed.

If you look here, that is outlined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Hedberg

It claims here that he's died as well: http://www.comedycentral.com/standup/central/detail.jhtml?p=/comedians/h/mitch_hedberg.xml

and finally here: http://www.howardstern.com/

Now, I can't find ANYTHING else about this. So it seems pretty fishy. I wonder if someone edited the Wikipedia page as a lark, and it started this ball rolling? Or did the rumour originate before that?

Or, worst case, is he actually dead?

If anyone has any other links or info, post 'em here.

This really seems like it's not true, but maybe it is. I wanna know.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: Phluck]
    #3995071 - 03/31/05 01:45 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The really important question is:

Who the hell is Mitch Hedberg?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleBurke Dennings

#3995075 - 03/31/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

That'd be fucked up if he's dead.

Everyone's dying now.

--------------------
This will not go undocumented.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #3995103 - 03/31/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

He's a comedian, kind of like a grinny Stephen Wright... absolutely hilarious.

...and there's a chance he might be dead. But the whole thing is really weird.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #3995104 - 03/31/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I certainly hope it's not true, but it seems that way :frown:

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E
Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: Burke Dennings]
    #3995106 - 03/31/05 01:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

NO WAY!
That dude is/was a funny chilled out dude.

Anonymous

#3995109 - 03/31/05 01:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The guy that talks slows?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: mantis]
    #3995112 - 03/31/05 01:54 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I certainly hope it's not true, but it seems that way

Whoa, whoa. It most certainly does not seem that way.
It seems more like a hoax than an actual death. We've got no reporting from any real media sources, no sources of information, and the earliest mention of it comes from an online encyclopedia that ANYONE CAN EDIT ANONYMOUSLY.

So it is very likely a hoax... but it COULD be true, we don't have much information at all about this.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3995118 - 03/31/05 01:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Mitch Hedberg- "Because of [dropping] acid, I know now that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit."

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

#3995121 - 03/31/05 02:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm talking about the Comedy Central article. It's not like he's a huge name or anything. I can't see CNN reporting about him dying.

It could be a hoax, especially since Howard Stern is one of the only people to mention it-- if that's true then it's just fucking stupid.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
 User Gallery

#3995151 - 03/31/05 02:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Pioneer Press reports him dead, for whatever that's worth.

Offlinewarm_gun
day tripper

Loc: boston
Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: mantis] * 1
    #3995172 - 03/31/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"Rice is great if you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something."
hes the man

--------------------

!Benfica Para Sempre!

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: California]
    #3995182 - 03/31/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Here's the Pioneer Press article. Seems to have actual info in it. This is apparently the first legit report we've got.

Comedian Mitch Hedberg dead at 37

BY MATT PEIKEN

Pioneer Press

Even family and close friends had a hard time understanding Mitch Hedberg, a St. Paul native who ran away from home and, despite living a scattershot life, became a runaway success as a standup comic.

Hedberg, whose space-case persona was as much part of his soul as it was his act, died early Wednesday morning in a New Jersey hotel room. He was 37. A medical examiner hasn't issued findings, but Hedberg's family is told he suffered a heart attack. His wife was with him.

After graduating St. Paul's Harding High School, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co., and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special. He made several appearances on David Letterman's and Conan O'Brien's shows, made more Comedy Central appearances and produced two comedy CDs. His big dream, to have an HBO comedy special, was in the works.

Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacy staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner, and his success occurred in light of, in spite of and even because of his quarter-century affair with drugs and alcohol.

"I'd probably be living in Costa Rica, eating oranges on the beach, if I wasn't doing comedy," he told the Pioneer Press last September.

"There's no two ways about ? having a son in entertainment industry is challenging," his mother, Mary Hedberg, said Thursday.

She recalls being at work when her oldest daughter called in a panic to tell her Mitch had packed some brown paper bags and left home. Mary Hedberg couldn't get home in time to either see him off or talk him out of it.

"That was heartbreaking for us, but he kept in contact with us. He called as soon as the car broke down," she said. "You know, it was like putting him through college, even though he wasn't at college. But when he got his first break, we were just so thrilled for him, because we wanted him to know he was O.K., and to have that self-confidence that he could do what he wanted to do."

Louis Lee, owner of the Acme, said Hedberg not only became the Twin Cities' first breakout comedian of the 1990s but, along with Lewis Black, helped shape a national resurgence in standup comedy.

"It's very difficult for one-liner comedians to get an audience going, but when Mitch worked here, you could see the kids call out the punchline," Lee said. "Mitch made the whole comedy community realize how important good writing is. It's a huge loss."

Unlike many comics, Hedberg was demonstrably thankful to his fans. Not long ago, a group of college students in Florida, speaking with Hedberg backstage after a show, mentioned how hot their dorm room was. Hedberg surprised them the next morning by showing up to their dorm with a new air conditioner.

"Mitch presented a lot of challenges, but a lot of opportunities for traveling that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and he had a heart of gold," his mother said. "He was a brilliant comic and a wonderful person."

Dates haven't been set, but eventual visitation and services will be at Wulff Family Services, Woodlane Mortuary, in Woodbury.

Matt Peiken can be reached at 651-228-5440 or mpeiken@pioneerpress.com

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3995184 - 03/31/05 02:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Damn!  It's true!  :sad:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?ei=ISO-8859-1&c=&p=mitch+hedberg

Quote:

Posted on Thu, Mar. 31, 2005

ZIP code where you park at night. 

Do you currently have auto insurance?    Yes  No 

Have you had a U.S driver's license for more than 3 years?    Yes  No 

Has any driver in your household had 2 or more accidents or moving violations in the last 3 years?  Yes  No 

Mitch Hedberg, from the cover of his CD "Mitch All Together."

Comedian Mitch Hedberg dead at 37

BY MATT PEIKEN

Pioneer Press

Even family and close friends had a hard time understanding Mitch Hedberg, a St. Paul native who ran away from home and, despite living a scattershot life, became a runaway success as a standup comic.

Hedberg, whose space-case persona was as much part of his soul as it was his act, died early Wednesday morning in a New Jersey hotel room. He was 37. A medical examiner hasn't issued findings, but Hedberg's family is told he suffered a heart attack. His wife was with him.

After graduating St. Paul's Harding High School, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co., and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special. He made several appearances on David Letterman's and Conan O'Brien's shows, made more Comedy Central appearances and produced two comedy CDs. His big dream, to have an HBO comedy special, was in the works.

Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacy staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner, and his success occurred in light of, in spite of and even because of his quarter-century affair with drugs and alcohol.

"I'd probably be living in Costa Rica, eating oranges on the beach, if I wasn't doing comedy," he told the Pioneer Press last September.

"There's no two ways about ? having a son in entertainment industry is challenging," his mother, Mary Hedberg, said Thursday.

She recalls being at work when her oldest daughter called in a panic to tell her Mitch had packed some brown paper bags and left home. Mary Hedberg couldn't get home in time to either see him off or talk him out of it.

"That was heartbreaking for us, but he kept in contact with us. He called as soon as the car broke down," she said. "You know, it was like putting him through college, even though he wasn't at college. But when he got his first break, we were just so thrilled for him, because we wanted him to know he was O.K., and to have that self-confidence that he could do what he wanted to do."

Louis Lee, owner of the Acme, said Hedberg not only became the Twin Cities' first breakout comedian of the 1990s but, along with Lewis Black, helped shape a national resurgence in standup comedy.

"It's very difficult for one-liner comedians to get an audience going, but when Mitch worked here, you could see the kids call out the punchline," Lee said. "Mitch made the whole comedy community realize how important good writing is. It's a huge loss."

Unlike many comics, Hedberg was demonstrably thankful to his fans. Not long ago, a group of college students in Florida, speaking with Hedberg backstage after a show, mentioned how hot their dorm room was. Hedberg surprised them the next morning by showing up to their dorm with a new air conditioner.

"Mitch presented a lot of challenges, but a lot of opportunities for traveling that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and he had a heart of gold," his mother said. "He was a brilliant comic and a wonderful person."

Dates haven't been set, but eventual visitation and services will be at Wulff Family Services, Woodlane Mortuary, in Woodbury.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: California]
    #3995192 - 03/31/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

wow that sucks :frown:

did he even have another act other than the comedy central special? so much talent..

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3995197 - 03/31/05 02:26 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Oooops. Didn't see that you had posted that.

RIP Mitch

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: BLC - I Don't Wanna Go

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3995199 - 03/31/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well, there's still a slight possibility that Pioneer Press has been taken in, but considering that it's from his hometown, and they're likely able to contact his family quickly, they're a relatively reliable source. I'd like to see a few more reports, but this seems pretty sad, and it's starting to look like it's real.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#3995211 - 03/31/05 02:29 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

As for him not being a huge name, I'd say he's at least as widely known as Dimebag Darrel was, and that got tons of coverage.

If this is real, and it's looking like it is, I think we'll see coverage in major news sources tonight.

--------------------

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #3995218 - 03/31/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Yea Mitch was awesome, I just heard about this on Stern this morning on my way to work. Only the good die young.

"Bush search party of four, you can eat when you find the Dufraines"

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Re: Is Mitch Hedberg dead or not? [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #3995225 - 03/31/05 02:34 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

the Dufraines are in somebody's trunk right now, with duct-tape over their mouths. and they're hungry. :lol:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub