Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Psychiatrist
    #21380202 -

Does anyone see/have one?

What do they do for you?

If you don't mind;
Share your experience(s) please
:cuddles:


--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: mushypanda]
    #21380676 -

This thread was moved from Other Drugs Discussion.

Reason:
This thread probably belongs here, and will receive a more thorough response here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21380707 -

My psychiatrist gave me myself and my life back.  Without them, I would be completely out of control or dead. 

Their diagnosis, which I don't perceive as a static, concrete label, is bipolar II disorder.  Bipolar II disorder arises with contributions from numerous biopsychosocial factors, which is to say that it emerges from biological (genetic & environmental) factors, psychological (largely childhood and emotional context) factors, and social factors (class, financial stress, economic mobility and so forth).  It is characterized by a persistently depressed state in which the individual is virtually incapable of experiencing joy or pleasure, except during periods of hypomania, which is an over-charged experience of joy and pleasure often presenting with irritability and distorted notions about oneself or one's abilities.

I'm being treated with two pharmaceuticals, both of which are somewhat unconventional for their application: mirtazapine (Remeron), and quetiapine (Seroquel).  Finding this successful combination was a long, painstaking effort involving numerous failed single- and dual-medication strategies, but because I stuck with my psychiatrist we eventually hit upon this winning combination.  These two medications, combined with psychotherapy and numerous environmental changes, constitute the reason why I am able to articulate any of this to you today, and why I've been able to compose, produce, and master an entire album of electronic music (in my signature).  Put quite simply, without this treatment I would be too depressed or too unstable to accomplish either task.

That being said, my life is far from perfect and rosy.  I remain shaky in my coping ability when it comes to stress, and struggle with my day-to-day life.  I have few relationships, because I simply cannot endure the complexity and pressure of numerous relationships.  That being said, I am far better off than I would otherwise be, and am standing in a position where I can choose positive directions.  For me, the field of psychiatry has been the difference between having a life of chaos and despair (or a life at all), and a life where I can savour some things.  From my point of view, this is an entire universe of difference.


--------------------


:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21381502 -

Thank you Ped


--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: mushypanda]
    #21381512 -

All they do is listen to you then write a prescription as suggested by big pharma.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21381530 -

Ped said:
My psychiatrist gave me myself and my life back.  Without them, I would be completely out of control or dead. 

Their diagnosis, which I don't perceive as a static, concrete label, is bipolar II disorder.  Bipolar II disorder arises with contributions from numerous biopsychosocial factors, which is to say that it emerges from biological (genetic & environmental) factors, psychological (largely childhood and emotional context) factors, and social factors (class, financial stress, economic mobility and so forth).  It is characterized by a persistently depressed state in which the individual is virtually incapable of experiencing joy or pleasure, except during periods of hypomania, which is an over-charged experience of joy and pleasure often presenting with irritability and distorted notions about oneself or one's abilities.

I'm being treated with two pharmaceuticals, both of which are somewhat unconventional for their application: mirtazapine (Remeron), and quetiapine (Seroquel).  Finding this successful combination was a long, painstaking effort involving numerous failed single- and dual-medication strategies, but because I stuck with my psychiatrist we eventually hit upon this winning combination.  These two medications, combined with psychotherapy and numerous environmental changes, constitute the reason why I am able to articulate any of this to you today, and why I've been able to compose, produce, and master an entire album of electronic music (in my signature).  Put quite simply, without this treatment I would be too depressed or too unstable to accomplish either task.

That being said, my life is far from perfect and rosy.  I remain shaky in my coping ability when it comes to stress, and struggle with my day-to-day life.  I have few relationships, because I simply cannot endure the complexity and pressure of numerous relationships.  That being said, I am far better off than I would otherwise be, and am standing in a position where I can choose positive directions.  For me, the field of psychiatry has been the difference between having a life of chaos and despair (or a life at all), and a life where I can savour some things.  From my point of view, this is an entire universe of difference.



While I applaud you for taking measures to improve your well-being, your first statement is a little concerning.

Reminds me of the alcoholics anonymous mantra "I am powerless against drinking", it removes all sense of responsibility for ones potential to make change for ones-self.

When it works it works, but to say it is the only way is to ignore worlds of other possibilities.


--------------------
"I didn't know chicken's wore suspenders" - Towelie


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21381551 -

Ped said:
My psychiatrist gave me myself and my life back.  Without them, I would be completely out of control or dead. 

Their diagnosis, which I don't perceive as a static, concrete label, is bipolar II disorder.  Bipolar II disorder arises with contributions from numerous biopsychosocial factors, which is to say that it emerges from biological (genetic & environmental) factors, psychological (largely childhood and emotional context) factors, and social factors (class, financial stress, economic mobility and so forth).  It is characterized by a persistently depressed state in which the individual is virtually incapable of experiencing joy or pleasure, except during periods of hypomania, which is an over-charged experience of joy and pleasure often presenting with irritability and distorted notions about oneself or one's abilities.

I'm being treated with two pharmaceuticals, both of which are somewhat unconventional for their application: mirtazapine (Remeron), and quetiapine (Seroquel).  Finding this successful combination was a long, painstaking effort involving numerous failed single- and dual-medication strategies, but because I stuck with my psychiatrist we eventually hit upon this winning combination.  These two medications, combined with psychotherapy and numerous environmental changes, constitute the reason why I am able to articulate any of this to you today, and why I've been able to compose, produce, and master an entire album of electronic music (in my signature).  Put quite simply, without this treatment I would be too depressed or too unstable to accomplish either task.

That being said, my life is far from perfect and rosy.  I remain shaky in my coping ability when it comes to stress, and struggle with my day-to-day life.  I have few relationships, because I simply cannot endure the complexity and pressure of numerous relationships.  That being said, I am far better off than I would otherwise be, and am standing in a position where I can choose positive directions.  For me, the field of psychiatry has been the difference between having a life of chaos and despair (or a life at all), and a life where I can savour some things.  From my point of view, this is an entire universe of difference.



I'd have to agree with Ped. As bad as the pharmaceutical industry is made out to be, the medication I am on has saved my life, although it took over one year to find the right medication. I am on Clozapine for Schizophrenia and tried 3 medications before that.


--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist [Re: mushypanda]
    #21382019 -

youre going to get conflicting theories on this board. a lot of people will tell you that psychiatrists are simply there to write a prescriptions, that you are nothing more than a dollar sign, that mental illness isn't "real". these same people will also tell you that psychedelic drugs are the answer to everything. depressed? take some psychedelics! anxiety? psychedelics! disease? uh uh, no more. just take some psychedelics! however, IN MY OPINION, this is not the answer.

while i do think psychedelic drugs can be extremely valuable if taken under the right circumstances, and often give you an insight that is impossible to achieve sober, if youre dealing with depression of a chemical nature, drugs are only going to further exacerbate your symptoms.

however, i do not think medication is the answer to everything. i think it can be a valuable tool, but if you are under the assumption that there is some sort of magical pill out there, you are sorely mistaken. if this is the route you choose to take, keep in mind that it is going to be a POSSIBLY long and difficult road. it often takes months of trial and error to find a medication that relieves some of your symptoms. and often it causes unwanted ones such as insomnia and sexual side effects.

your best bet is to see a therapist capable of writing prescriptions, instead of a straight psychiatrist. a psychiatrist will simply listen to your symptoms, write you a prescription, and send you on your way. if you can find a therapist who can write you prescriptions while engaging in talk therapy, 6 months from now you may find you don't even need the medication anymore.

good luck!

Edited by m4dScientist (03/09/15 10:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist [Re: m4dScientist]
    #21382207 -

I have gone through therapy.. I wasn't aware therapists can write scripts.

Thank you for all your input


--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Yukon Cornelius]
    #21382511 -

>> While I applaud you for taking measures to improve your well-being, your first statement is a little concerning.

It's just the truth.


>> Reminds me of the alcoholics anonymous mantra "I am powerless against drinking", it removes all sense of responsibility for ones potential to make change for ones-self.

Following through with psychiatric care is an act of self-discipline and self-responsibility.  It's taking responsibility for one's mental health, and allowing qualified medical professionals to help me help myself.  It is the opposite of the AA mantra, "I am powerless against drinking." On the contrary, it says "I am not powerless against this condition, and with effort and help I can manage or overcome it."


>> When it works it works, but to say it is the only way is to ignore worlds of other possibilities.

Nobody said it was the only way.  In fact, other worlds and other possibilities were exhausted before I finally accepted that psychiatry (i.e., western medicine) was appropriate for me and my circumstances.


--------------------


:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21383021 -

This is the situation I'm in :whathesaid:


--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: ketsa]
    #21383698 -

>> All they do is listen to you then write a prescription as suggested by big pharma.

Plainly false.

There is too much meddling in patient care coming from the pharmaceutical industry, but to say that "all they do" is "write a prescriptions as suggested by big pharma" is a plain falsehood.


--------------------


:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21384048 -

I'm considering a combination of psychiatrist/psychotherapy and maybe a move.. It's not feasible... But there's simply no job market here. Today local Sunday paper headline was area in economic black hole :facepalm:


--------------------
There is something to be said for nodding out to a spectacle of colors. Plus that body high & euphoria...._Dark-Star
We are entirely defined by what we do and how we treat others._daytripper05

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Ped]
    #21384414 -

Ped said:
>> While I applaud you for taking measures to improve your well-being, your first statement is a little concerning.

It's just the truth.


>> Reminds me of the alcoholics anonymous mantra "I am powerless against drinking", it removes all sense of responsibility for ones potential to make change for ones-self.

Following through with psychiatric care is an act of self-discipline and self-responsibility.  It's taking responsibility for one's mental health, and allowing qualified medical professionals to help me help myself.  It is the opposite of the AA mantra, "I am powerless against drinking." On the contrary, it says "I am not powerless against this condition, and with effort and help I can manage or overcome it."


>> When it works it works, but to say it is the only way is to ignore worlds of other possibilities.

Nobody said it was the only way.  In fact, other worlds and other possibilities were exhausted before I finally accepted that psychiatry (i.e., western medicine) was appropriate for me and my circumstances.



Thanks for the clarification, however it is the truth as you see it.

The second bit seems like another reformulation of that mantra, "I am not powerless against this condition, and with effort and help I can manage or overcome it", could be followed by "through christ" and still be on point.

Not trying to be anti-pharmaceutical, just clear on interpretation.

I'm not a fan of the extremes of either "psychiatric drugs are the most effective way to treat mental illness" or "pharmaceuticals are all bad and you should just eat psychedelics to treat your problems".

My brother views his own treatment in a similar manner as you, I just don't think he explored other options seriously.

Always appreciate your insightful posts. :peace:


--------------------
"I didn't know chicken's wore suspenders" - Towelie


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Psychiatrist (moved) [Re: Yukon Cornelius]
    #21393906 -

>> The second bit seems like another reformulation of that mantra, "I am not powerless against this condition, and with effort and help I can manage or overcome it", could be followed by "through christ" and still be on point.

The thing is, Christ is an invisible ghost which does not exist, the belief in which rests entirely on superstition and fantasy.  The field of psychiatry, in contrast, emerges from a scientific basis, pursues a scientific course, relies upon a continuously refined discourse between mental health professionals and their patients, and benefits from an increasingly sophisticated nsight into the brain and its physiology.  Because this is true, following my words with "through Christ" would not be on point at all.  In fact, it would be a 180 degree turn from the point.

I don't mean to rail on you, but I am adamant on this point:  pursuing treatment for a mental illness through psychiatry is not an admission of weakness or powerlessness, nor is it a choice of faith or belief.  On the contrary, pursuing treatment for a mental illness through psychiatry is an act of courage, a sign of strength, of autonomy, and it is an investment in an evidence-based approach.


--------------------


:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A thought about pharmaceuticals and the people who endorse them...
( 1 2 3 all )
some1whoisntme 7,735 47 04/12/06 03:59 PM
by SneezingPenis
* Vitamins and supplements to become prescription drugs? Jellric 2,181 13 02/15/08 05:00 AM
by JTB22
* Psychedelics as an aid to self-psychotherapy redtailedhawk 1,517 8 05/20/05 01:18 PM
by Icelander
* No more meds. But everything still kinda pulses and moves?? SalviaD 1,517 10 03/19/04 09:21 AM
by SalviaD
* bastard psychiatrists ...
( 1 2 3 all )
Acidic_SlothM 7,559 42 07/17/03 05:44 AM
by JameZTheNewbie
* Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE*
( 1 2 all )
Cosm 3,271 22 01/15/05 06:24 PM
by enotake2
* Pharmaceutical Speedball NosferatuMan 2,088 14 12/14/04 01:03 AM
by SpaceWrangler
* went to a psychiatrist today... MJF 1,330 16 09/16/05 03:18 PM
by MJF

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
689 topic views. 0 members, 3 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 15 queries.