Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
woodchip hunting - deadly galerina?
    #6222965 -

still looking for ps cyanescens in UK.
Found these two species in a deciduous woodchip bed - I think the two on the left are stropharia aurantiaca and the 3 on the right deadly galerina.. does this suggest I'm looking in the right habitat? I've heard these species often grow with wood-loving psilocybes?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: todosmentira]
    #6223076 -

Im here in the Pacific Northwest in the US, I dont know how much different the climate is here, but I would soppose your looking in the right area, but I have found over 12 wood chips places, I have found deadly lookalikes, never any cyans. It seems I have more luck finding cyanescens on forest edges than on woodchips ( I never have ).

But yeah those arent cyans, I thought they were when looking at the tabbed picture, but then I made it bigger and realized they were not.

Look at my pictures and see where I find my cyans..

Edited by hEAtOniKgun (10/29/06 08:20 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: hEAtOniKgun]
    #6223080 -

my question is wheres the blue greening that one clearly bruises redish an cyans dont


--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: thedudenj]
    #6223218 -

I know they aren't cyans thedude, I just wanted to hear from people with experience picking cyans whether they find these two species growing alongside...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: todosmentira]
    #6223237 -

yup, sounds like you're looking in the right places to me... I've seen both those species out hunting cyans over here. good luck!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: todosmentira]
    #6223288 -

yes right habitat.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6225859 -

The ones on the left look sorta like Stropharia aurantiaca, the others are NOT galerina


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #6227216 -

what do you think they are then?
I was going by the rusty brown spore deposits on the fragile ring + hygrophanous cap and the habitat.. The caps were bent down by my scanner - but originally were plane - convex in younger specimens.

Don't have much experience with woodchip habitats - only used to picking libs...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: todosmentira]
    #6227288 -

you know you don't have to put the lid down on most scanners for them to scan. you only need top place something relatively opaque over the bed [i tend to use towels]. this helps to eliminate crushing.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: canid]
    #6227379 -

I agree those are not Galerinas. Rusty brown spores are consistent with Cortinarius, so maybe that is what they are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: todosmentira]
    #6229512 -

first 2 look like russula. 3 and 4 look to have a veil.


--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: mycoguy]
    #6230170 -

you guys really don't think those are Galerinas eh?

Galerina autumnalis/marginata is a species complex. hence, there is much phenotypic variation among collections from different areas. similar to the situation with Armillaria mellea.

according to Michael Kuo, recent DNA research has shown that many of the species in galerina are actually genetically identical despite morphological differences and in fact are one species, or better yet, a species complex. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/galerina_marginata.html

that being said, I still think they are Galerinas. the only other thing they really might look like that comes to my mind is Hypholoma dispersum or something similar, but that wouldn't have rusty brown spore deposit on the annulus, or even an annulus in the first place IME. I have seen pictures shroomydan has posted of G. autumnalis (I assume from Ohio) and they really didn't look much like what we find growing in woodchips with cyans here in Washington. there are also forms of Galerina I've seen hunting edibles in the cascades that look quite different from what I've seen in the lowlands here. there's a chance they could be a species of Tubaria I guess, but they more resemble Galerina to me.

the ones on the left are definitely H. aurantiaca though. russulas generally have light colored gills and don't bruise red.

Edited by spores (10/31/06 09:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: spores]
    #6230174 -

It's the light colored stems that make them look very un-galerina-ish.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: xmush]
    #6230177 -

there's a pic in PMOTW identified as G. autumnalis where the stem is really white as well :shrug:

also a few of the pics in the site I pasted above show white stems

Edited by spores (10/31/06 09:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: spores]
    #6230179 -

True, hmmm....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: woodchip hunting - deadly galerina? [Re: xmush]
    #6232181 -

for those who are suggesting Russula or Cortinarius I should apologise for my poor description!! None of the mushrooms in my scan were more than 4-5cm high --- so too small and fragile for either of the above surely??
Anyway next time I ID request I'll do it properly!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What not to pick!! (pics of deadly Galerinas) Lizard King 2,792 5 12/14/01 12:04 AM
by psilocybian
* More Deadly Galerina Mushrooms in Seattle mjshroomer 2,678 9 10/14/03 03:12 PM
by mjshroomer
* Some Deadly Galerinas Along Revenna Blvd. mjshroomer 1,750 2 04/03/03 03:11 AM
by blaze2
* Galerina Autumnalis/Ps. Cyan look alike Anansi 2,635 11 12/12/03 12:02 PM
by Anansi
* Some cyans and some very deadly galerina look-a-likes mjshroomer 2,721 13 11/28/04 03:52 PM
by GGreatOne234
* Good safe hunting tip...DONT
( 1 2 all )
deathcapcubensis 5,917 24 11/19/04 08:03 PM
by ToxicMan
* Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata mjshroomer 9,610 9 10/11/03 04:40 PM
by cardboard
* Todays hunt - help ID please. T0aD 1,682 9 10/15/03 02:04 PM
by T0aD

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
6,243 topic views. 0 members, 7 guests and 37 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.