Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20293556 -

Leo Kottke and Nick Drake, and then of course John Fahey




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20293588 -

PS: Hendrix couldn't do this


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20293635 -

I liked the Fahey.  Not so much the Drake.  You and Peace are pretty much the only people whose links I will listen to complete

You might want to listen to this dead guy.  He lives on vinyl



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20293643 -

akira_akuma said:
PS: Hendrix couldn't do this





:grin:No he most certainly could not.  Hackett and Howe


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20293672 -

well shit, i am in the mood for a peach like that. i like country, don't listen to enough of it. this song has got some great soloing and riffs, right off the bat.

zappaisgod said:
akira_akuma said:
PS: Hendrix couldn't do this





:grin:No he most certainly could not.  Hackett and Howe



yes indeed.

they were geniuses on guitar. there is a band called Cairo that is sorta a Yes influenced band. they have the guitar and keyboards going all over the place in some longish motif.

but for now, some Norman Blake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20293722 -

Comparing a classical, acoustic, fingerstyle guitarist to an electric guitarist is not practical... there are a lot of similarities, but nonetheless, they're miles apart in technique.

Also, Hendrix's studio recordings don't reveal all of the magic of his playing.
Just watch some live videos, and you'll begin to see a whole new side of Hendrix,
particularly the 1970 Stockholm performance.

The true magic that i've found in Jimi Hendrix's music comes from the urgency of his passion and imagination that comes through his guitar playing like a freight train.
The one thing that Hendrix seemed to understand better than any other guitarists of his time was feedback.
    Half of his tone and improvisation, live, was fused with a constant warble of distorted frequencies. This was no error of a "messy" hand, but powerful, imaginative and intentional tonal range coming through the feedback of his amplifier.
He used that aspect of guitar more than any other player i've ever heard, and would get so into the moment with it that he was open for spontaneous, mind blowing improvisation. That's the major aspect of his technique that lent itself so well to his soulful and conversational guitar style.

Basically, I think the guy had figured out exactly how to pour his mind out through six strings and an amplifier.

About the whole acid head thing, yeah, he did take a lot of acid, but his ideas are also similar to insightful and spiritual thinkers. One could reach similar lines of thinking without ever dropping acid once.

I think Hendrix was great, but I also don't see a need to praise him as the best ever.
There will never be a "best ever" for a few reasons. 1. Music will always evolve. 2. 'the best' could only be decided subjectively, and 3. objectively, if one person does something, it reveals a potential that we all share.

If you wanna be the best, then be the best that you can be. Trying to always be 'better' than everyone else at guitar is just a way to put others and yourself down. The music is in the love.

btw, Akira, that last video you linked, Hackett, that is, is some seriously gorgeous music... right around 14:20 and I'm floating,

to Zappa:

another example of subjectivity is that I really don't like Roy Buchanan's style.
His playing sounds so full of rage and even hate at times, even though he was obviously quite accomplished.


Hendrix live:



listen particularly to around 1:56-2:00... I find that moment to be so inspiring, as a guitarist.

Edited by Chakra Shock (07/18/14 11:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20293737 -

and something new.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20295022 -

akira_akuma said:
PS: Hendrix couldn't do this






:facepalm::facepalm:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20296030 -

I'm really not sure what makes one guitar player better than another, other than taste, but it looks like people are just posting their favourites now?

Bert Jansch

Gary Davis

Nick Drake

Elizabeth Cotten

Edited by mr lizard (07/19/14 02:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: mr lizard]
    #20296109 -

I think a lot of Hendrix's best stuff was subtle like Little Wing (covered repeatedly) or Angel. A lot of his stuff sounded like a demo before the producer got at it, which is common in in early 3 piece bands,


--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Simulacrum
The truth which conceals that there is none

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Shroomin Capote]
    #20296727 -

IMO electric guitar is overrated period.

And this.

Yes, he laid the foundation for all future guitarists,

Not all yet he did take things and make them his own, paving the path for many to come so of course he has mass respect.


Those apprentices you mention don't even come close though imo. Hendrix played as one with his instrument expressing himself in great depth, there are players out there who are absolute speed demons and technical freaks but lack in feeling as it were , yet there are virtuoso's out there who have the technique and the feeling.

Asides from all that you cannot look at Hendrix as merely a guitar player. He was the cultural icon of the sixties.


--------------------

Edited by Withinity (07/19/14 04:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20296746 -

Withinity said:
akira_akuma said:
PS: Hendrix couldn't do this






:facepalm::facepalm:



he simply couldn't. no way he'd be able to. dude can't sight read.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20296862 -

34 Minutes listening to Steve Hakket with a few fast forwards and I find myself wondering why the hell would Hendrix want to play like that, asides from the fact that Classical guitarists have been using the same Repertoire for a while now meaning he could have granted that's what he wanted to invest his time and energy into yet he didn't.

I cant even address your comment fully because its just too much , sorry if I sound like a dick.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20296878 -

Classical guitar is all about the Sound the greatest fear is of hitting a wrong note or a bad pitch , sight reading and playing things to perfection. Where is the Rhythem in all this though :shocked: nowhere to be found.

I'm trying to express various mentality's that drive a person to play a certain instrument in a certain way. A blues player is going to come from a different situation than a classical player back in those days now not so much on account of all the information sharing and whatnot.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #20296993 -

Quote:
The true magic that i've found in Jimi Hendrix's music comes from the urgency of his passion and imagination that comes through his guitar playing like a freight train.
The one thing that Hendrix seemed to understand better than any other guitarists of his time was feedback.
    Half of his tone and improvisation, live, was fused with a constant warble of distorted frequencies. This was no error of a "messy" hand, but powerful, imaginative and intentional tonal range coming through the feedback of his amplifier.
He used that aspect of guitar more than any other player i've ever heard, and would get so into the moment with it that he was open for spontaneous, mind blowing improvisation. That's the major aspect of his technique that lent itself so well to his soulful and conversational guitar style.



I agree. Like I said before, I believe Jimi was praised for HOW he played, not so much WHAT he played. I know exactly what you're talking about with the distortion and harmonic tones he could bring out and manipulate.

Quote:
Basically, I think the guy had figured out exactly how to pour his mind out through six strings and an amplifier.



Yeah, I mean he was a good player, but we're talking about a blues-rock guitarist from the 60s. That's pretty much all he played. Blues-rock. He came from a time where that sound had been played to death. I can assure he couldn't do what he wanted.. He could in the Blues-Rock sense, but I doubt he could step into classical or jazz and jam just as hard. And let's face it.. that's what we're discussing. Weither he is worthy of being rated the way he is.

And I agree, "BEST EVER" debate is a little far fetched.

There's a reason I compared Hendrix to McLaughlin though. Those two worked together and jammed together multiple times. Yet, most people will never mention McLaughlin or don't even know about him.

Quote:
Comparing a classical, acoustic, fingerstyle guitarist to an electric guitarist is not practical... there are a lot of similarities, but nonetheless, they're miles apart in technique.



^^^^ John McLaughlin was all about this. So, it IS practical to compare.. Once again, why I would say Hendrix is overrated and people like McLaughlin are underrated. Those 3 albums I posted earlier demonstrate this. Mahavishnu Orchestra is electric guitar, Shakti and also the Al Di Meola & Paco De Lucia video demonstrate finger picking. Acoustic and Electric are different worlds of guitar, and McLaughlin mastered the fuck out of both worlds.

And I did say I think McLaughlin is the greatest LIVING guitarist (not greatest ever or anything crazy). But, I cannot think of another guitarist alive who has accomplished and inspired more. Most people probably wont dig him though, especially if you're a major Hendrix fan because McLaughlin is balls deep in Jazz almost at all times. He is a mind fucker.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Colours]
    #20297028 -

And I did say I think McLaughlin is the greatest LIVING guitarist (not greatest ever or anything crazy). But, I cannot think of another guitarist alive who has accomplished and inspired more. Most people probably wont dig him though, especially if you're a major Hendrix fan because McLaughlin is balls deep in Jazz almost at all times. He is a mind fucker.


Good post overall but Really?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #20297138 -

Chakra Shock said:
to Zappa:

another example of subjectivity is that I really don't like Roy Buchanan's style.
His playing sounds so full of rage and even hate at times, even though he was obviously quite accomplished.



I have no idea what you are talking about.  Roy was a very spiritual man.  I, however, am not and think what you said is complete bullshit.  That bit of opinion comes without any rage or hate, by the way.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20297483 -

Yep. Really.

By accomplishments, I don't mean record sales, either. Hell, Elvis would probably be the best. Maybe Lennon.. Idk?

But, if you think other wise, and know of another guitarist who is STILL ALIVE and has really accomplished as much, and inspired more people, please share.

Take this into consideration...

McLauglin has made profound statements on the following musical genres:

-Jazz (worked with so many of the greats across the various instruments in the modern jazz scene)

-Prog Rock (even compared to King Crimson and YES, Mahavishnu Orchestra is in a league of it's own. Billy Cobham on drums isn't fucking around... Hendrix and Mitchell (his drummer) never touched something like a 24/8 time signature)

-Spanish/Flamenco (worked with some of the greatest in our time, concerning spanish guitar, on multiple occasions)

-Classical Indian (I shouldnt even have to explain here... but having worked with the living legend Zakir Hussain and being labled "one of the most important music composers of our time" and L. Shankar (invented the double violin) payed tribute on one of his albums to McLaughlin.

McLaughlin worked with a wide spectrum of people, like Tony Williams and Miles Davis to Santana and Hendrix.

So he not only influenced major musicians, but the listeners of the genres. And the fact that he worked through various world music genres, he inspired the people in those parts of the world too. Both traditional and contemporary players.

Please, share though. Because I'd love to listen to them.

I mean, I know of some other reaaaaally good guitarist that are alive, but I'm not talking about just skill. More about accomplishment, and influence. Besides, McLaughlin most likely influenced those other guitarist that'd I could name..

^Just explaining why I think he's the greatest guitarist still alive.

Now, off to get ready for a show. :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Colours]
    #20297615 -

plus he probably did more acid then Jimi.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: zappaisgod]
    #20298490 -

zappaisgod said:
Chakra Shock said:
to Zappa:

another example of subjectivity is that I really don't like Roy Buchanan's style.
His playing sounds so full of rage and even hate at times, even though he was obviously quite accomplished.



I, however, think what you said is complete bullshit.  That bit of opinion comes without any rage or hate, by the way.



Hmmm.. strange response.... utterly sardonic, so it seems.

anyways, I hear a lot of sorrow and rage in Roy's guitar playing... hate may be kind of far fetched, but the others are the emotional undertones that I hear coming out of his music.
You may not hear the same things as I do in his music, but that's why I called it subjective.

I just listened to his cover of Hey Joe again, and I gotta say that it's profound guitar playing... not quite so angry as I thought, but there's quite the edge lurking deep within his tone.

Edited by Chakra Shock (07/20/14 12:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* how many guitarists we got here?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
proud_republican 11,841 150 03/01/09 11:44 PM
by tempingasashaman
* Most overrated band?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Silversoul 8,852 88 02/20/07 12:34 AM
by jewunit
* Robin Trower (or, the other Jimi Hendrix) adamj 1,355 5 06/05/07 01:01 PM
by chubbycharley
* Talented guitarists
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
SystemTool462 9,012 90 10/27/11 08:04 PM
by Cosmic VOC
* Where most of the truly talented guitarists go (a theory)
( 1 2 3 all )
ToTheSummit 7,620 47 06/20/05 08:58 PM
by HeavenlyBlue
* allan holdsworth
( 1 2 all )
yageman 2,759 24 01/01/09 10:05 PM
by yageman
* Favorite Guitarist?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
tomk 14,896 115 05/20/10 09:53 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin
* most overrated bands\artists of all time.
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 10,698 93 11/10/03 10:14 AM
by SizzlinJ

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
11,733 topic views. 0 members, 5 guests and 3 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.