Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Time Repetition
    #1843914 - 08/23/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, lets step back from all your current beliefs about existance, religion and why were here. So maybe we can all come from the same frame of thought for a minute. I always thought De Ja Vu was just chemicals released in the brain that gave you the feeling of familiarity to your current event, but sometimes ive had De Ja Vus where i can almost tell exactly whats going to happen next, or what someone is going to say. Then it got me thinking and somehow my thinking drove off into the concept of Prophecies. Ok, so i already know some of you belive we have a 'spiritual' connection to a god that has told us about the future. But to the rest of us, how do you think Prophecies might have come about??? Could we have repeated time over and over again? Maybe an intelegent extraterestial life form grabbed on to this concept and knew how to travel through it. And warned us. Or maybe we aready lived it and are only remembering??? I read preveiously on this forum that Psycoligist say that when the brain thinks, its actually doing the same as remembering.....

Let's Brainstorm!!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Time Repetition [Re: Spokesman]
    #1843961 - 08/23/03 08:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Even if it is just brain chemicals, that doesn't make it any less significant or important. Timothy Leary calls that the sixth circuit in his Eightfold Model of Conciousness. In this mode of consiousness, life events replay themselfes in common themes called archetypes. Jung first wrote about archetypes and explained how they are like blueprints of past and future events in our brain that can come up during past or future history. This is why the I ching works and also fits in with Tarot cards. I know exactly what you are talking about, if you want some links for more information, I can give you some.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1843963 - 08/23/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

all thoughts are based on memory recall, our ability to recall certain selected data with the use of imagination. We form our thoughts, our beliefs. Depending on how much is actually inserted into our memory, who knows. How do we know when we pick up on certain things, you feel an essence, a rememberance of sorts. There is a lot we dont know. THats life though i guess.

--------------------
What?

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #1843970 - 08/23/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You're assuming time is linear.

Some of the more out-there physicists suggest that everything which can possibly happen does happen, has happened, will soon happen, is happening, and has not ever happened at all. Beneath this goofy sounding quip is the concept of the "Eternal Now".

The "Eternal Now" means to say that the past, present, and future are only concepts of our discriminiating minds. Is it really logical to suppose that only because we have memory of an event, having experienced an event, that it has concluded it's formality of occuring? Were we not only drifting by?

Perhaps Deja Vu, then, is caused by a momentary lapse in our ignorance of this actuality. Brought on by our brain chemistry, our emotions, our spirits, whatever you like; us as the most strongly abstract and aware species known to this earth would be surely prone to brief moments of causeless illumination.

A good question to ask might be: Have any of you noted an increased frequency in the instances of Deja Vu whilst undergoing an entheogenic experience, or while meditating, practicing Yoga, Tai Chi, hypnosis, astral projection?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Re: Time Repetition [Re: Ped]
    #1844073 - 08/23/03 09:31 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So Ped, if what your saying is what i think your saying, i might be dying repeatedly as i speak in a alternet time cycle that my mind rejected?? Intresting becayse ive thought about that, ive thought "what if i would have done that? or maybe i did do it but it didnt work out so my mind rejected it and is repeating the event?? All good points.

And yes i would like some links if possible. Especially if they have to do with predicting the future. Its all very intresting.

--------------------

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1844101 - 08/23/03 09:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Oh, I have no links. I pull most of my ideas out of books and National Geographic Channel, PBS, iChannel. Nova is a great show for that stuff.

There was a hint of this on Star Trek: The Next Generation, in 1995. Worf was shifting between "alternate quantum universes", which are alternate timelines that operate on a different "quantum resonance signature" than Worf's. Some shuttle accident pushed him out of his own "Quantum Universe", and Jordi's Visor triggered his "Quantum Shifts" from then on. Gradually, he was pushed farther and farther away from his own familiar universe, into parallel universes that were determined by decisions he had/hadn't made in the past. There was one Quantum Universe in which he and Troi were married, another in which they also had a son, etc.

So the idea to be extracted from this and other more legitmate theories could be that all events have infinite possible outcomes, and that each of those infinite outcomes actually does undergo the formality of actually occuring in alternate "Quantum Universes" (I love you Terrence McKenna).

For example, there could be a universe identified called "Universe 719", and another one called "Universe 720" in which I currently reside. In Universe 719 at this moment in time, I'm on a beach island resort sipping exotic drinks with my family and my girlfriend, because 24 hours earlier in Universe 719, my girlfriend spontaneously purchased a lottery ticket which was a big winner. But I'm not in that universe, I'm in Universe 720. I entered universe 720 when I said to her "no, don't buy a lottery ticket, that's a waste of money."

Now expand this idea not just to critical decisions like the one illustrated, but to every tap of the pencil, every wipe of the nose, blink of the eyes, type of the key, word mouthed, thought entertained. Each immeaurable instant of time, we could be departing universes in which bizarre and unimaginable things unfold, into the next. If this were true, then we'd have control over our own destinies, but only a very loose grip. Our own decisions would carry half the weight we think they do.

Just another one of those thoughts that came out the top of the bong.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

#1844136 - 08/23/03 10:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

So who or what do u think would decide whether you lived out Universe 719 or 720?? Why would you be stuck as the idiot that told her not to buy it and not as the guy in the beach with a rich girlfriend??

PS: Oh i was asking Droid for links, he offered some, sorry for not specifying.

--------------------

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1844636 - 08/24/03 01:52 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by Xibalba (09/30/05 02:11 AM)

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Time Repetition [Re: Xibalba]
    #1844842 - 08/24/03 04:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Who even said time exists? I don't believe in such a thing as time. It's just something humans invented so they would be at the same place everyday when the sun was in a certain position in the sky. Time cannot be created or started or stopped or anything. And suppose you went to the future, it wouldn't be the future but the present and the past would also be present if you were there so time travel is impossible because you can only travel to the present which you are currently in. =?

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: Time Repetition [Re: Tasty_Smurf_House]
    #1844931 - 08/24/03 06:17 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Spokesman.

I have remembered the future and watched it unfold before my eyes.

--------------------

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

#1845095 - 08/24/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Xibalba said:
What if this is what happens every night- you 'die' as soon as you fall asleep, and another consciousness is born in the morning with all your memories... Seems ridiculous, because you can remember going to sleep and waking up your whole life.
But those are other people's memories. Your whole life was *really* just today, and it will be exinguished forever the next time you lose consciousness.

whoa man your lucky i havent smoked my weed yet cuz if not my head would have blown up reading your statement, lol, thats pretty scary. Anyway, i saw something on TLC that has something to do with waht you stated, they were talking about teleportation and how it could be made possible by having a maching make an exact blueprint of every molecule on the object then making a "copy" at an other location while destroting the one at the current location.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1845113 - 08/24/03 11:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

A lot of times I get this feeling that what I am currently experiencing I have experienced before, although I know that I hadn't... It seems that a lot of my revoultionary thoughts that come out of nowhere always feel like I have relearned them, a lot of ideas that I "discover", it always feels like I had known them at one time and I now remembered it...

Have you ever felt a moment of timelessness? It is one of the most beautiful things you can experience, I think.. you just simply exist, and it feels like it has always been that way.. Indescribable, for sure, but I know that a lot of us experience it at times.. what do you think it would be like if you ALWAYS experienced that state of mind? Where everything is suspossed to be the way it is, and everything that happens or is thought is suspossed to happen? That it has happened before?

It seems that the only reason none of us always experience it is the fault of our own mind, and the way it is programmed... We have a lot of emotion backed demands and addictions that aren't actually necessary, but yet we always continue to carry them, and it is entirely possible for us to free our minds from them.... why don't we?

Well, some do, and I am determined to start fixing the problems and negativities in my head, they have no excuse for existing anymore, and they provide no real function. All they do is get in the way of me experiencing things from a clearer and more effective state of mind..

I mean, is there anything that annoys you, or some situation that you avoid because it causes you discomfort? Like being in certain company, or maybe some occasion that you avoid...There are just certain things that "ruin" people's experience.. like say you are hanging out with friends and some annoying kid stops by and nobody likes him..

Why does that have to ruin your fun? I mean, sure, it sucks he stopped by and all, and that everyone would prefer that he wasn't there, but what can you do about it? I mean, you could just throw him out, I susposse, but why should we have to specifically avoid certain situations? Doesn't experiencing negative emotions or feelings sort of show us a trouble spot in our programming? Something that if we fix the problem in our own head, we won't experience the negative or seperating feelings again? It isn't the world around us, but rather our reaction to it...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1845143 - 08/24/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Xibalba: "What if this is what happens every night- you 'die' as soon as you fall asleep, and another consciousness is born in the morning with all your memories... Seems ridiculous, because you can remember going to sleep and waking up your whole life.
But those are other people's memories. Your whole life was *really* just today, and it will be exinguished forever the next time you lose consciousness."
------------------------

What if your had different personalities and each alternated as they pleased  as you woke up the next day... 

You know...  Sometimes you "feel" like a different person when you wake up...  Sometimes you like yourself; sometimes you don't...  Sometimes you have more courage; other times you are more afraid...

Is it possible to have different personality traits that share the same outlet of perception?

[*Aside-  Can that have anything to do with "being possessed"?  :lipsrsealed:]

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Time Repetition [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1845149 - 08/24/03 12:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Deiymiyan said:
What if your had different personalities and each alternated as they pleased as you woke up the next day...

You know... Sometimes you "feel" like a different person when you wake up... Sometimes you like yourself; sometimes you don't... Sometimes you have more courage; other times you are more afraid...

Is it possible to have different personality traits that share the same outlet of perception?

Not different personalities, just one broad personality, with different aspects of it being focused on depending on your thoughts and surroundings..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1845172 - 08/24/03 12:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Your whole life was *really* just today, and it will be exinguished forever the next time you lose consciousness.

Now suppose the same thing is happening every instant...

This is essentially the buddhist position. I think it's a powerful idea.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Time Repetition [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1845281 - 08/24/03 01:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Rhizoid, yes.

Some of the more sophisticated Buddhists believe this to be the real meaning behind reincarnation.  Just as the universe is in constant change and flux, so then we must be.  As such, we are being constantly reborn as the self-organized, amalgamated effect of all the prior causes.  Self-organized, amalgamated effect of prior causes: sounds kind of like the universe itself, doesn't it?  Does this explain order from chaos in some cosmic, pseudomystical way?  McKenna's "Novelty Wave"?

>> Have you ever felt a moment of timelessness? It is one of the most beautiful things you can experience, I think.. you just simply exist, and it feels like it has always been that way.. Indescribable, for sure, but I know that a lot of us experience it at times.. what do you think it would be like if you ALWAYS experienced that state of mind? Where everything is suspossed to be the way it is, and everything that happens or is thought is suspossed to happen? That it has happened before?

It's not possible to say "Yes I've experienced this", but certainly I can say I've experienced something like it, or something equally divine and revealing.  Mushrooms were involved.  I think that if such a state were to be made constant, we would turn out like the guy from Office Space after his hypnotherapist had a heart attack.  A sort of confident stupor, undeterred by the potential consequences of our immediate actions.  :lol:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1845304 - 08/24/03 01:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
It's not possible to say "Yes I've experienced this", but certainly I can say I've experienced something like it, or something equally divine and revealing.  Mushrooms were involved.  I think that if such a state were to be made constant, we would turn out like the guy from Office Space after his hypnotherapist had a heart attack.  A sort of confident stupor, undeterred by the potential consequences of our immediate actions.  :lol:

I haven't seen that movie, but I disagree with that. I think it is possible to keep some sort of forward motion and rational thought while being competely uncapable of experiencing time or that experience in general. What you said is possible, too, it just depends on which way you go about it.

I once read about some Ulrich guy from Denmark (it didn't mention it, of course, but I recoginzed that he had to be related to Lars Ulrich of Metallica, who is from a Danish family of tennis pros, hehe)who was a tennis pro, but yet he was always in this kind of "tripper" mentality.. Check out the book Powers of Mind (there are a lot more good reasons to read it other than this, too) for the bit on him.

I guess you could desribe this state as something like Zen, I susposse, all though I don't know too much about Zen.
Peace. 

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here