Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKokserek

A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware
    #2252836 - 01/19/04 01:30 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

hey kids, you can try this at home! I came up with it myself, so it may not work if you have a drasticly different view on the universe.

Pick up a stick, and move it.

See, if everything exists relative to everything else in the universe (which is the case) then when you move the stick, you have changed the way everything, distant stars and planets, life forms and nebulas relate to that stick. When you move a stick, you don't just move a stick, you move the entire universe. The distant planets know that stick moved. This is proof of a kind of self-awareness.

Humans are self-aware units, which is pretty interesting. Imagine you are sitting at the bottom of a dark well. You can't see anything. the well is filled with water at room temperature. You're floating. You touch your face. Your face proves the existence of the hand and the hand proves the existence of the face. Your hands touch eachother. Your left hand proves the existence of your right hand, your right hand proves the existence of your left hand. We are all mini-universes.

The distant planets prove the existence of the stick, and the stick proves the existence of the distant planets.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: Kokserek]
    #2252877 - 01/19/04 01:46 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The distant planets know that stick moved

No, the stick just moved. The distant galaxies don't know that the stick moved. (They can't know because the information can't travel faster than light. ) :smirk: :smile:

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: Annom]
    #2252913 - 01/19/04 01:56 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

eventually they'll "know"
gravity has no range

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2252921 - 01/19/04 01:59 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well...
the einstein-rosen-podansky gedankenexperiment has been lab-tested for supraluminal "information" transfer (i think "spin" in the test case) & the "sister-particle" was able to respond "instantly" to a change in state... and since "everything" was once part of the original "superparticle" that manifested at the instant of the "big bang" ---- well, we're all part of the same big hologram, right?
~
(for physics readings:
time, space and beyond
the dancing wu li masters
the tao of physics
stalking the wild pendulum
taking the quantum leap
~
more, anyone?)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2252943 - 01/19/04 02:04 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

True. In about 2.000.000 years somewhere in Andromeda :laugh:

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2252963 - 01/19/04 02:09 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see how this proves anything, or is even an experiment.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: gnrm23]
    #2252989 - 01/19/04 02:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The EPR experiment?
Faster than light speed is possible, sort of. It does not however allow for any form of communication, apart from one particle telling its other paired half what state to collapse into, and certainly does not allow it for solid matter.

Invisiblepsychopsilocyber
Male

#2253198 - 01/19/04 03:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

My understanding is that gravity (em waves and what not) is like friction to particles, making them visible. I dont know anything about dark-matter but I might assume that it is just particles that arent made visible by the friction of gravity(am I wrong?) Anyway so of the energy that is visible, some of it is used by lifeforms who may view themselves as separate, though it's all the same material arranged differently. So what's the difference between a conscious, human with an ego and a tree(stick in this case)?

I think the main difference is the ego, which is shaped much in the same way as the body, or a plant - they're all shaped by the environment.

Now if something is shaped by what made it is it not accurate to assume it may resemble that which created it? Like McKenna's analogy something like - "why do sand dunes look like wind? Because the wind formed it." Now you might say the sand is the wind, the consciousness is not separate from that which shaped the consciousness, would that be going too far? I think it's just using dualism to explain something that is one, so it may not sound right.

Tell me this, do humans have control of there own evolution? Does that mean the universe must be aware in order to produce such organisms?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #2253249 - 01/19/04 03:35 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"My understanding is that gravity (em waves and what not) is like friction to particles, making them visible."

that's not how science defines it.  gravity is a force.  an em wave is an em wave.  a force can move or stop something, friction only moves against the particles.  really all friction is the measure of the amount of times the very very tiny jagged edges (going down to an atomic level) hit the object in motion (such as a tire).

I dunno what you mean about making things visible, could you explain?

when talking about physics, energy isn't visible, radiation however is. remember energy doesn't exist except in our heads to describe motion (when talking about physics).

"Tell me this, do humans have control of there own evolution? Does that mean the universe must be aware in order to produce such organisms? "

I think we have some part in it, but not the entire thing.  too much chaos going around IMHO.

again I'm not saying I know everything and blah blah blah, but when talking about physics I at least know how things are defined.  be careful what you read.... (that includes me an my science books :smile:)

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: kaiowas]
    #2253291 - 01/19/04 03:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Gravity is a deformation in space... according to Einstein  :tongue:.

Tell me this, do humans have control of there own evolution? Does that mean the universe must be aware in order to produce such organisms?

No, we can only follow the laws of nature. Free will doesn't exist IMO so we don't have "control".

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2253296 - 01/19/04 03:51 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Gravity is a deformation in space... according to Einstein."

I thought gravity caused the deformation? i dunno, I'll be studying Einstein in depth this semester. hmmm damn I wish I could say more, must....read......book....ahead of the class.........hehe

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2253318 - 01/19/04 03:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm only in the first stage(out of 100 :smirk:) of understanding Einstein.

Physics is very interesting. Must consume information.... must read everything.... must think...    :smirk:

What do you study?

Offlinefungulus
    #2253466 - 01/19/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone here ever heard of Chaos Thoery?

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: fungulus]
    #2253483 - 01/19/04 04:39 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes.......????

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2253703 - 01/19/04 06:05 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I feel the need to point out:

An experiment is not intended to, and should not be intended to "prove" something.

Experiments are for testing a theory!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineShizpow
Street Samurai

Loc: Oregon
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self a [Re: trendal]
    #2254906 - 01/20/04 01:04 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"I feel the need to point out:
An experiment is not intended to, and should not be intended to "prove" something.
Experiments are for testing a theory!"

Yes, but testing in order to gain coroboration, which is as close as we can get to certain proof of anything.

--------------------
If you cut a face lengthwise, urinate on it, and trample on it with straw sandles, it is said that the skin will come off. This was heard by the priest Gyojaku when he was in Kyoto. It is information to be treasured.

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: Phluck]
    #2254959 - 01/20/04 02:01 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
I don't see how this proves anything, or is even an experiment.

LMAO

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self a [Re: Shizpow]
    #2255161 - 01/20/04 05:12 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe so, but it's the testing that counts.

People who perform experiments with the express intent to proove something are much more likely to have their results swayed or altered to fit their intentions.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: Phluck]
    #2255172 - 01/20/04 05:23 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> I don't see how this proves anything, or is even an experiment.

Hypothesis: the univser is self aware
Method: Pick up a stick, and move it.
Observations: The distant planets know that stick moved.
Conclusion: If everything exists relative to everything else in the universe, then when you move the stick, you have changed the way everything, distant stars and planets, life forms and nebulas relate to that stick. When you move a stick, you don't just move a stick, you move the entire universe.  The distant planets prove the existence of the stick, and the stick proves the existence of the distant planets.  Therefore, the univsere is self aware.

:grin:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: A simple experiment to prove that the universe is self aware [Re: Seuss]
    #2255203 - 01/20/04 05:47 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

The universe isn't self-aware, for Pete's sake. This is like saying my bowl knows that I smoked it--it doesn't have a mind.

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder