Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Drug abuse and Maturity.
    #2397985 - 03/03/04 12:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Is it possible to use drugs and mature emotionally?

Is it possible to be an addict and mature emotionally?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2397987 - 03/03/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.

Yes.

Why would this not be the case?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2398047 - 03/03/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think psychedelics, mushrooms especially, in every case influence how one matures. People argue whether they are really mind expanding or not, but my intuition and my personal experience tells me that this influence is beneficial.

But than again, there may always be people negatively influenced by drugs(speed freaks for example), and drug "use" and "abuse" should be clearly defined. Of course for heroin addicts the experience is really negative, but people tripping with the "right" mindset are a very positive example!

I read something by either Timothy Leary or Terrance Mckenna, and it said that going into the world of hallucinogens for the first time is for one's mind like losing one's virginity and becoming more mature.

I guess an interesting psychology study will be of the influence of psychedelics on teenagers, how significant is early use, etc. It will be interesting if one of the test groups will have lost its psychedelic mind virginity first and the other its sexual virginity first.

Edited by gotmagog (03/03/04 01:20 PM)

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: gotmagog]
    #2398057 - 03/03/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with you.

Is it bad for someone to starting smoking  :stash: everyday when they are twelve and continue to do so?

Is it bad for someone to start drinking  :beer: everday when they are fifteen and continue to do so?

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2398074 - 03/03/04 01:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think it has to do with the individual rather than the frequency of substance use.  Of course, some addicts are using it as an escape, but I also know plenty of people who don't use any drugs who will never mature emotionally. 

Also, for a lot of us "users," the drug experience forces us to confront the emotional issues we're hiding from.  Most of the bad trip reports I've read have centered around some deep psychological issue that the person has been trying to avoid & can't while they're tripping. 

Looking at it that way, who is seeking more of an escape?  The sober person who never explores the depths of their own mind or the tripper who faces their scariest issues head on? 

Not that I'm saying drug users are better than non-drug users, but I'm also tired of being looked at like a burnout because I choose to find out what's in my own head.  :bong: :mushroom2:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
    #2398105 - 03/03/04 01:32 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Drinking a lot and getting drunk by 13 is nothing, compared to the influence of the first mushroom trip to such a young person! I guess at such age trips are lifechanging much more, even if one does not realize it.

This reminds me, I have read on some German forums for drugs, there are a lot of 12 year old kids that easily get shrooms and trip, and than get into all sorts of trouble. They will make an interesting reasearch group.

BTW, many German universities are really making psychological research to reevaluate mushrooms.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2398220 - 03/03/04 02:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes.

Depends on which drug. I would say that nicotine addicts, in general, have no more emotional problems than people who don't smoke tobacco. However, heroin and ecstasy abusers (for example) tend to have much more emotional problems than non-abusers.

...IMHO

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2399376 - 03/03/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Is it possible to watch many hours of television every day and mature emotionally?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2400094 - 03/03/04 09:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Is it possible to watch many hours of television every day and mature emotionally?

Watching the TV would probably have a negative effect on your maturity. I take that back, watching tv most definitely has a negative effect on your maturity.

--------------------

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: Strumpling]
    #2400101 - 03/03/04 09:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Good point. If this logic holds true, then anything people do for comfort or pleasure SHOULD stunt emotional maturity.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2400798 - 03/04/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

In my drug stage, I definitely look back and have learned a lot from it, but as far as spiritual development, that didn't happen until i went completely sober which is where i am now, i felt like before when i was using i was blind and now my "eyes" are open. I think using anything too much, and most drugs at all is simply reversing the spiritual growth process..

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2402010 - 03/04/04 11:56 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

A drug is useful as long as it serves its purpose, that could happen when you are 30 or 50 or never happens at all. If it's a positive and good purpose, then i don't see why your pshyc teacher would come up with such an absolute negative view. Anyway, i would expect anything from a person such as a teacher (from the system).
In fact, some drugs help you realize extraordinary concepts only reachable after someone matures a bit.
Also, maturity is a social concept. Young spartans were only considered mature when they knew how to steal or trick other people.
Anyway, this concept of "escapism" is a very relative concept because you have to know if the problem you want to escape from is coming from you, or it's coming from the outside. The way of dealing with the problem is different with both and have to be considered differently. But relating this whole issue of escapism with drugs is a bad idea IMHO, even if you consider the existence of a relation between the two of them, this relation can not be considered necessarily negative. The only difference between a joint and a valium is that one is illegal but the idea drugs are given to patients as a therapy to treat psyhcological issues makes the whole notion given by your teacher very dubious.
I consider heavy abuse is bad because it puts you out of focus but drug use as a habit should be a free choice for anyone as an expression of their nature and the maturation of any individual.

Quote:

The fallacy of accident / Sweeping generalization / Dicto simpliciter
A sweeping generalization occurs when a general rule is applied to a particular situation, but the features of that particular situation mean the rule is inapplicable. It's the error made when you go from the general to the specific. For example:

"Potheads are not mature. You are a pothead, so you mustn't be a mature person."

This fallacy is often committed by people who try to decide moral and legal questions by mechanically applying general rules.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. *DELETED* [Re: MAIA]
    #2402036 - 03/04/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by SpecialEd

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinestara
addict

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: Jenny]
    #2402058 - 03/04/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with you.I had a time like one year of doin combos all the time and during this period I wasn't thinkin of maturity and so on:just hangin aroun and actin without thinkin critical and now even after one week of clean body I look at the past.Yes it's the secret gate.You stop and look at the past sometimes.You realize the change by doin that and maturity ,too.But I think we mature all the time ,we just realize it when we stop,how are you?  :smile:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2402316 - 03/04/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You should tell your psych teacher to shut the fuck up and stick to teaching psychology like he's paid to do. There is nothing wrong with being a Peter Pan as long as you:
A: support yourself and
B: avoid creating responsibilities for yourself, (specifically, producing a child).
Your psych teacher is a moralistic jackass.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2402349 - 03/04/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That having been said, I guarantee you that you will find no lasting joy in getting high or drunk every day. But if that's what you want to do it can be great fun will it lasts.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2402371 - 03/04/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know a lot of older people who never use drugs and they are immature as hell.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2402435 - 03/04/04 01:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm...I've been stoned almost every day for the last 5 years and I have to disagree with you.  Of course, I don't really get "high" anymore 'cause of my tolerance, so maybe that's the difference.

It depends on the person and why you're doing the drug.  I don't smoke to get fucked up & giggly, I smoke 'cause I'm one of those few people who does things better with some THC in 'em.  I drive better, play sports better, and even do a better job at work when I'm stoned.  I'm an accountant, so I sit in a room making spreadsheets with shitloads of numbers on 'em all day, which is supposed to be really hard when you're stoned. 

I wish I could explain it better, but it's like my brain makes more connections between things after smoking.  I come back from my lunchtime smoke break and I can instantly spot where the numbers are off and how to fix it.  The best way to describe it is I feel like my mind loses it's peripheral vision when I'm sober...like there's something missing that I normally have when stoned.

Dammit, now I want to go to lunch & it's only 10:30!  :bong: :spliff: :stoned:

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Drug abuse and Maturity. [Re: Renegade8]
    #2402524 - 03/04/04 02:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I used to do stuff better stoned. Bowling and chess come to mind. Attending to mindless tasks was also more enjoyable high and I got my degree being stoned all day, every day. But that was 25 years ago and I was 7 or 8 years into it by then. Trust me when I say that for most people it costs more than it returns

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2402558 - 03/04/04 02:13 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well I feel really mature for my age. I have moved alot, expreienced alot, gone trhough lotsof ups and lots of downs and think alot, but I think smoking weed has a bit to do with my maturing to and especiall mushrooms. I think substances like cocain, amphetamine and drinking often and things like that can fuck up your maturing.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology