Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePugslee_Atoms420
Street Pigs areour friends
Extra light malt extract myc solution questions
    #1419229 - 03/31/03 03:13 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've been trying to do this for a bit now, and I have followed this tek to the letter:
Liquid Growth Medium

as well as just mixing in a bit of the malt with water in the jars and mixing, then p/c. Every time I get a murky light brown solution with sediment floating around in it.
Am I not boiling it long enough?
Adding the malt extract too fast?
I am using the 4% malt to water by weight ratio given in the above tek, kinda seems like a lot to me. The way I measured it, a wide mouth half pint jar filled nearly to the top weighed in at around 150 grams, so I put in 6 grams for each jar I wanted. Anyways I thought it seemed way too dark brown, almost like you'd watered down some apple cider (or if anyone knows it, the hot drink broken leg).. and needless to say a bunch of sediment.
Does anyone have any tips that might help me with this?
much appeciation for any help

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: Extra light malt extract myc solution questions [Re: Pugslee_Atoms420]
    #1419367 - 03/31/03 06:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Some sediment with malt extract is normal but it can be clarified by boiling the solution and letting it settle to the bottom and then pouring the clear liquid into jars. A clear liquid is important because if it later becomes hazy or the sediment increases you know you have a contam and this TEK is extremely prone to contams. Also, you are adding too much liquid to the jar. A high surface area to liquid ratio is important for maximum amounts of growth. A jar 1/2 full will out yield a full jar and a jar 1/4 full will yield even more. Try it and see. PC the jars for 15 min and let them cool slowly in the PC to avoid evaporation which could make the medium too concentrated. Inoculate when cool. Proper growth looks like bits of cotton floating in an otherwise clear medium with little or no sediment.

OfflinePugslee_Atoms420
Street Pigs areour friends
Re: Extra light malt extract myc solution questions [Re: woodrow]
    #1420678 - 04/01/03 12:42 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info, I figured I was filling the jars too much. Still, I am worried because @ 4% the solution is far from clear. Maybe the straining of sediment will help, I will definitely be doing that from now on. In any case I figure it will work even if it is darker colored, as long as it is somewhat transparent. On the thought of contam's, I was not previously aware that this tek is very prone to contams. I will be using agar wedges to spawn some of them, in a good glovebox. Could I add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the solution to guard against contamination? Thanks again

p.s.

is the surface area to liquid thing simply because you can more vigorously shake a half-filled jar? I'm lost when it comes to understanding why this might otherwise matter in growth rates.......

Peace in the Middle East, after we MOAB Saddam and his seed

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology