Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejoeshitragpicker
Home Sweet Home

Loc: Atlanta Flag
DMT: The Spirit Molecule
    #2114687 - 11/17/03 05:18 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Anyone else read this book? It's  pretty interesting. From 1990-1995, A research psycologist gave people IV'd DMT. Usually between .2 - .4 per killogram for each subject.
Im at the part right now where people are reporting contact with entities. Many of these reports sound like a close encounter with with entities in a seperate dimension, and only accesible through the use of excessive amounts of DMT. The brain produces DMT in the pineal gland. The pineal is situated in th exact middle of the brain. The author suggests that The mystical encounters and near-death experiences people have is due to a rush of DMT from the pineal.
But yeah.. read the book. :thumbup:   

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Loc: Second star on the right.
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: joeshitragpicker]
    #2114698 - 11/17/03 05:20 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Read it and loved it actually.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: caolite]
    #2114740 - 11/17/03 05:30 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

sweet dude

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: kaiowas]
    #2114762 - 11/17/03 05:35 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Love the book DMT is just pure access to the other 6 dimensions

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Edited by jezu (11/17/03 05:45 AM)

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #2115538 - 11/17/03 10:06 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

That book is a must read but please be skeptical of many of the theories.

"The brain produces DMT in the pineal gland." - As far as I know, that hasn't been proven.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

#2115556 - 11/17/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

i read it and i don't recommend it. it was very dry reading.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: ]
    #2115733 - 11/17/03 11:46 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Well it wasnt like Terrance Mckenna kinda book it was more of a scientific view of things.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineDannyT
Danny Tanner
 User Gallery
Loc: Souf Carolina
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: EvilGir]
    #2115777 - 11/17/03 12:02 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I enjoyed DMT a lot and read through it in like 3 sittings It's very interesting especially if you like the psychiatriac/science parts of it more.

--------------------
Oh, no, man, I feel weird
I'm trying to get the motherfucking fuck out of here
Before there's flowers here
And sour tears

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: ]
    #2116101 - 11/17/03 01:22 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I didn't think it was dry at all. I'm not trying to argue with you. I just wanted to say so because I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #2116171 - 11/17/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

i thought it was an interesting book, but dont know what credit to give it beyond that.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: El Emigrante

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #2116200 - 11/17/03 01:42 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Great book! DMT gives you access to all 11 dimensions all at once. the experience can not be justified by human terms.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: Infrared]
    #2116669 - 11/17/03 03:21 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Yep, tremendous read. What I like aobut Strassman is that being a Buddhist doesn't harm his scientific approach, even if that means eventual quarrel with his Buddhist community.

The book also sheds a light on many unusual experiences. DMT hasn't been proved to occur naturally in human beings, that is true, but the hypothesis is very tempting. This would explain all these abductions by aliens. The people who tell about them always seem SO convinced of their story, saying the experience was "more real than reality" etc... doesn't this ring a bell? Endogenous DMT could also perfectly account for mystical experience, NDE, etc.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2117107 - 11/17/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I've read this before and the science behind it is very unsound to say the least.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: pattern]
    #2117122 - 11/17/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

pattern said:
That book is a must read but please be skeptical of many of the theories.

"The brain produces DMT in the pineal gland." - As far as I know, that hasn't been proven.

Um, nothing has been proven....

But here's a reference to a study not done by Strassman -

"The pineal synthesises and releases melatonin, and perhaps other hormones in response to norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter released from its post-ganglionic sympathetic nerves. As such, the pineal is a neuroendocrine transducer like the adrenal medulla. The rate at which norepinephrine is released declines when light activates retinal photoreceptors and increases when the sympathetic nervous system is stimulated. The pineal contains a pair of enzymes hydroxyindole- O-methyl transferase (HIOMT) and indole-N-methyl transferase (INMT) which are able to convert serotonin into a number of potent hallucinogens (Most, 1986). If you increase the concentration of pineal serotonin and block its normal enzymatic inactivation, it becomes a substrate for other pineal enzymes, like HIOMT and INMT which are methyl transfer enzymes that catalyse the transfer of a methyl group from one compound to another. Thus serotonin can be converted to, for example, 5-methoxy-N,N-dymethyl tryptamine by these enzymes, a hallucinogen similar to DMT found in cawa which the Amazonian Indians add to their Banisteriopsis brew (Most,1986)"

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: Aldous]
    #2117144 - 11/17/03 05:26 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Aldous said:The book also sheds a light on many unusual experiences. DMT hasn't been proved to occur naturally in human beings, that is true, but the hypothesis is very tempting. This would explain all these abductions by aliens. The people who tell about them always seem SO convinced of their story, saying the experience was "more real than reality" etc... doesn't this ring a bell? Endogenous DMT could also perfectly account for mystical experience, NDE, etc.

And more from Shulgin:

"Thanks to the existence of ever-increasingly sensitive scientific instruments, the search of body fluids for possible psychedelics has brought forth a number that appear to be natural components of the human animal. DMT has been reported to be in the urine of schizophrenic patients, and so have 5-MeO-DMT, bufotenine, and its demethylated homologue N-methylserotonin. The levels are increased with the administration of monoamineoxidase inhibitors. A methylating enzyme has been found in blood, capable of forming DMT in plasma, and it is present in both normal subjects and schizophrenics. It is not surprising that studies comparing DMT blood levels between patients (psychotic depression, acute and chronic schizophrenia) and normal subjects have shown no differences.

In the definition of DMT either as an endogenous psychotogen or, equally appealing, as a natural neurotransmitter, it would be desirable to show that the body does not build up tolerance to it (otherwise the psychotic would spontaneously repair, and the brain would spontaneously shut down). To address this, four subjects were given some 50 mg of DMT intramuscularly, twice daily, for 5 days. The blood levels that were achieved, and the picture of autonomic effects (both in mydriasis and in cardiovascular function) were not changed. No tolerance was seen. The psychological conclusions were a little bit less convincing. Several said that the "high" was diminished, but others seemed to feel a maintenance of subjective responses. The jury is still out on this one."

OfflineFlare
journeyman
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: caolite]
    #2117322 - 11/17/03 06:05 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

intresting

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: Flare]
    #2118463 - 11/17/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 26 days ago)

Strassman shows evidence from many angles that strongly suggests that DMT is produced in the pineal, but never does he state that as fact.

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: Noviseer]
    #2118917 - 11/18/03 03:59 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I found the book to be quite interesting and disagree with those that say his science was poor, or his theories are silly. He approaches the subject with a very broad outlook and doesn't let any of his influences dominate his interpretation of his experiments.

Invisibleadrug

Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #2118928 - 11/18/03 04:04 AM (13 years, 26 days ago)

I read that book right before I read Food of the Gods. DMT:TSM was certainly dry compared to McKenna's book, but it was still a very interesting read and I plan on reading it again to try and absorb a little more.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: DMT: The Spirit Molecule [Re: adrug]
    #2120877 - 11/18/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 25 days ago)

I read it, and would recommend it to somebody who's interested in DMT.

Also, for those of you who are interested in DMT, I would also recommend TRYING SOME!

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Melatonin, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology