Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees long...
went to a psychiatrist today...
    #4638004 - 09/09/05 01:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

went mainly because i've never been to a good psychiatrist or a therapist and just wanted to check him out...i was referred by someone...

anyways...he doesn't think i can be properly diagnosed while taking drugs and he would rather not start me on anything anyways..but said if i wanted to he would give me depakote (spelling?)

i didn't really want to go for drugs but wanted to get a referal to a good cognitive behavioral therapist....i told the doc that i probably would never be able to fully stop all drugs...specially mushroom/pot/alcohol....

anyone here bi-polar....and on meds and illicit drugs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: MJF]
    #4638161 - 09/09/05 01:52 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

my mom's bipolar :shrug:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #4638169 - 09/09/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My ex girlfriend is and she was fucking nuts. Weed didn't even calm her down, it just made everything worse when she didn't have any.

OfflineReposadoXochipilli
Here, there, inbetween
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sand and sunshine
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: Adden]
    #4638188 - 09/09/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah my step father is bi polar and if he gets manic whatch the fuck out, but if he is taking all of his stuff he is pretty normal.

--------------------

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #4638219 - 09/09/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

There are at least a few people on these boards with bipolar disorder.

Anyways, whether or not you take drugs is a personal decision that only you can make. If a doctor refuses to treat you because of that, then he or she is not living up to the Hippocratic Oath. I suggest you either tell that person this fact, or find a different doctor.

Aside from that, any doctor who would even consider prescribing any medicine, especially one that metabolises into methamphetamine, from only one visit doesn't strike me as being very ethical...probably in it more for the money.

This guy sounds like a waste of your time.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: dblaney]
    #4638257 - 09/09/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Depakote is a very UNdesirable drug with potentially bad side effects. I would seriously research this drug before taking it. I get everyone off depakote I find and switch them to ANYTHING else.
I'm not saying anything about your guy except that I fail to see how anyone could give that rancid fuck of a drug to anyone they even remotely cared about.
I, like the above poster, think a little dubiously of your guy. Maybe he is just plain drug ignorant, but how can you be? when you give that shit to people and then see with your own eyes what actually happens to them....
ALWAYS remember, medicine is just another industry, like McDonalds or a whorehouse...that is a true and inescabale fact.
SOME little fishes floating in the great rotten ocean of what we call medicine in the U.S. are not entirely ignorant and utterly bereft of real ethics, but I feel they are not in the majority...
People idolize and worship medicos...and that is not a very good idea...

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: curenado]
    #4639735 - 09/09/05 09:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Exactly what I was thinking. Watch out for drugs, they start throwing pills at you, then they can't straighten out whats been started.
You have the right idea with emotive behavioral therapy lines, IMO, great stuff, can increase your self awareness and maybe without the use of drugs.
read up on some of Dr. Albert Ellis's stuff  :thumbup:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4641080 - 09/10/05 07:02 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Im Bipolar and have been taking meds for years.Im currently on geodon and doxepin and i have been smoking marijuana for years as well. Im adhd as well and i find that marijuana has helped my nerves a bit and i dont hyperthink as much on it, problem though is its very habit forming for me i smoke weed like a true addict.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4641624 - 09/10/05 10:46 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

LouiseLouise said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Watch out for drugs, they start throwing pills at you, then they can't straighten out whats been started.
You have the right idea with emotive behavioral therapy lines, IMO, great stuff, can increase your self awareness and maybe without the use of drugs.
read up on some of Dr. Albert Ellis's stuff  :thumbup:

Great post. Yes to Ellis!

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #4645638 - 09/11/05 11:04 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I just spoke to someone who said that Depakote really helped him with his mood disorder. One of the side effects of Depakote is called 'Depakote hunger' as it may stimulate appetite in an unusually intense way. I had an 11 year old male counselee whose mother had to padlock the refrigerator.

It is true that one must stop psychoactive use because they are going to effect one's neurotransmitter levels and your M.D. needs to have a normal baseline before prescribing. It is good that you sought out the right discipline (medical), but why be closed-minded about taking these drugs? It's a whole new trip and the stability that you will hopefully experience might make your own drug use needless. Imagine that.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #4645752 - 09/11/05 11:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Surely you realize that not all drug use is abuse? In this case it may be, but in general you realize that, right?

--------------------

- John Mayer

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: dblaney]
    #4646553 - 09/11/05 03:16 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, I realize that. There is use, abuse and dependence.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

#4646955 - 09/11/05 05:21 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

Just making sure...you'd be surprised at the number of people who think that ALL use is abuse.

--------------------

- John Mayer

OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

#4649104 - 09/12/05 02:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
I just spoke to someone who said that Depakote really helped him with his mood disorder. One of the side effects of Depakote is called 'Depakote hunger' as it may stimulate appetite in an unusually intense way. I had an 11 year old male counselee whose mother had to padlock the refrigerator.

It is true that one must stop psychoactive use because they are going to effect one's neurotransmitter levels and your M.D. needs to have a normal baseline before prescribing. It is good that you sought out the right discipline (medical), but why be closed-minded about taking these drugs? It's a whole new trip and the stability that you will hopefully experience might make your own drug use needless. Imagine that.

The reason I don't trust the drugs is that I don't trust the people who make and market them. Also I have a feeling these drugs do nothing for the problem but mask it. My mom is bi-polar and in general has never gotten any better or worse through out my lifetime and is always having to switch meds.

OfflinePax
Stranger
Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: Icelander]
    #4662162 - 09/14/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I recently found out that what had been misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD for 25 years was really bipolar II. I also smoke pot (when offered, when I can afford it and have a connection, etc)but not excessively. It's a medicine for me-it calms me but does'nt knock me out-it puts me in a calm, casual, meditative sort of state which is very comfortable to
be in compared to my usual erraticness. I should add (hi everyone)that
have NOT had the opportunity to trip yet, but have been told by many friends that I should because it would open uo alot of doors for me and help me continue on my journey towards healing & self-realization.
I don't do any other drugs, drink in moderation, don't smoke, and am vegan, so I take good care of myself considering all my struggles.

OfflineKidShelleen
watch thesensations
    #4663963 - 09/15/05 08:06 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

MJF,

The human body (including the chemistry of the brain) is like an incredibly complex and subtle symphony.  When everything is in harmony, the right instruments, the right volume, the right order, the right key, it all works together.  Drugs intervene in that symphony.  If the harmony is basically right to begin with, then a drug might just change it a little and make the symphony different.  So someone can smoke pot and have a different harmony for a little while and then go back to the normal balance.  But if things are out of balance to begin with (like bi-polar or chronic depression) then it is really a crap shoot as to whether a drug is going to just knock things MORE out of balance, bring them back into balance, or do nothing. But the stronger the drug, or the more complicated the combination of drugs, the more likely the balance is going to be spun out in a serious way.

I would suggest you try and find a steadier balance before you add another drug to the mix.  Maybe that means eliminating some drugs from your life.  Maybe that means changing the way you eat or spend your time.  Maybe it means trying to wean yourself off of compulsive thinking.  There are many options.  But I suggest caution before making things more complicated.

KS :heart:

--------------------
"Who would be free themselves must strike the blow" -Lord Byron

OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

Re: went to a psychiatrist today... [Re: KidShelleen]
    #4670433 - 09/16/05 03:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

:sun:

:heart:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract