Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Essential Solutions 101
    #2299400 - 02/04/04 12:59 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I will provide what I think are 3 essential solutions to the cultivation practice.

1) Hydrogen peroxide:

I use a 1.5 % solution of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to prevent the germination of contaminant spores. I spray casings after spawning, anytime I open them to inspect, before and after applying a casing layer, and after picking each flush. H202 oxidizes (damages) any organic tissue. Many organisms produce enzymes that help break down H2O2 into water and oxygen, bubbles are an indication of this activity.These enzymes are known as peroxidases. Spores, because they are dormant and not in a metabolic state, do not produce these enzymes. This means that H2O2 will damage their tissue and prevent them from germinating. H202 should be used as a preventative and maintainance solution. Preventative in the respect that it wil prevent germination of spores, maintainance in that regular and proper use will help to maintain a healthy growth environment.

Be careful and understand that some tissue damage will occur with this solution. Do not apply to primordia or developing pins, as a high rate of aborts will likely be noticed.

2) Alcohol:

I use a 35% solution of isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) as a topical antimicrobial. I regularly clean my fruiting chambers with this solution to kill spores and bacteria. I spray the surface to be cleaned with a liberal spraying of the solution, I then wait at least five minutes and dry with a clean towel.

I also use this solution as a microbial aerosol. I prefer to use this solution over Lysol and other common microbials. Alcohol will not leave a perfume residue on surfaces. Alcohol readily evaporates. Alcohol has far fewer carcinogens present in its makeup. I spray the immediate area I am to work with including the air in order to reduce the ammount of any contaminants present. The droplets of solution will bind many airborn particles and render them (in most cases) sterile.

When I use a foil print or another well sealed print. I will spray the outside of the print surface and let sit for at least 5 minutes for best results. This will disinfect the outside surface of the print and help to insure success with any spore transfers.

Be cautious with this solution. A solvent grade air filter should be worn in the case of repeated exposure. Avoid inhaling the mist or fumes from this solution

3) Bleach

I use a 5% solution of houshold bleach (.3% actual sodium hypochlorite) as a surface disinfectant. I spray the surface, wait 5 minutes and wipe clean. in my fruiting containers I usualy use a bleach solution as a primary disinfectant, wipe clean, and then use alcohol as my secondary disinfectant.

Again, do not inhale any vapors from this spray...it hurts!

For the above dilutions.

1) H2O2 Household 3%

Mix 1:1

2) Alcohol Household (Isopropyl) 70%

Mix 1:1

3) Bleach Houshold 6%

Mix 1:20

I wish you the best of luck with the right of knowledge.

Joshua

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: Joshua]
    #2299411 - 02/04/04 01:08 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Joshua said:
2) Alcohol:

I use a 35% solution of methyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, MeOH) as a topical antimicrobial. I

ACK! Nooo! Rubbing alcohol is ISOPROPYL aclohol not methanol. Isopropyl alcohol is relatively non-toxic, but methyl alcohol can cause nervous system damage and blindness if enough vapor is taken in, or if enough gets absorbed through your skin. NEVER USE METHANOL FOR DISINFECTION!

Ya might want to edit your post there, less some poor unfortunate soul goes blind breathing in methanol fumes.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2299417 - 02/04/04 01:12 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Good post Joshua,

I do feel that a copy of this should be in the general section though, and perhaps in the contamination forum aswell.

I also think it would be great if people could suggest additional information that would be good and then finally put it in the faq.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #2299572 - 02/04/04 03:15 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Ack is right! My brain just derailed a bit there. I had the bottle sitting in front of me and I hate to say what a portion of my schooling is in.

Thanks for setting me straight there.

Makes me wonder if blind people have visuals while tripping.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: utopianglory]
    #2299578 - 02/04/04 03:20 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I plan on adding more and more 101 lessons and then compiling them all into a volume.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Joshua]
    #2299587 - 02/04/04 03:28 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: OldSpice]
    #2299611 - 02/04/04 03:50 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

great post - something for the FAQ's  :thumbup:

--------------------
-> Errors Are A Great Source Of Knowledge <-
-> It Is Not Important WHO Is Right But WHAT Is Right <-

Offlinepietruk
Loc: Midwest
Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: ragadinks]
    #2299955 - 02/04/04 08:45 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Good Post. Looking forward to watching it develop.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #2300688 - 02/04/04 12:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

what i've been saying all along .
but, i use 25% isopropyl and distilled water to spray the air, and 15% bleach for wiping surfaces .

Edited by deanofmean (02/06/04 09:05 AM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: deanofmean]
    #2301051 - 02/04/04 01:55 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I did some looking around to see how appropriate the dilutions I have been using are.

According to most info available at least a 70% solution of isopropyl alcohol should be used to maximize it's use as a disinfectant. I dilute it further to reduce flamibility. I have used 100% water to spray the air when I didn't have any alcohol available.

Alcohol refs:

http://www.people.memphis.edu/~ehas/disinfectant.pdf

http://www.oshc.org.hk/b5/documents/Disinfectants%20leaflet%20(eng).pdf

I use a 1:20 (.3%) bleach dilution because that is what the bleach bottle suggested for disinfection purposes. The highest dilution I have seen referenced for bleach is 1:10 (5-6%). I think 25% is much higher than is needed for cultivation purposes.

Bleach ref:

http://ehs.ucdavis.edu/ftpd/sftynet/sn_68.pdf

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2302225 - 02/04/04 06:52 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My isopropyl is sold at about 60%.

15% does sound a little low.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: utopianglory]
    #2302298 - 02/04/04 07:10 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

All references I have seen call for 70% and up. I think I may need to change things.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2312983 - 02/07/04 09:22 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah that is a great post Josuha!
One you may consider adding (and one that my friend has experimented with, no real results to post yet, when i say no real results i mean there has not been enough scientific observation to conclude that this played a major role) is a saline solution (for contact lenses) or a simple salt water solution.

She had a casing that had a BAD case of the cobweb and fought it off with light, air circulation, and saline solution. The casing produced a nice pinset and goodlooking fruits, 4 flushes so not the best but she hasn't complained to me.

Ki

NOTE: When creeping cobweb popped it's head at any time during the fruiting stages, the mild salt water solution was used (which I can best calculate at being 5% NaCl). On this particular casing, my friend noticed a very low number of aborts and she noticed no real mycelial damage. On one that she sprayed with H2O2, primordia that were forming (as Joshua said) aborted. So, that's that, don't know if that played a major role (cause my friend had such an eye on that cobweb), but if it helped, it helped. Christ's sake.

Another Note. My friend said primordia were misted with salt water and not saline solution because she didn't know wtf those other chems were, but she figured salt can't be horrible.

KI

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Edited by keyeghost (02/08/04 01:36 AM)

Offlinezoomerman
zoomer
Loc: Arizona
    #2314988 - 02/08/04 04:25 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I use 99% isopropyl alcohol for sterilization purposes. You have to be careful not to get too close to an open flame with it though, it is extremely flammable.

--------------------
As long as there is dope to fill it, there is no reason to stop hitting the bong... ever.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: zoomerman]
    #2315074 - 02/08/04 05:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

with 99% you have to make sure the surface is in contact long enough before it evaporates. That is why 70% is actually the best to use.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

#2315085 - 02/08/04 05:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

ohh and I noticed you keep your Hydrogen Peroxide in a clear spray bottle?!?

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2315633 - 02/08/04 08:18 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Why not? I doubt he keeps it on a widowsill.

Peace - @cro

--------------------

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: @cro]
    #2315951 - 02/08/04 09:33 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

does it only decompose in uv?

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2316050 - 02/08/04 09:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

This place says

The primary factors contributing to H2O2 decomposition include: increasing temperature (2.2 factor increase for each 10 deg-C); increasing pH (especially at pH > 6-8); increasing contamination (especially transition metals such as copper, manganese or iron); and to a lesser degree, exposure to ultraviolet light. In most cases, pH and contamination work in tandem as the dominant factors.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: Essential Solutions 101 [Re: MrMaddHatter]
    #2316073 - 02/08/04 10:01 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

that' s funny cuz I was just looking at that exact same website

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck