Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Contam Probability...
    #1421997 - 04/02/03 01:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What would you say the probability for # of contamed jars for a first timer would be? Say this a person who's going to be as clean as possible while not going eccentricly overboard, just covering his/her bases like: lysol the work area, clean tools, PC the cans, close air vents, wear clean clothes and use anti-bacterial soap and maybe some latex gloves. What would you say is the probability for contams if this person is making 12 jars of BRF + Verm mixture?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam Probability... [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1422045 - 04/02/03 01:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

kramer lost 25 out of 30 his first go round

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam Probability... [Re: george castanza]
    #1422478 - 04/02/03 07:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

shirley's first go, she did 12 half pinters, and i think ten produced fruits.

--------------------
buh

Anonymous

Re: Contam Probability... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1422583 - 04/02/03 08:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I say go with WBS and be really clean and case and you will be much happies than with cakes. Casings produce higher yielding and much more potent shrooms its the way to go.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1422612 - 04/02/03 09:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

There are to many varibles to even give you a guestimate on a first go around.

Even following the same tek, everyones circumstance differs, everyone does everything slightly differant & what one person might consider CLEAN, another would consider NOT.

Moreover, the source of the spores you start with, is a major factor. First hint is to go with a spore syringe from someone like TLG. Simply because if you start with a syringe or print from some smuck, odds are it may not be clean - itself. So, you are doomed from the start.

For speed, bulk & to minimize contam issues, my foaf seconds going with WBS (if you have a PC?).

Second hint for newbies is don't think BIG. Think small. Pints of WBS colonize quicker, small substrates colonize quicker. Small casings are easier to handle.

Get a few jars of WBS colonizing. Get a fruiting chamber togather. Refer to the FAQ here, often. All the info you need is here. Trouble is there is so much of it & you have to decide how you are going to start.

A major factor is PATIENCE, following that is tenacity. Whichever way you go? You can do it. All you have to do is TRY. Then, maybe try again & again.

But, once you get a flush, you are in like Flynn.  :wink:

6T :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Contam Probability... [Re: SixTango]
    #1422768 - 04/02/03 11:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What is WBS? I'm not familiar with that cultivating acronym.

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1422790 - 04/02/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What is WBS?  I'm not familiar with that cultivating acronym. 

:wink:
6T(aka Mycota) WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white, red millet  & milo - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $8.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
    #1422792 - 04/02/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The first 3 batches (12 jars each) that a friend did were completely unsucessful. He learned what sterility means and is having no problems now.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1422822 - 04/02/03 12:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a link with PICS of WBS TEK.

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

6T (aka Mycota)

--------------------

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Contam Probability... [Re: SixTango]
    #1422837 - 04/02/03 12:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My friend plans on doing 6 cakes and 2 casings (3 cakes per casing) so that if the casings fail the cakes may still have a chance or even vice versa. He going to be as steril as possible.

Any good things to MAKE sure to do that are ESSENTIAL and ABSOLUTE musts when sterilizing and making the substrate for cakes and casings?

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1422842 - 04/02/03 12:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What would you say the probability for # of contamed jars for a first timer would be? Say this a person who's going to be as clean as possible while not going eccentricly overboard, just covering his/her bases like: lysol the work area, clean tools, PC the cans, close air vents, wear clean clothes and use anti-bacterial soap and maybe some latex gloves. What would you say is the probability for contams if this person is making 12 jars of BRF + Verm mixture?

If you do everything by the book and don't very any the answer is none. I didn't contam any my first fuck who knows how many batches and my first casings never showed signs of contams. Wasn't till I thaught I knew what I was doing that I got sloppy and did the contam thing.

You never know all you can know when it come to growing anything.

Or that's what I hear I just take pics.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Contam Probability... [Re: Magash]
    #1423025 - 04/02/03 01:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Wasn't till I thaught I knew what I was doing that I got sloppy and did the contam thing.

LOL........... Good on ya Magash. Well spoken.......So true...... :wink:

6T (aka Mycota) 

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Contam Probability... [Re: Magash]
    #1423035 - 04/02/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

If you do everything by the book and don't very any the answer is none. I didn't contam any my first fuck who knows how many batches and my first casings never showed signs of contams. Wasn't till I thaught I knew what I was doing that I got sloppy and did the contam thing.

that was precisely what i would have said... god knows how long i went with zero contamination. in fact, very rarely do PF jars contaminate. grains and bulk substrates are an entirely different story, which is why i would recommend against the suggestion above that you forego cakes for WBS. i'm not saying don't try WBS 1st thing, just do cakes as well.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation