Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #20299736 -

Shouldn't there be an edge in a song about a guy who shot his lover?  Here's another one about guy who shoots his lover


Then there is this, the saddest song in the world



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Colours]
    #20300415 -

I'm just going to say , I have nothing against McLauglin and I actually quite like him.


I don't totally agree with you though. I'd say he is more like a Jack of all trades rather than a master of One. Overall he is a great fucking musician and he has some top notch collaborations under his belt , you cant deny that. but how much he actually impacted, influenced and contributed to each of those Genres i'm not too sure, except in the case of Flamenco, its simply not true.

He did work with Paco who is considered a living God for doing precisely what you claim John has done,but as far as them two playing together those it didn't have much in common with Flamenco except Nylon string guitars. It was actually the other way around , Paco was stepping into their world (john and al) for the first time and playing on par with them and styles they were more familiar with such as improvisation. Flamenco though , nope.

Paco is the real Monster IMO, what he did for Flamenco before dying earlier this year was he left an entire legacy , evolving the guitar playing of a folk music incorporating various song forms album after album , constantly bringing new elements to the table steadily revolutionizing and influencing anyone that knew anything about Flamenco.

He also brought the Flamenco guitar into Classical Venues and made accepted as a solo Concert instrument where it was not before especially in Spain where Flamenco is considered somewhat of a 'blues' type of music and is traditionally played as Accompaniment for Singers also known as Cante.

He wasn't the first to play Flamenco solo, there were a few before him such as Sabicas , Nino Ricardo and Romon Montoya but he took all that to the next level and kept rolling with it until he changed the whole game.

So that's a brief summary of what Paco does for Flamenco. Then after i guess you could list all the collaborations and mention the Concierto de Aranjuez where he shows his ability too play Classical compositions on the Virtuosic level and whatnot but it doesn't really matter.





Colours said:
McLauglin has made profound statements on the following musical genres:

-Jazz (worked with so many of the greats across the various instruments in the modern jazz scene)

-Prog Rock (even compared to King Crimson and YES, Mahavishnu Orchestra is in a league of it's own. Billy Cobham on drums isn't fucking around... Hendrix and Mitchell (his drummer) never touched something like a 24/8 time signature)

-Spanish/Flamenco (worked with some of the greatest in our time, concerning spanish guitar, on multiple occasions)

-Classical Indian (I shouldnt even have to explain here... but having worked with the living legend Zakir Hussain and being labled "one of the most important music composers of our time" and L. Shankar (invented the double violin) payed tribute on one of his albums to McLaughlin.

McLaughlin worked with a wide spectrum of people, like Tony Williams and Miles Davis to Santana and Hendrix.

So he not only influenced major musicians, but the listeners of the genres. And the fact that he worked through various world music genres, he inspired the people in those parts of the world too. Both traditional and contemporary players.

Please, share though. Because I'd love to listen to them.

I mean, I know of some other reaaaaally good guitarist that are alive, but I'm not talking about just skill. More about accomplishment, and influence. Besides, McLaughlin most likely influenced those other guitarist that'd I could name..





--------------------

Edited by Withinity (07/20/14 11:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20300422 -



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20302136 -

some of my guitar heroes. man, my dream is be able to improvise like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20302399 -

Then practice, baby, practice!

Sun Ra used to tell his arkestra that rehearsal and performance were the same. The exact same.... so i'm gonna use his way of thinking and tell you that practice and once you've "made it" with your improv are the same!!! It's all the guitar, man.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #20302417 -

cool, i kinda concur with that sentiment. i always treat my practicing as performance. if i get stuck on something, i'll try it once or twice again, but if it still fails i'll move on, and try again later. it's less frustrating that way, but if i keep trying and trying i can't ever seem to get it, but when i don't think about it, bam, it's easy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20309410 -

akira_akuma said:
some of my guitar heroes. man, my dream is be able to improvise like that.



Right on man , all the best on your Journey.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20309777 -

I think if we're talking pure technical ability I'm yet to hear anyone who can get close to Guthrie Govan.
But from guitarists inspiring other musicians and leaving a legacy, I think that's probably open to interpretation and to each individual. Hendrix obviously was very influential which is why he's cited so often and pops up on the overrated lists! It's not just people nut hugging!

I'm not a big Hendrix fan myself and just have a couple of his better songs on the playlist but I can definitely see how he's admired. He was a very fine guitarist for his time, wrote and performed some really cool songs that were very out there for the time, sold a lot of records and had a very cool vibe and fashion sense going on. And dying early always helps.
We only have to look at Janis Joplin to see that!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: NickyO]
    #20311592 -

Fuck, I had written a reply but I guess I didnt post it? :confused:

Quote:
I'm just going to say , I have nothing against McLauglin and I actually quite like him.


I don't totally agree with you though. I'd say he is more like a Jack of all trades rather than a master of One. Overall he is a great fucking musician and he has some top notch collaborations under his belt , you cant deny that. but how much he actually impacted, influenced and contributed to each of those Genres i'm not too sure, except in the case of Flamenco, its simply not true.

He did work with Paco who is considered a living God for doing precisely what you claim John has done,but as far as them two playing together those it didn't have much in common with Flamenco except Nylon string guitars. It was actually the other way around , Paco was stepping into their world (john and al) for the first time and playing on par with them and styles they were more familiar with such as improvisation. Flamenco though , nope.

Paco is the real Monster IMO, what he did for Flamenco before dying earlier this year was he left an entire legacy , evolving the guitar playing of a folk music incorporating various song forms album after album , constantly bringing new elements to the table steadily revolutionizing and influencing anyone that knew anything about Flamenco.

He also brought the Flamenco guitar into Classical Venues and made accepted as a solo Concert instrument where it was not before especially in Spain where Flamenco is considered somewhat of a 'blues' type of music and is traditionally played as Accompaniment for Singers also known as Cante.

He wasn't the first to play Flamenco solo, there were a few before him such as Sabicas , Nino Ricardo and Romon Montoya but he took all that to the next level and kept rolling with it until he changed the whole game.

So that's a brief summary of what Paco does for Flamenco. Then after i guess you could list all the collaborations and mention the Concierto de Aranjuez where he shows his ability too play Classical compositions on the Virtuosic level and whatnot but it doesn't really matter.



Right on man. Thanks for the response and saying why you disagree. Not just "Whatever mann!!!!" We can learn from educational responses like that.

Anyway, I agree with what you say. Paco made a impact on the Spanish scene, more so than I even really know, and more so than McLaughlin. But, I don't understand how someone like McLaughlin can play with maestros on albums and live in concert continually, and not be considered a master him self.



Quote:
I think if we're talking pure technical ability I'm yet to hear anyone who can get close to Guthrie Govan.



When I mentioned earlier I could name better technical players before McLaughlin, and they'd probably be inspired by McLaughlin... Guthrie Govan was going to be first in that line up. I missed him when he came through town with his  band The Aristocrats. One of his older albums Erotic Cakes is so fucking good. That guy is a machine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Colours]
    #20311660 -

Colours said:
Quote:
I think if we're talking pure technical ability I'm yet to hear anyone who can get close to Guthrie Govan.



When I mentioned earlier I could name better technical players before McLaughlin, and they'd probably be inspired by McLaughlin... Guthrie Govan was going to be first in that line up. I missed him when he came through town with his  band The Aristocrats. One of his older albums Erotic Cakes is so fucking good. That guy is a machine.



Brian Patrick Carroll, more commonly known as Buckethead is also an impeccably talented guitarist, both melodically and technically. Listen to his song "I love my parents" off of Bucketheadland 1, which was only released in Japan. It's a heart touching melody.

Also, if you're looking more into Buckethead's guitar playing, check his work with the band Praxis, comprising of Buckethead, Brain ( worked with Primus ), Bootsie Collins, and Bernie ( forgot his last name ) on the keys... wonderful band.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Colours]
    #20312527 -

Guthrie Govan is the shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20313633 -

no


--------------------
"Lower that muthafuka" ~Albert Einstein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Shroomin Capote]
    #20314008 -

btw, I was referring to electric guitarists in the op.  Django, bream, Williams, paco, dyens,  and the like are insanely good and probably better at what they do than all other guitarists.  Btw, idk which live Hendrix performances were done sober and which weren't, so that may influence my opinion as I prefer live performances to judge guitarists.  Holdsworth and john McLaughlin are technically two of the best ever fa sho.  I cant really choose a fav guitarist, but I know that Hendrix and Clapton, and why not Santana too, are the most overrated of all time


--------------------
:leaf::leaf:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: NickyO]
    #20330077 -

NickyO said:
But from guitarists inspiring other musicians and leaving a legacy, I think that's probably open to interpretation and to each individual. Hendrix obviously was very influential which is why he's cited so often and pops up on the overrated lists! It's not just people nut hugging!






Not really man there have been certain people that come along into a particular field of music and up and Ante as it were. Which is not really about opinion at all , so the way music is evolving it can always be traced back and certain people have contributed more than others.

It means to this day we are still creating under there influence, even if not directly and you were just influenced by a guy who himself was influenced by that guy generations down the line, we are still in his mold so to speak until someone else comes along. Of course there is alot of stuff in-between but these guys are key points in the timeline.


Eg. Jimi Hendrix, Andres Segovia, Paco de Lucia, Black Sabbath even guys like Rakim, Cool G Rap and Big daddy Kane who brought things like Multi syllables into the world of Hip-Hip which are standard to this day.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20334121 -

Quote:
Holdsworth and john McLaughlin are technically two of the best ever fa sho



Alan Holdsworth is so damn unique. He makes some of the scariest and most beautiful songs at the same time.

Holdsworth said as a kid he wanted to play saxophone, but his dad wouldn't let him because it was too loud. When you really listen to his playing, you can tell his apporoach in many areas sound like a fucking saxophone.

Also, he owns the synth-axe (guitar synthesizer) and makes even crazier sounds with intricate and musical fashion. That dude is amazing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Withinity]
    #20334286 -

Withinity said:
we are still in his mold so to speak until someone else comes along. Of course there is alot of stuff in-between but these guys are key points in the timeline.





well, if you're being true to yourself, then you can't help but break the mold...
even if you have a similar style to a musician of the past because you heard their music, it just means that the two of you think in a similar way.

I'm sure there have been thousands of musicians completely lost to time, but somehow their musical vibrations have left great impacts on the world.. it's not just the famous people that are key.


Influence and musical lineage are important, but if you zoom out of a strictly linear perspective, it's more like every musician has a specific and unique piece of the puzzle to offer, from future to past and past to future... music being made today is of the moment, not just a product of the past.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Chakra Shock]
    #20336847 -

Hendrix is not overrated ime. Of course he's not the 'best' guitar player, but that's not what it's about.

His music has such unique and deep vibes too it plus he was always trying to expand and play stuff different.

I could rant on forever but if you don't like Hendrix, I feel sorry for you :justdontknow:

I really dig his shit :heart:


--------------------
"And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Brambolinie]
    #20337781 -

na Hendrix is cool. but i also don't mind saying he sucks ass. because he's so overrated and i really don't think he is the greatest, but he's a classic for a reason.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: akira_akuma]
    #20358915 -

akira_akuma said:
na Hendrix is cool. but i also don't mind saying he sucks ass. because he's so overrated and i really don't think he is the greatest, but he's a classic for a reason.



I was just reading an interview from '93 with Mclaughlin...

"All these influences and Jimi, of course, Jimi blew everybody’s mind, including mine. Jimi was a real revolutionary — he turned the guitar world on its head."

Hendix Experience was also revolutionary as a band. First power trio! Mitch Mitchell's style was way ahead of rock drummers at the time too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hendrix Is Overrated [Re: Viveka]
    #20358924 -

The Jimi Hendrix Experience was not the first power trio. Of the famous ones they were probably second but Cream was first.


--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Simulacrum
The truth which conceals that there is none

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* how many guitarists we got here?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
proud_republican 11,841 150 03/01/09 09:44 PM
by tempingasashaman
* Most overrated band?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Silversoul 8,852 88 02/19/07 10:34 PM
by jewunit
* Robin Trower (or, the other Jimi Hendrix) adamj 1,354 5 06/05/07 11:01 AM
by chubbycharley
* Talented guitarists
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
SystemTool462 9,011 90 10/27/11 06:04 PM
by Cosmic VOC
* Where most of the truly talented guitarists go (a theory)
( 1 2 3 all )
ToTheSummit 7,619 47 06/20/05 06:58 PM
by HeavenlyBlue
* allan holdsworth
( 1 2 all )
yageman 2,759 24 01/01/09 08:05 PM
by yageman
* Favorite Guitarist?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
tomk 14,895 115 05/20/10 07:53 PM
by Penguarky Tunguin
* most overrated bands\artists of all time.
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 10,696 93 11/10/03 08:14 AM
by SizzlinJ

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
11,732 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.