Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: Washington State
Cyan or Galerina (or something else)
    #3417347 - 11/27/04 09:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Id help requested for:

Habitat: mixed mulch and grass, edge of Salal patch, under sparse Doug Firs
Date: 11/26/04
Conditions: Recent rains followed by freezing to near freezing nights
Cap: 1.5" diameter, brown center with slight dimple fading to tan on the edges. The center has turned significantly darker after sitting now for 32 hours.
Gills: Cinnamon brown, believe these are what are referred to as "unattached" to the stipe, not sure though
Stipe: Off white to very slightly tan, hollow
Spore print: dark brown
Odour: Very fruity and persistent

Sorry these photos are not high quality. am not looking for an id to ingest this but rather to get an idea as to whether returning to the location for better samples is worth the time (in other words are these possibly active cyans)

Unfortunately I mishandled the pick, and somehow lost the stipe to this specimen so it is not in the photos along wth the cap.

The cap was, and is still after 32 hours very very moist. The spreprint has been very weak. The print is also a little darker than it appears in the photograph.

The other species that seem close to this as far as i can find are Galerina Venenata and G. Marginata. Marginata seems to have a much more umbrella like cap if remember correctly and Venenata have noticeably darker stipes than described above.

Thanks for any help, and any correction to nomenclature above, this is my first season.

(Photos were taken about half a day after picking)

Edited by SpiritualAtheist (11/27/04 10:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Cyan or Galerina (or something else) [Re: SpiritualAtheist]
    #3417378 - 11/27/04 10:09 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

No blue = No Cyanescens.

The spore print does not indicate Psilocybe; Galerina is a possibility.

What happened to your thumb dude!? that looks painful!

Loc: Washington State
Thumb story [Re: shroomydan]
    #3417816 - 11/28/04 12:38 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Shroomydan, Thanks for the help on the id!

The thumb happened 3-4 months back while backpacking. While checking my backpack for the trip I replaced a damaged attachment pin which secures the pack to the frame, with a cut piece of coat hanger wire. The position of the pin is not up against the back at all, so I didn't think about covering the sharp ends of the wire after twisting the ends tightly together with some pliers.

About six miles into the first day, I was removing the pack to take a break. As I pulled the straps off my shoulders i reached around with my left hand to grab the frame and ready it for disembarkation from the mothership. The lower portion of my thumbs cuticle ended up positioned right under the sharp part of the hanger wire. When I let the pack come fully off my back and its 45 pounds became fully engaged by Terra Firma's gravity well, the end of the wire quickly pierced through the thumbnail, dragging my hand (with me attached) quickly to the ground.

Yeah, it was painful. It stopped hurting though, about 3 weeks after I unimpaled the thumb from the wire and stopped screaming. The look on my hiking buddy was priceless.. well at least in retrospect.

Fortunately I have a good sense of humor and get a good chuckle out of the story.  Thanks for asking. Damn now its throbbing again.....  j/k :wink:

Be Well!

Wonder and awe at the universe is a product of observation and analysis. Fear and uncertainty a product of relying on comfortable beliefs.

Edited by SpiritualAtheist (11/28/04 12:38 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification