Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
A decently safe way to dispose of contaminated jars is to fill a small bucket with 10% bleach solution, and slowly unscrew the jar lids while submerged. Try to avoid making too many large bubbles as this can defeat the purpose. After the bleach has filled the interior of the jar, let it sit for awhile [overnight is perhaps overkill, but not a bad idea]. The jar can be emptied while still submerged [messy] or removed from the bleach and emptied outdoors. The same bleach solution can be used for many, many jars. I've heard of people just microwaving their jars. . .the problem with this is that while it may kill the organisms, the allergens [the real risk with mold-contaminated jars, IMO] are still going to be around. Using even a plain bucket of water will be more effective at reducing the allergen inhalation exposure. The best way to reduce one's risk is to dispose of contaminated jars while the contamination is still small.