Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleChibboleth
Probable contams
    #1024291 - 11/05/02 02:36 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Out of my 12 jar inoculation, only two are growing a substantial amount of mycelium - the others grew a little and then stopped. I have taken the lids off briefly to have a sniff, and I now believe that the "aborted" jars are all bacterially contaminated. However, I'm not totally sure, so I thought I'd describe this to the more experienced:

The growing jars give off a very pleasant mushroomy scent. The others have a distinct odor that isn't exaclty unpleasant, and is very difficult to describe. More than anything else it smells like yeast mixed with warm water (one of the early steps in baking bread from scratch). However I'm not sure if that's a bacterial smell or merely the uninoculated brf/verm/water mixture.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
Re: Probable contams [Re: Chibboleth]
    #1024305 - 11/05/02 02:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How long have you had the jars incubating since you inoculated them?

--------------------
Blaze

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Probable contams [Re: blazenaz]
    #1024485 - 11/05/02 03:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Almost four weeks. Of the two that are growing fine, one is nearly at full colonization and the other I'm thinking of birthing on thursday or friday.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1024529 - 11/05/02 03:53 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What sterilization process did you use?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Edited by Skikid16 (11/05/02 03:54 PM)

InvisibleChibboleth
Re: Probable contams [Re: Skikid16]
    #1024552 - 11/05/02 04:02 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't have a pressure cooker, so I used a pot with a vegetable steamer for an hour. The two that are growing okay are both from the same sterlization batch, which I don't think is a coincidence. The last batch used a thicker vermiculite buffer layer than the others, and these particular two jars are the first two that I inoculated - I conjecture that the syringe picked up contams from one of the other jars and spread it to the rest.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #1024599 - 11/05/02 04:11 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What temps are you incubating in ? 86*F is optimum , anything less than 82*F will slow growth considerably .
Seems more people notice slow downs due to winter ambient temps affecting their setups , thus keep an eye on those temps and make needed adjustments .
My guess is temps , not contams .
If you opened jars completely contam is now a possibility , only crack them open to sniff , and be carefull contamed jar sniffing can get you sick . Some minor fermentation can smell as you described , but does not mean jar is contamed .
Reevaluate those incubation temps before calling it contaminated . If after 2-3 days of better temps , and no noticable growth then issolate those jars and watch for contams .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation