Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineplatasol
Stranger
Humboldt vs Portland Basic Qs
    #2274767 - 01/26/04 03:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What a great hobby. I’ve just recently taken a trip (no pun) to Portland, Lincoln City OR and noticed all the different kinds of mushrooms growing there in the dead of winter (1/10/04). Naturally I kept my eyes open for the fimilure shapes of some of the psilocyben shrooms I’ve seen. I soon noticed the amazing array of mushrooms growing there. It was then I decided to read a bit more. Shroomery.org has been the best resources for me to date!
I was wondering, is there any full-proof rule to tell between Galerina and Psilocybe cyanescens? They look too much alike for me to ever risk eating. And are Psilocybe cyanescens referred to as Blues or am I not “down wit the scene” enough? During the same trip to Portland I visited Arcata (Humboldt). I spoke to a few “knowledgeable” people there who rambled off a few nicknames for the many psilocyben mushrooms they have. Do you know any nick names and their species for this area? Are psilocyben mushrooms in this area most happy growing on moss, pine, beach sand or what? I mention beach sand because I was told they are common near the beach. Thanks for all the help! You guys are doing a great job here!

-platasol

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineplatasol
Stranger
Re: Humboldt vs Portland Basic Qs [Re: platasol]
    #2274794 - 01/26/04 03:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

"if you have indeed positivly identified these as cyans, i believe you may have the first documented case of cyans in the portland area..i have searched on and off for these in pdx over the last few years to no avail..last year i exausted an extensive websearch regarding the wavy-cap in the portland area to no avail" <--just read this. Also, Psilocybe cyanescens is not the kind i get confuzed with Galerina. It's another that looks very very similure.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2274839 - 01/26/04 03:56 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The easiest way to distinguish Psilocybes and Galerinas is by spore print color. Galerinas have spore print colors near rusty brown. Psilocybes tend to have colors near dark purplish brown. When making a spore print for identification purposes, make sure you do it on white paper.

"They look too much alike for me to ever risk eating." That's a good thing to hear. Be certain before you eat.

The best rule for those who intend to eat wild mushrooms they've found (for any reason) is, "if in doubt, throw it out."

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2275493 - 01/26/04 07:55 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Platasol,

If you had read the Ultimate Field Guide by John W. Allen in the FAQs you ould have seen te Galerina look-a-likes to P. cyanescens and P. stuntzii which they do macroscropically resempble from the cap.

And yes P. cyanescens has been collected in Oregon since the late 1950s all the way south to Roseburg and down to Eureka/Arcata. They area also common in the San Francisco Bay area.

The two can be differentiated by the white stem on P. cyanescens which turns extremely blue form human handling and the galerina sten is orange to a cinnamon color with a white to orange ring onthe stem near the cap portion.

The spore prints are also diffenet colors ans noted above.

mj

Offlinewookie
life enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: the north state (Californ...
    #2278252 - 01/27/04 06:25 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

all the look alikes I have seen here have a really weak stem compared to the tough cyan stems.

--------------------
-=* dUMb \/\/00kIe *=-

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Loc: Portland, OR
    #2279339 - 01/28/04 12:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Stem color is the first thing I look at. If the stem isn't white, I don't touch it.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification