Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata
    #1994970 - 10/09/03 10:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Found these while coming home from the grocery store today.

These are deadly and sometimes will resemble both p. stuntzii and P. cyanescens even in color.

Here are four images of this deadly mushroom

mj

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Loc: Hawaii
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1995059 - 10/09/03 10:27 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the pics mj. They do look just like cys and it shows just how careful people must be when picking.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: wacked]
    #1995120 - 10/09/03 10:39 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Luckily, the gills give these puppys away. Thanks for the post MJ.

OfflineSmurfydoo
result of Scoobyand Smurf loveaffair
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle WA
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: Stymee]
    #1995478 - 10/10/03 12:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I know I've spent alot of time looking at those before....I found them when they were babies and kept checking back....lol
Guess it's a good thing I'm not into picking the young uns. :wink:

--------------------
Smurfydoo
---------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: Smurfydoo]
    #1995664 - 10/10/03 01:21 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

They look like all the other two species Galerina marginata and galerina autumnalis.

at least the younger ones sdo. these caps do get a little wavy but the darker smaller ones are closer in color to autumnalis.

mj

Anonymous

#1997806 - 10/10/03 05:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Just goes to show how careful people need to be when picking,and MJ gets my props,he's always on top of things,keep it up MJ,your tha kizing!Peace

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: ]
    #1999977 - 10/11/03 01:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There are alot of very obvious differences between galerinas and psilocybes. I would argue that the color never even comes close to resembling psilocybes unless your color blind. The texture of the stem is all wrong and if you ever pick one of the galerinas you know it before you can pull it out of the ground. Its like knowing your hand from your ass i guess some people can pull it off while others are still confused.....

--------------------
stay off my land

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Deadly Poisonous Galerina venenata [Re: cardboard]
    #2000353 - 10/11/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I totally disagree with you cardboard. Both P. cyanescens anbd P. stuntzii can macroscopically resemble and mimic the color and wavy caps of the two species.

Here below are two pictures of Galerina autumnalis and Galerina marginata and Psilocybe cyanescens and Psilocybe stuntzii. These Galerinas have been observed fruiting in the middle of small colonies of P. cyanescens and P. stuntzii, expecially the latter which has a broader variety of colors in their caps.

see images posted below and text.

Top Row Left: Galerina autumnalis:-------------------Right: Galerina venenata
Bottom Row Left: Psilocybe cyanescens;------------Right: Psilocybe stuntzii

and looking directly down on these mushrooms you cannot destinguish the caps of these shrooms from one another at various stages of their growth and developement because of mimicking various colors in the caps.

Last year Roadkill and I posted a picture of Galerina marginata growing right in the center of a bunch of p. cyanescens near South Seattle Community College.

Click on image below to enlarge

And it was a 16-year-old girl and two 17-year-old boys, who in 1982, on Christmas day, the girl died after her and her two friends ate a bunch of Galerina autmnalis shrooms and for three days did not go to the hospital for treatment after becoming deadly sick from eating them. They thought they looked just like the P. stuntzii's they picked using Bob Harris' book Growing Wild mushrooms from his pictures of p. stuntzii labeled as P. pugetensis. They were afraid to go to the hospital because they thought they would be charged and prosecuted for being in possession of or eating a controlled substance, namely the deadly shrooms they ate thinking they were a Psilocybe.

And that little baby P. cyanescens (Chestnut colored shroom) in the top center of the above image could easily resemble those little baby G. venenata's in the photos I posted first pictures of this thread.

and/or resemble the yougG. autumnalis from above.

many people pick the shrooms, especially uundeveloped shrooms whose caps have not even opened and never look at the stems to see what colors they are.

I have taken people picking liberty caps in fields and when i check their bags, I sometimes find two or three other shrooms, Panaeolus and/or Conocybes in their bags because they just picked everything they see next to each other thinking they all look alike because they are mushrooms..

mj

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (10/11/03 04:45 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #2000360 - 10/11/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

ANd P. cyanescens, although i do not have time to post more images on this subject, also have a wide variance in their colors due to weather conditions, form a caramel brow to a chestnut red to ochreaceos orange colors.

to faded straw ccolor since both genera (Galerina and Psilocybe) are hygrophanous they both fade to a straw yello in drying and in aging.

mj

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #2000718 - 10/11/03 06:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

To the untrained eye they may look somewhat similiar i was not arguing that but if you spend 1 day out in the field comparing psilocybes and galerinas then i really dont understand how you say they look similiar when they look completly different, nobody here who has seen both galerinas and psilocybes together will argue that. The only fungal growth that sometimes makes me 2nd guess are very young and meaty psyatheralla (sp) pins. As for the deaths you mention above the people in question obviously didnt have a clue as to what they were looking for, not to mention no respect for the natural world which could very well kill (hey it did) them. So i believe what we have here is not a macroscopic similiarity but another oportunity for idiots to do dumb things and scare the shit out of otherwise rational people. Ps MJSHROOMER i am not arguing with you but stating my opinion and i have thought alot about it so lets just leave it be okay well thanks.

--------------------
stay off my land

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification