Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE*
    #3615809 - 01/12/05 02:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Do you think the Pharmaceutical industry is hurting people more so than helping.
Pharmaceutical
You may choose only one
Yes, they hurt people more than help.
No, they are helping.

Votes accepted from (01/12/05 01:56 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: Cosm]
    #3615829 - 01/12/05 02:07 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

personally yes. but hten its hard to say without knowing all the facts. if you believ certain books and doctors tehy have suppressed the cures of various things, including cancers.

teh only use they have for me is isopropyl alcohol.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: kadakuda]
    #3615845 - 01/12/05 02:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I work for a pharmaceutical company, and I'll tell you this: as long as a drug makes them millions/billions and doesn't kill so many people such that their company gets sued, then they really don't care what they throw out to the public. It's all money-driven. All of it.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: daba]
    #3615913 - 01/12/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say they do more harm than they do good. When you think about all the negativity that manifests from pharm companies, how can you think that it does any more good than bad? Bad example, but tylenol can get rid of headaches, but taking it every day is gonna screw up your liver. Cannabis gets rid of headaches, it also has it's negative effects on the lungs, but atleast it isn't being pushed like friggen cocaine crack. Antidepressants? Shit, doctors hand them out like candy. When my doctor convinced me that ssri's were the be all, end all, I took his word on it. Not only was I far worse when I took them, but I became completely suicidal in the end. Whoops, he forgot to tell me that ssri's can turn people into complete, zombie like drones. Not to mention, the fucking withdrawal symptoms damn near killed me (Exaggerated, but I for a few miserable days I had wished I was dead rather than suffer).

Even before my bad experience I was starting to realize that they're basically getting to the point where they want to find a drug for every negative health aspect, and push it like there's no tomorrow.

They realize that people will continue to buy from them until death. People don't know better. These are supposed to be reputable companies that are out there to save lifes and better assist those with physical and mental ailments. Their exploitation is utterly and absolutely fucking disgusting. It just sickens me how they could do shit like this to people. And to think that our governments are backing this kind of bull.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: browndustin]
    #3616931 - 01/12/05 08:42 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

They harm people as much as tobacco companies harm people. Not at all!

Free will and the ability to make choices about what goes into your body is your responsiblity, not a company that provides a product that is in high demand.

Educate yourself and stop looking for the easy way out.

Besides, doctors prescribe the drugs, not the patients. But it doesn't help that everyone having a bad day to a problem concentrating feels like a kid in a candy store when they get their "magic" pill to make everything all better.

Personally I think its great that the drug companies can sell these stupid drugs to the weak people of society. Research is growing by leaps and bounds because of this, and drugs that cure ACTUAL diseases are being formulated. Which is a good thing for humanity

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3617331 - 01/12/05 12:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If the pharmaceutical industry, and thus their products, are harming people, do you think that sending medicine to TsunamiLand is an evil, malicious attack, and that the people would have done better without the medicines?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Anonymous #1

#3617364 - 01/12/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yes. They are just as capitalist as any other big business in America. It is all about commercializing, convincing that you "need" it, and drawing you in. These drugs hit the market so fast that their screening process is a fucking joke. Look at Vioxx, Ultram, Paxil, the list goes on and on. Anyone with a problem in life has a chemical imbalance and needs an SSRI :smirk:

SoopaX - Thats whats called a band-aid. To patch up public relations and make yourself look good.

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: Organic]
    #3617374 - 01/12/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

so you dont think they need the medicine?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3617426 - 01/12/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
so you dont think they need the medicine?

Nope. 95% at least. That is my opinion though, I don't even view psychology as a science, so when a psychiatrist or whoever in academia comes up with a new brain disorder, I am very skeptical.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: looner2]
    #3617489 - 01/12/05 12:57 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

It's silly to say that psychology isn't a science. There ARE a LOT of pseudoscientific ramblings related to psychology, but there's a lot of real science as well. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That said, the vast majority of drugs manufactured by pharmaceutical companies can, and do help people. Ritalin and SSRI's may be the drugs you hear about the most, but they certainly aren't the most used.

There are alternative medicine practicioners who are causing quite a bit of harm as well. By promoting "cure alls" that haven't actually gone through any scientific testing. Find a handful of people who were using your therapy, and then their cancer went away and claim that's what caused it... whatever you do don't mention that every once in a while, cancer goes into remission and we aren't sure why. There have been lots more people who have abandoned mordern medicine for crystals, reiki, or magic herbs, only to pay with their lives.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous #1

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: wrestler_az]
    #3618016 - 01/12/05 03:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

1 - If you are talking about the tsunami victims...

Yes, they need the medicine.

No, the pharmaceutical industry is not giving it to "help" them.

2 - If you are talking about people that get prescribed a drug that permanently alters your brain chemistry to overcome a hurdle in life...

No, they generally do not need the medicine. The problem is called life and is most of the time NOT a chemical imbalance. There are CERTAINLY genuine cases, but not on the scale the drugs are prescribed.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: Phluck]
    #3620831 - 01/12/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
It's silly to say that psychology isn't a science. There ARE a LOT of pseudoscientific ramblings related to psychology, but there's a lot of real science as well. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And how to sift through the junk? Psychology cannot study the mind, they can only study behavior, and from that they make deductions on the mind. This system is set up for subjective input to the point that it strays from what science is. No way to rigorously test someones hypothesis through math and logic. You end up shrugging your shoulders and saying... "i guess so..."

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: looner2]
    #3621994 - 01/13/05 03:33 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychology cannot study the mind

true, to an extent, but it *can* study the brain, the biological organ taht controlls behavior, and this s what psychoactives affect to alter behavior. this is not a comment on the morality or nescessity of the market saturation of phychotropics, merely a symantical rebuttal of your shift to the abstract.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: canid]
    #3625693 - 01/13/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, when you're at the end of the line, and your family physician spends 2 hours convincing you that this mild, harmless pill can aid you in restoring your confidence in life then you'd probably try it too.

You don't have to be a jackass either my friend. The only reason why I took ssri's was because I was not the one who spent a fraction of my life studying medicine. Since then I have better educated myself. I do admit that I may (and probably do) have a bias against pharm companies. Although I believe that you can I can probably agree that they're certainly not saints at the same time.

Personally I don't bother with many drugs anymore recreationally or medically, asides from cannabis. Not to be some self righteous buddha poser, but I try to deal with my ailments through alternative methods now that I have a little more knowledge. You can keep the body and mind pretty damn healthy with a good diet and a little bit of sense I suppose.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3625989 - 01/14/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

We would be so much better off without the pharmaceutical industry. God knows I hate to see diseases cured.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3626006 - 01/14/05 12:45 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Organic said:
Yes. They are just as capitalist as any other big business in America.

How is that a bad thing? No one forces anyone to do anything. Do you think marijuana should be legal? I have seen people who smoke marijuana suffer negative side effects. So is marijuana different from the legal drugs? Please enlighten me.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3626013 - 01/14/05 12:46 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Organic said:
1 - If you are talking about the tsunami victims...

Yes, they need the medicine.

Why does their motive matter? Are they helping the victims or not?

--------------------

Anonymous #1

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: z@z.com]
    #3626460 - 01/14/05 02:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

How is that a bad thing? No one forces anyone to do anything. Do you think marijuana should be legal? I have seen people who smoke marijuana suffer negative side effects. So is marijuana different from the legal drugs? Please enlighten me.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. The thread is about the pharmaceutical industry. Are they helping or hurting people. The point tied in with why they commercialize their "treatments" for depression. If you think their marketing goals are to make money to help more people, I'm afraid you are mistaken. It is to make money for themselves. That is my point.

And regarding marijuana, I think all drugs should be legal. Where did I say SSRI's and such should not be? People can make their own decisions, regardless of the negative side effects. Their decisions should not be soley influenced by doctors receiving kickbacks from the so helpful pharm industry and commercials that equate depression and anxiety with stress and everyday life occurences. Unfortunately that is what happens when pharm industries are more focused on making money than helping people, and in my opinion are hurting people more by doing this.

Quote:

Why does their motive matter?

See the thread topic. I'll quote it for you.

Quote:

Do you think the Pharmaceutical industry is hurting people more so than helping.

Sure, they do a LOT of good by producing helpful drugs. Yes, they occasionally find an actual effective cure/treatment. All I am saying is that their motives are not to help people. They are causing a lot of people long term damage with their 'treatments' that will require more drugs from them in the future. Makes for great job security.

I really didn't expect to be attacked in this thread, I was just explaining my vote. Peace.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #3626613 - 01/14/05 02:51 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Organic said:
The point tied in with why they commercialize their "treatments" for depression. If you think their marketing goals are to make money to help more people, I'm afraid you are mistaken. It is to make money for themselves. That is my point.

I do a lot of catering work in my job right now. I cater a lot of things for doctors offices and most of those things are paid for by drug reps. I know how they influence doctors, but just because something is prescribed to someone doesn't mean they have to take it or pay for it.

I was once prescribed a ssri. It didn't do me a damn bit of good and it may have even hurt my progress. I eventually beat the depression by taking one hit of pot every morning and excercising, but it isn't the drug company's fault for making and marketing the drug. It is my fault for not researching it before taking it.

In order for a drug company to have any incentive to research new helpful drugs they must be allowed to try and make a profit. My solution is to let them. It isn't a perfect solution, but I don't see any others that would work.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Pharmaceutical Industry *VOTE* [Re: z@z.com]
    #3627337 - 01/14/05 05:45 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

its not just the the pharm industry , its the whole medical profession.
the pharm industry has alot of clout in it, which is a bad influence.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being