Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID
    #20731379 -

Habitat:
Found in grassy field, above septic leach field, chickens and ducks often free range here and produce manure. In Central Connecticut, mid October.

Gills:
Varied anywhere from dark gray to jet black. Did not extend below cap/onto stem.

Stem:
No exact measurements, but I'm estimating between .5 and 3 inches long. Maybe .25" wide on medium-large specimens. Some had lines going up the stem, sometimes vertical, sometimes wrapping around.Typically off-white with brow here and there (naturally not from handling) but not consistent. FWIW, they were hollow.

Cap:
The smallest cap would have to be 1" in diameter with the largest maybe 2.5". This is out of roughly 100 specimen. Darkest in the middle which was a rich brown, and slightly raised above the rest of the cap. The rest was a golden/tan/light brown with a darker band around the outside. Some specimen had dark brown bands which I believe was rot. If it matters, if blades of grass were covering the cap it left visible marks on the cap below in that spot. Where blades of grasd were, the cap was lighter. Sorry for the lack of proper descriptors,the shape was typically flat with a raised surface in the middle, and tapered down to the edges.

Spore print color:
I took spore prints from 6 mushrooms, all jet black. I myself am colorblind so I had three friends confirm (in case there was purple, perhaps indicating pan foe).

Bruising:
No visible bruising.

Other information:
Typical mushroom smell. Pictures to come tomorrow.

My friend told me he was interested in actives, and noted mushrooms growing in a field at my house. This is in Central Connecticut, East of Hartford. Me being the smarter of the two of us, researched for several weeks and determined they were likely pan subbs. The first time he ate them was Friday night, about 3 days ago. He was going to have 50g fresh, but could only manage 20g, said they tasted awful. He claims to have tripped, possible placebo.

The next night I made him some tea with 30g fresh, I used orange juice as well as three tea bags; peppermint, lemon, and chamomile (tasted amazing, i had a sip and couldn't taste mushroom). He claims to have had another trip, was feeling very euphoric. Again, possibly placebo.

Now, 3 days from original ingestion, he says he has diarrhea and is wondering if it's the mushrooms. I have looked at many images of the Galerina species which is said to look like pan subbs, and after studying the habitat and overall appearance I don't see them being similar to the ones I picked. There was a patch of what seemed to be pan foes, but I ruled these different after rolling the stems between my fingers. What I thought to be pan foes typically fell apart, the cinctulus remained complete. Could he be feeling ill from the mushies? Some of the darker, possibly rotten samples I spoke of above made their way into his tea. I hope I didn't poison one of my best friends.

Edited by ctshroomhunter (10/20/14 10:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ctshroomhunter]
    #20731462 -

Pics :begger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ctshroomhunter]
    #20731924 -

Next time please post an ID request before you or your friend eat any mushrooms unless you have experience identifying wild mushrooms. If they had truly black spore prints then your friend wont die from eating them. He may however have become sick from ingesting a large amount of an inedible species, but that would likely happen before 3 days later.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ambc]
    #20732260 -

Definitely will not be happening again. I have some experience identifying table mushrooms from the wild, and thought I did enough research. Anyways, pics will be coming today, sorry about the wait. Do you think the  rot I spoke of could've gotten him sick?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ctshroomhunter]
    #20733482 -

















Sorry if the photo quality isn't the greatest, all I have to take photos with is my smartphone. I will say the gill shots are slightly misleading, they're darker than they appear. I kept them all in my hand for photos because for scale because I didn't have time to measure. Hopefully they'll help with the ID still.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ctshroomhunter]
    #20733788 -

Those are actually edible, not tasty or even recommended to eat but they won't harm you
It is a lacymeria

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: Goldberg]
    #20733792 -

Lacymeria velutina I believe (psathyrella)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: Goldberg]
    #20733830 -

That's a shame. Thought I had some actives, well at least it's not poisonous lol! Thanks for the quick help, will definitely be requesting ID's much more often now. Hmmmm...I recall seeing something that resembled a gymnopilus luteus in the woods the other day.

Other than the fact that these aren't even panaeolus species, do you think I can find pan subbs in the habitat I gave, or this late in the year?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: ctshroomhunter]
    #20733890 -

Yeah it's late in the year man, I don't see that you have any habitat information. My favorite places to find subs are horse or cattle paddocks/corrals. I don't waste my time in lawns or sod, they're a bunch of foes and the subs are most likely covered in chemicals from treating the lawn. If the lows are consistently below 50 I'd say the seasons over in your area

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: Goldberg]
    #20734218 -

Goldberg said:
Yeah it's late in the year man, I don't see that you have any habitat information. My favorite places to find subs are horse or cattle paddocks/corrals. I don't waste my time in lawns or sod, they're a bunch of foes and the subs are most likely covered in chemicals from treating the lawn. If the lows are consistently below 50 I'd say the seasons over in your area



After the maintenance of removing manure to fallow fields, the corrals are disinfected, either manually or via a flush system, in order to reduce pathogens as well as odor.  If a disinfecting flush system is not feasible due to lack of finances, a farmer will do so manually.  When such fails to regularly occur, it can be deadly to the livestock, farmers, as well as anything which may happen to grow within or near the corrals, as well as any place all may drain after rains or actually flushing.  Regardless, anything managing to grow near where those pathogens and disinfectants are present, is not something I would personally ingest, nor recommend that anyone else do so.  That is the reason calf-housing and vegetable gardens are not located within or near corrals, and instead, are typically located upwind, as well as away from where the pathogens and/or flush systems containing those disinfectants drain.  If you wish to learn what type of pathogens can be found within the corrals and around them, or where they may drain, as well as the disinfectants (chemicals) utilized to control them, you can issue a few queries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=disinfectants+for+livestock+corrals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb


--------------------
"I, Falcon91Wolvrn03, am a BIG FAT LIAR; so much so, that my pants are on fire."

Edited by Shroom Detective (10/23/14 02:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: Shroom Detective]
    #20742029 -

Sorry shroom detective shouldn't have overreacted like I did
Hunt wherever you like:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Panaeolus Cinctulus/Pan Subb ID [Re: Goldberg]
    #20786560 -

Goldberg said:
Sorry shroom detective shouldn't have overreacted like I did
Hunt wherever you like:thumbup:




I was hunting for this thread earlier today, and could not locate it.
I just now did so, discovering your post.
Again, I did not think you had overreacted at all, finding the discussion with you extremely  entertaining, instead.
I do not hunt for mushrooms, and only eat those from the grocery store, but I like hunting for mistletoe with a rifle during the first week of December, in order to make many early Christmas gifts, so thanks, and take care. :smile:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20783778


--------------------
"I, Falcon91Wolvrn03, am a BIG FAT LIAR; so much so, that my pants are on fire."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* pan subb id help needed (pics) glassman 3,119 11 06/10/03 01:55 PM
by mjshroomer
* california pan subb ID needed llamaboy 1,624 4 04/28/04 01:12 AM
by ThatDaltonGuy
* Hay Bail Pan subbs (Photos added July 5th)
( 1 2 all )
shroomydan 10,468 24 07/05/05 04:20 PM
by Hermes_br
* Pan subbs up in CNY...
( 1 2 all )
flanders53 8,281 33 05/21/03 10:28 PM
by flanders53
* UPDATE (Polo field) w/pics ~ Pan Subbs from dung pile (Pics) Peaceful_Nomad 4,255 17 08/30/04 08:55 PM
by GGreatOne234
* MJshroomer, Mr. Mushrooms - Pan Subb/Olive ID (fresh pick) flanders53 2,964 8 05/28/03 01:14 PM
by flanders53
* Pan subbs in their habitat (pics)
( 1 2 all )
nermski 13,034 27 06/08/03 07:37 PM
by Anonymous
* Pan Subbs shroomben2003 1,876 15 07/23/03 12:02 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,595 topic views. 0 members, 17 guests and 22 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.