Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read)
    #3038813 - 08/23/04 10:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This issue has been on my chest for quite some time and Im not really sure what are the appropriate steps to take. Im a strong believer in not "punishing" yourself if you REALLY believe you can overcome the problem.

Example: person A (regular person) kicks person B in the balls who happens to be mentally handicapped.

Person A then realizes it was the wrong thing to but still has the left over gratification from having kicked person B in the balls.

Should person A continue to live off of this "high" at the same time realizing it was the wrong thing to do knowing he wouldnt do it again?.

Im trying to relate this to my egoistic problems. Sometimes I come to the realization Ive gone overboard but the residue emotion of my "glorious" ego uplifting continues to reside and make me feel happy, should I continue to accept this feeling?.

What do you think?. :confused:

Edited by bandaid (08/23/04 10:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
Re: Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read) [Re: bandaid]
    #3038821 - 08/23/04 10:10 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There's no such thing as a wrong emotion. I think its how you apply your emotions that determines whether they're 'right' or 'wrong'. It depends whether you think enjoying the buzz off kicking another's balls is helping you grow as a person :P

Personally, I think the more you enjoy it the more you'll want to do it but then suppressing emotions is a tricky business with loads of complications.

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
    #3038847 - 08/23/04 10:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Most emotions are instinctive. If you're the kind of person that derives pleasure from kicking spastics in the balls then I say go for it.

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read) [Re: Lazerouth]
    #3038849 - 08/23/04 10:22 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the example I gave was very extreme but it was designed to get the point across, its a seriouse post, reframe from joking thanks :grin:

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3039048 - 08/23/04 12:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

If I come to realise that I may have stepped overboard, I certainly don't relish in it. I feel disappointed with myself that I got so caught up in something that I neglected to show respect and consideration for another persons feelings. I move to forgive myself right away and make a mental note to be more mindful in the future on this.

I don't care who knows what, or who has what degrees or experience in this and that here. The people I hold in the highest of regard and esteem are the ones who consistantly show respect and consideration for the feelings of others. They are the only ones who impress me at the end of the day, and of course, those I see working on it through humble moments exposed.

Your title is accurate as people do feed off of the pain and fear of others. They are considered to be phychological vampires. It's not pretty and I certainly never like to catch myself acting like one. I'm actually mortified by it.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read) [Re: Zoso_UK]
    #3039185 - 08/23/04 12:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Zoso, so you really think that I can just copy/paste my new ideas over this "stolen" high and there wouldnt be any after effects?.

OfflineMad_Buhdda_Abuser
    #3039228 - 08/23/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sure emotions are instincts, but because the human mind has the ability to go against instinct (suicide) you should look at what you are about to do and put yourself the in the other persons shoes. Then once you have done this, act accordingly.

"do unto others as you would like them to do unto you"

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read) [Re: Mad_Buhdda_Abuser]
    #3039283 - 08/23/04 01:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

well obviously :tongue:, what Im getting at is AFTER  you've kicked'em in the balls

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3039287 - 08/23/04 01:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

emotions cant be wrong society unless they go against that cultures ethical or moral beliefs.

but in your scenario, there is some complications, for example does the person "a" see it as wrong because he views it as wrong, or does he thikn its wrong because the society he lives in views it as the wrong thing to do?

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: Living off of "wrong" emotions (plz read) [Re: guri]
    #3039325 - 08/23/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, maybe I should have been more clear, its not that the emotion itself is wrong but rather is it USEFUL to use once you came to the realization that you did the wrong thing, thats why I put the " "

Sry if I confused you guys, does that make more sense?

Edited by bandaid (08/23/04 01:46 PM)

OfflineZoso_UK
Zepoholic

Loc: Neverland
    #3039457 - 08/23/04 02:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

There are after-effects to everything. My post was a little lame. I pretty much agree with gettinjiggywithit, very good post.

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
    #3040286 - 08/23/04 06:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

bandaid- This is what I think but it may not go for you:

If you think something is wrong (whether you do it or not), then it is. So if you catch yourself doing something that you don't think is good/right/whatever (i.e. feelin good about injuring a retard), then I would go about correcting yourself and making a note not to do it again (just like jiggy said). Don't think of it as punishing yourself, but rather bettering yourself and the way you interact with others. I'll also just say that if you do things that you don't consider right, its not good.

Now if you were to truly consider it okay to do something like that, then it is a different story. If you REALLY believe that it is okay (like you were saying), then in actuality it truly is. Thought is reality. Emotions can be quite weird and awkward sometimes- I like to keep them under control for the most part, b/c you want to be able to do so in certain situations (social interaction)- but it is definitely good to let them all out once in a while. Just a few thoughts of mine. Peace.

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology