Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Most overrated band? [Re: jewunit]
    #6583213 - 02/18/07 09:22 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I kind of see both the world music and life itself as paralells. In both i see a split of logic and art. earlier i said emotion instead of art, and essentially what you said was what i actually meant, the feeling. I would say the feelings your talking about are just my definition of emotions we cant define (not falling into the catagory of anger, happiness, etc...) I think were on the same wavelength here...

Anyways, everything we wholey enjoy about life, is found in the poetic or artistic aspect of it. This explains the feelings of sensory pleasure. Chemical A makes your body feel wonderful but it doesnt make you genuinely happy does it? thats why we cant continue to pump heroin in our veins to achieve happiness. Its kind of like a really loud or quiet note, or a very dissonent or consonent chord in a song. It has to fit, or it wont really make the song any better.

Logic alone cannot give us this enjoyment at all. NONE. Art can emerge from logic for sure, but what we are enjoying is the art, not the logic. And in many ways, in the logic is the potential.

which brings me to my next point...

you said:
It would be a reflection of a society that operated basically from its animal instincts. But the whole point is that humans have a potential to be more than animals. That's what makes us human and not just animals or apes like people often say. It doesn't mean that we're inherently special, only that we have the potential to be more creative and expressive than an animal that is driven solely by its biological programming.

Thats exactly the way i think! This parallel between life and music extends to evolution as well. As we go towards more complexity, there might be more potential enjoyment. Do we humans enjoy life more than the average domesticated dog? Id say probably not actually. this is because its only potential. We have the potential, but in most cases it is too confusing to embrace the true reality of things, while a domesticated dog just has to worry about food in his dish. his joys are in very simple things such as chasing a ball across the room. And i always find myself envying that ignorance. For sure it is so much easier to have fun.

So is there a journey of enlightenment through music, or is that we are already buddhas from the beginning with music? We could be just getting more and more into the complexities of music, as the buisnessman gets deeper and deeper into the complexities of life. My belief is that i have come to enjoy music more after becoming a musician. All I have is myself to really understand though, so maybe my enjoyment of music is a counterbalance of what has gone wrong with my life or is just relative to the other joys of my life.

Thinking this way hasnt really answered any of my questions, but the unknowns seem to fall in the same exact places with music and life in general.

Does a human enjoy life more than a dog?

Does a musician enjoy music more then the normal listener?

Is evolution moving toward a certain point? Are we even "improving" where the fuck are we even headed?

Is their a cap on how great a piece of art can be? is there more  potential for more enjoyment in more complex art?

damn ive wanted to get all that off my mind for a while:stoned:

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (02/18/07 09:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
Re: Most overrated band? [Re: daytripper23]
    #6586246 - 02/19/07 05:17 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

ac/dc
rolling stones
nirvana
coldplay
u2
aerosmith

i just ran threw the thread and would agree to anyone of these plus probably lots more

howeve -- the dead, beatles, hendrix are not overrated at all. They all were some of the biggest innovaters in the business.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: Most overrated band? [Re: daytripper05]
    #6586505 - 02/19/07 06:26 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

daytripper05 said:
ac/dc
rolling stones
nirvana
coldplay
u2
aerosmith

i just ran threw the thread and would agree to anyone of these plus probably lots more

howeve -- the dead, beatles, hendrix are not overrated at all. They all were some of the biggest innovaters in the business.

i made the distinction for hendrix. he was innovator to the max, but his music, not what everyone makes it up to be. i can't stand to listen to any of his stuff, yet some people claim there will never be another like him.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
    #6587465 - 02/19/07 09:57 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Biggest ripper-offer of songs?
How so?

"Hound Dog", possibly his biggest hit, was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, performed by Bad Mama Thornton. The rights to the song were basically stolen in court because Mike Stoller couldn't remember exactly which of the lyrics he had written.

Overall Elvis ripped off the black music of the '40s, using half-plagiarized lines and music taken from prominent black performers at the time.

As I said earlier, the only reason he was popular was because he was white

Edited by Flop Johnson (02/19/07 09:58 PM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
Re: Most overrated band? [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #6587578 - 02/19/07 10:21 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

You realize in jazz and classical you play other people's music all the time. Playing someone else's songs doesn't make you bad.
Frankly, I could care less if someone writes their own music. If they do, definitely cool, but if not, they're still good preforming artists, which is what they get paid to do.

--------------------
!

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

#6587586 - 02/19/07 10:22 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
You realize in jazz and classical you play other people's music all the time. Playing someone else's songs doesn't make you bad.
Frankly, I could care less if someone writes their own music. If they do, definitely cool, but if not, they're still good preforming artists, which is what they get paid to do.

So your'e admitting he's a rip off?

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #6587618 - 02/19/07 10:30 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'm saying I don't know why people in most genres get upset when people play your song. That's ridiculous. You wrote a good song, and someone else wants to preform it, why is that bad? You shouldn't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money to play someone's song. I can go buy a Real Book and have access to tons and tons of songs, from standards to more obscure songs, and I could go play them, people would know what they are, but they wouldn't boo me for playing them.

I guess what I'm saying is so what? Why does that make him overrated? (even though I've already stated I think the idea of a band being overrated is ridiculous.)

--------------------
!

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

#6587627 - 02/19/07 10:32 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Performing another artists music with credit to their work is not a bad thing at all, most music wouldn't be around if weren't that way.

The difference is that he literally STOLE the music, got the rights to the lyrics and music taken in court. And he got away with it because they where black and he was a white.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #6587633 - 02/19/07 10:34 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Because if not he would have to pay ridiculous amounts of money in order to be able to preform it.

It's not like people didn't know he was doing that shit, they still liked him. He's a unique dude.
...Or was a unique dude I guess would be more appropriate.

--------------------
!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale