Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
humboldt help
    #3493070 - 12/13/04 07:54 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone.  I've been lurking here off and on for a few years, even grew some cubensis years ago using the pftek method.  I'm now in humboldt and went on my first n. california search for mushrooms, and can't seem to find anything active except aminita muscaria's in the forest.

I'm wondering if it's a little to late in the year.  I'm going to see a best friend i haven't seen in a really long time, and was hoping i could find a few mushrooms and ship them out there so we could remember old times :smile:.  The past couple of days i've been where friends have told me i should look.  Yesterday my gf and i went in the dunes in a couple of spots on the n. jetti and only found small brown mushrooms that gave a brown spore print that look just like the poisonous look alike in that part of the faqs.  Aquired a few ticks wading through the dune grass, but that's about it.

Today we went into some forest a ways north of that and found lots of really cool mushrooms, but no actives except the aminitas.  We went into every alder patch we could find, thinking if they grow on mulch, they should grow in alder parts of the forest, with no luck.  We found one old cyanescens i believe, but it was pretty rotten.  We found some that looked just like them, but the stem was brown, and it didn't blue at all.

I'm not asking for specific locations, just some advice if anyone's willing.  It rained a little yesterday, but other than that it's been about 3-4 days since rain.  Maybe that's the problem?  Any advice would rule.  I would like to go out again tomorrow, but it seems like most people at least find a few in a few hours, and i can't seem to find any. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: humboldt help [Re: phil_debowl1]
    #3493081 - 12/13/04 07:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Finding PNW actives in the forrest is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Stick to looking in woodchips and on the dunes. If they can be found, they will be found there.

Re: humboldt help [Re: Gumby]
    #3494356 - 12/13/04 11:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks gumby. You're right about the forest. Mushrooms everywhere, just not the right ones. Some very beautiful ones though. We saw some that had purple caps, those were my favorites we saw today. I'll check out the dunes again tomorrow. Hopefully i'll find a few before we have to leave.

The reply is much appreciated.

Male User Gallery

Re: humboldt help [Re: phil_debowl1]
    #3496446 - 12/14/04 11:41 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, if you're looking in the dune grass at the north jetty, I'd suggest you look a few miles northeast of there (check a map). Look in the dune grass, where it's bent over and decomposing, turned grey. It lays over the sand and the cyans grow right out of the grass stems as they decompose. Watch out for the galerinas -- they grow out of the bush lupines as they decompose. So, if it's growing out of a lupine stem, forget it. If the mushrooms are growing out of grass or grass buried with sand, take a closer look.

The cyans down here are different from what folks write about in Oregon and Washington, that is they seem to grow in the dune grass (like you'd expect to find azures, based on Stamet's book). They also seem to be smaller, in my experience, with a silver dollar sized cap the exception, most about the size of a quarter. They like to play hide and seek, but if you seek, you will find them.

I'd suggest that you take spore prints of the first dozen or so, to verify the identification. Dark chocolate brown with just a hint of grape/purple is how I'd describe it. Don't be wrong.

There are definately cyans in the area I described. Yesterday (December 13th), a "friend of mine" found 11 cyans in the area described during an afternoon 1/2 hour hunt. A bioassay of three caps with stems, est. 3.5 grams partly dried on the stem, demonstrated potent activity.

So, if you're in Humboldt, keep looking, they're still out there.

My thanks to the wonderful people on this board for great advice and encouragement.

*** Another edit ***
My friend just got back from his Wednesday afternoon half hour hunt. They're still there, heh heh. Wander around, there's small patches here and there. Quite a few large wavy caps, and many teenagers, too. He needs to start taking the camera.
*** End edit ***
*** Still another edit ***
My friend sent me this pic he took of the afternoon's pickings...

*** End edit ***

Edited by BobHumboldt (12/15/04 01:56 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification