Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23027267 -

Many degrees still retain a large amount of value... anything engineering, computer science, law, medical - all have very well paying careers that require those degrees basically. There's also a lot of fluff - but I don't think many students are that disillusioned that their liberal arts degree isn't going to do much. On the other hand, I don't really work in the field of Audio Engineering at all, yet when I talk to people at jobs I've applied for, they indicate fairly frequently that having graduated was basically what pushed me up high enough on their list to even interview in the first place, in lieu of 20 years of experience.


--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: twighead]
    #23028616 -

Ha, yea, a degree doesn't really matter- until it's the minimum requirement for the position you're applying for, and they don't even look at your resume without it. Kinda fucking blows to be experienced in a field that you have no degree in, hitting the ceiling hurts.

Zappa, I'm still honestly curious about how you define success...?

Instead of minimum wage jobs, how about we say low wage jobs. It's great to get paid $12 instead of $8, but really, its hardly makes a difference. Getting a raise is great, but 10 cents every year gets you nowhere. My last gig was basically like that. I think everyone was paid over minimum; but when my year came up and I asked about a raise, I got told it was impossible- "oh once business gets better, I want everyone to get a raise." Empty promises. I got the impression from other employees that that was the go to line. And I had worked my ass off, I basically gave up my life for this company. So yea, I left.

In my experience, there are a whole lot of dead ends; where working harder doesn't lead to success- It was just working harder. 

Labor is whatever, digging is a good workout. But it's the same story. Guys are going to pay you as little as they can, except for the one time they didn't read the contract and had to pay us full prevailing wage :lol: Maybe eventually you learn the trade and stand out and they make you foreman, or maybe the company doesn't get the bid and they cut you and you start back at square one.

I prefer to find success in personal pursuits, and that success is usually in the form of happiness.

Every uber driver I've ridden with has seemed to really enjoy showing people around their town.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23028635 -

zappaisgod said:
Jokeshopbeard said:
zappaisgod said:
If you want to make anything of your life you need to put in much more hours.



Are you serious? I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.



Not at all.  Everybody I know who has achieved anything has put in more than 40 hours a week.



I feel this is a pretty closed minded opinion. You're judging the achievements of others by your own standards are you not? Seems to me to simply be a perpetuation of the cultural expectation that we should all be wage slaves and that our 'achievements' are only valid if they conform to what is expected of us, and what is programmed into us.

Each individual has every right to decide what they feel is their goal and and strive towards it. Judging them as not having achieved because their goal is/was not the same as yours is the kind of attitude the perpetuates the materialistic tendencies that cause so much harm to this world.

Can anybody really argue that happiness and self-actualisation are not the ideal goals for a human? Money ain't gonna buy happiness if your life is dedicated to making money. Most of the high earners I know that have sacrificed huge portions of their lives to making money don't seem very happy or content from what I can see.


--------------------
Let it be seen that you are nothing. And in knowing that you are nothing... there is nothing to lose, there is nothing to gain. What can happen to you? Something can happen to the body, but it will either heal or it won't. What's the big deal? Let life knock you to bits. Let life take you apart. Let life destroy you. It will only destroy what you are not.
--Jac O'keeffe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #23028854 -

Jokeshopbeard said:
zappaisgod said:
Jokeshopbeard said:
zappaisgod said:
If you want to make anything of your life you need to put in much more hours.



Are you serious? I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.



Not at all.  Everybody I know who has achieved anything has put in more than 40 hours a week.



I feel this is a pretty closed minded opinion. You're judging the achievements of others by your own standards are you not? Seems to me to simply be a perpetuation of the cultural expectation that we should all be wage slaves and that our 'achievements' are only valid if they conform to what is expected of us, and what is programmed into us.

Each individual has every right to decide what they feel is their goal and and strive towards it. Judging them as not having achieved because their goal is/was not the same as yours is the kind of attitude the perpetuates the materialistic tendencies that cause so much harm to this world.

Can anybody really argue that happiness and self-actualisation are not the ideal goals for a human? Money ain't gonna buy happiness if your life is dedicated to making money. Most of the high earners I know that have sacrificed huge portions of their lives to making money don't seem very happy or content from what I can see.



What a load get a job ya bum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: Repertoire89]
    #23029719 -

Repertoire89 said:
Don't think its necessary for most people to work that much, there's a reason I've given up so much personal time and it hasn't been easy.



true, i don't think its necessary or ideal for most people. But if you want to do something out of the ordinary, like run a business or excel in any field really, I think extra hours and extra drive is needed. Most people don't excel or even ever aim to excel in a given field, which is perfectly fine too, somebo


--------------------


Ezuma Art:

http://ezumaart.weebly.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: Lynnch]
    #23030316 -

Lynnch said:
Ha, yea, a degree doesn't really matter- until it's the minimum requirement for the position you're applying for, and they don't even look at your resume without it. Kinda fucking blows to be experienced in a field that you have no degree in, hitting the ceiling hurts.

Zappa, I'm still honestly curious about how you define success...?



Not having to worry about how your or your loved ones bills are going to get paid.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: Jokeshopbeard]
    #23030321 -

Jokeshopbeard said:
zappaisgod said:
Jokeshopbeard said:
zappaisgod said:
If you want to make anything of your life you need to put in much more hours.



Are you serious? I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not.



Not at all.  Everybody I know who has achieved anything has put in more than 40 hours a week.



I feel this is a pretty closed minded opinion. You're judging the achievements of others by your own standards are you not? Seems to me to simply be a perpetuation of the cultural expectation that we should all be wage slaves and that our 'achievements' are only valid if they conform to what is expected of us, and what is programmed into us.

Each individual has every right to decide what they feel is their goal and and strive towards it. Judging them as not having achieved because their goal is/was not the same as yours is the kind of attitude the perpetuates the materialistic tendencies that cause so much harm to this world.

Can anybody really argue that happiness and self-actualisation are not the ideal goals for a human? Money ain't gonna buy happiness if your life is dedicated to making money. Most of the high earners I know that have sacrificed huge portions of their lives to making money don't seem very happy or content from what I can see.



If I own the company am I a wage slave?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23032549 -

Ezuma said:
Repertoire89 said:
Don't think its necessary for most people to work that much, there's a reason I've given up so much personal time and it hasn't been easy.



true, i don't think its necessary or ideal for most people. But if you want to do something out of the ordinary, like run a business or excel in any field really, I think extra hours and extra drive is needed. Most people don't excel or even ever aim to excel in a given field, which is perfectly fine too, somebo



Exactly

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: Repertoire89]
    #23032957 -

People do what they do to survive and some people simply go for the easiest life they can i.e. shitty jobs and acting like sheep

What are you doing with your life, that makes you think you can look down on others, OP? :cookiemonster:
People will probably laugh at you for spending your whole life on an internet forum :ahahaha:


--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: daz01]
    #23033411 -

I can look down on whoever I want, though I never said I looked down on them, just that every one I know is a disgusting bum and I'm sure alot of them are.

A job doesn't give life meaning, but what kind of job someone has typically dictates their personality. People who take the easy way out, working short hours doing easy work and never wanting to better themselves, seem to be drawn to uber. They want to sit in their car, drive around mindlessly, and claim to be their own boss. These types of people are the lazy kind of bums that I was asking you guys if you've noticed.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: JvF]
    #23033622 -



--------------------
Utwiddle.net

In order to act like a king, one need only treat everyone else like one.

BUMP THIS THREAD EVERYTIME YOU SEE IT

Join the Anarchy Camp!  Down with Oppression!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: JvF]
    #23033629 -

jfischer218 said:
A job doesn't give life meaning, but what kind of job someone has typically dictates their personality.



I definitely agree with this.

I've still yet to try Uber, though. Is it a gamble?


--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: When you hear someone is a full-time Uber driver... [Re: JvF]
    #23033651 -

No, uber is nice. I've had nothing but good experiences


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* My neighborhood is full of idiots.
( 1 2 all )
Konnrade 2,667 22 10/07/11 01:27 AM
by SleepyF0x
* Female drivers... : - \
( 1 2 3 4 all )
mikeyboy 5,142 64 12/22/05 08:27 PM
by Liquidkick
* What annoys you the most about other drivers?
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 4,478 33 10/06/04 10:17 PM
by MushBus
* Not everyone who get hit by a drunk driver dies:
( 1 2 3 all )
dr0mni 5,159 58 01/11/06 11:40 AM
by Silversoul
* uber nerd
( 1 2 all )
Phychotron 2,483 33 06/15/06 03:00 PM
by Dobie
* Few funny Videos (bus driver beats up student, black lady put in her place...ect. (LMAO)
( 1 2 all )
Toddo 5,266 26 07/01/05 08:19 PM
by afoaf
* Drunk drivering
( 1 2 3 all )
TheShroomHermit 5,419 46 10/08/05 08:52 PM
by downforpot
* How good of a driver are you?
( 1 2 all )
adamj 3,591 24 02/27/06 10:43 PM
by Demonichildren

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,900 topic views. 6 members, 13 guests and 121 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.