Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics?
    #2896338 - 07/16/04 08:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Most avid buddhists proclaim that meditation will expand awareness as well as heighten intuition. These, obviously, are the reasons I use psychedelics. However, I would be interested in attaining similar results through meditation and the disciplined process of eroding mental constructs. Do you believe meditation is just as, if not more, effective as psychedelics for insight and awareness?

And, can some one recommend a book on meditation techniques? I would like something geared towards Zen, traditional Buddhism, or Taoism...

-ergot :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Remain a learner, never become a knower." - Osho

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: ergot]
    #2896359 - 07/16/04 08:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It is most commonly related in this way:

Psychedelics place you on the peak of the mountain for a period of time.. then you are forced to go all the way back down to the bottom of the mountain where you started.

Meditation is the road up the same mountain.. it will (with a lot more effort, obviously) bring you to that same mountain peak.. only this time you aren't forced back down after.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2896468 - 07/16/04 09:40 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

no buddhists would say that meditation is a form of entertainment or recreation.
the purpose of the meditation is primarily to cultivate mental habits that are conducive to the Noble 8-fold path.
the purpose of psychedellics is more exploratory, diffusely recreational, or shamanistically expansive.
occasionally meditation is expansive.
i find it makes tripping easier, but it is not a buddhist thing to regularly use entheogens.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2896501 - 07/16/04 09:55 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't consider magic mushrooms or any psychedelics to be on a parrallel to the kind of meditation we're talking about here. I understand why people would see the connection between the two what with the feeling of "enlightenment" on mushrooms, but mushrooms are definetly no kind of alternative to the "real thing" which is the life-long practice of a method. If you look at shamanic cultures who've used drugs for millenia and still practice effective psychedelic methods, you'll see that none of them speak of the pursuit of enlightenment in the sense that Eastern meditators do. The ayahuasca cults of the amazon and the mushroom or peyote cults of mexico use the substances to gain awareness in a reality wherein they can work their magic usually for healing purposes, it's not at all about climbing a mountain.

The cultures with the deepest knowledge of psychedelics don't use them for the pursuit of enlightenment, which leads me to believe that those of us who do are misleading themselves in that they'll never actually "gain" any mileage on that path through mushroom use.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2896504 - 07/16/04 09:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think meditation is a great supplement for psychedelics. On psychedelics, you can have all these revelations and enlightening experiences, but this enlightened state of mind won't last unless you practice at it. A good method of practice would be meditation.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2896542 - 07/16/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

it's not at all about climbing a mountain.

I think you misunderstood me.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2896564 - 07/16/04 10:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't care about you

I understand though

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
    #2896670 - 07/16/04 11:03 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If you want to develop awareness I urge you to read this book: http://www.realization.org/page/namedoc0/mipe/mipe_i.htm

You will never regret it.

Invisibledorkus
don't look back
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: dorkus]
    #2896678 - 07/16/04 11:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"I think meditation is a great supplement for psychedelics"

I think psychedelics are a great supplement for meditation.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: dorkus]
    #2896707 - 07/16/04 11:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

no enlightened state actually exists!
all is flux, but
there are more enlightening attitudes which can be taken and practices that support having enlightened approaches
so one can address what is happenning better (i.e. 8-fold path).

meditation is the practice of that which increases the light(ness)
psychedellics present an opportunity to test the lightness, but this is not exactly on the 8-fold path (right conduct - yes, right intoxicants -no; but it is arguable that an entheogen is more of a shamanistical test than an intoxicant).

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#2896716 - 07/16/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
I don't care about you

:sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

I'm crushed. .. :sad:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2896729 - 07/16/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Meditation and psychedelics are to avheive different ends. They have little in common. Meditation clears the mind...drugs don't. To use drugs while meditating is merely being self important as it is self defeating.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2896971 - 07/16/04 12:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Meditation and psychedelics are to avheive different ends. They have little in common. Meditation clears the mind...drugs don't. To use drugs while meditating is merely being self important as it is self defeating.

What about egoloss?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2896983 - 07/16/04 12:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The ego loss acheived from long years of adherance to Zen is more permanent in it's effect on us. The entheogenic ego loss, while often not occurring at all, is quite temporary. I have seen people bolster the ego with psychedelics. Once again while psychedelics may grant us a different perspective they are not an adjunct to meditation.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2897645 - 07/16/04 03:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the sense of no-self is not the same thing as egoloss.

ego loss itself is a misnomer or a bad description of what is really going on.

the ego is not lost in either case.

realizations about no-separation can occur from both meditation and entheogen.

meditative "ego-realization" is
1) realization of emptiness of allthings and
2) realization of no-self as per ego being an automaton like process of mind (see abhidhamma for explanation, but one must see it to know)
&
3) realization of no-separation - all one (kinda like seeing the membrane or synaesthesia but not either one of those drug joys)

entheogen ego realization is usually:
1) some dysfunction in defenses or a sense of dissociation.
2) sensory distortion to the point of no refernces capable of triggering ego responses.
3) overlays of input too heavy to permit coherence of ego responses underway.
4) insight.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2898017 - 07/16/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

good analogy.

The one i use to describe it is similar. Psychedelics take you window shopping, meditation takes you right in the store. Through regular meditation practice doors will fly open. What you see and experience no matter how profound when on psychedelics, albiet a good learning tool, is not in real time. It takes hard work to expand yourself indefinately, instead of just for a short period of time by inducing a substance.

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2898948 - 07/17/04 01:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Excellant post. Very succinct and to the point.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: Jenny]
    #2899204 - 07/17/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

meditation is an enlightening practice, and by nature has to be practiced to be enlightening.
Nothing permanent remains after any meditation per se.
Some people think it is going to make a lasting change, it makes a brief change like going uphill so you can coast down on your bike. then you go uphill again.
No thing in itself will make permanent changes, it is refered to as a path. not a treatment not a graduation ceremony.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
    #2899233 - 07/17/04 05:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

the meaning of buddhist meditation (sorry, theres many variations of meditation i was talkin about traditional buddhist)

it is what everyone said here but comes from ONE thing in particular, the rest just "comes along" when you have attained 'THIS' one thing.

and the one thing is ... to establish a connection with god, through the beginning of all things ... silence.

you renounce the self and the universe and become the supreme self through ultimate stage. when all karmic bonds are healed and cut it is attainable.

and to the person who said your forced to be unenlightened after your peak ... "a fallen branch never returns" it is only the veil you cover your perception with that makes you think, otherwise .

once you have meditated enough and realized much you will notice the "presence of god" at all times.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Edited by OOISI (07/17/04 10:11 AM)

Offlineobfuscatelesol
journeyman
    #2899517 - 07/17/04 10:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Nice posts guys.

In response to ergot, if it's increased awareness and intuition you're after, meditation will certainly help more thanpsychedelics. As far as instruction goes, I recommend "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation" by Nyanaponika Thera (it's pretty old, but amazon sells it- I like it because it uses the sutras, or discourses of Buddha, and then clarifies and expounds them). "Turning the Mind Into an Ally" by Sakyong Mipham is a great introduction, though from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective. I haven't read as much Zen works, though "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" and "Not Always So: Praticing the True Spirit of Zen" by Shunryu Suzuki are great collections of Zen talks, including many on the practice of Zazen or Shikantaza, which is the basic meditation practice of Zen.

One of my favorite meditations is Guru Yoga, which consists of mantra, visualization, and finally uniting your mind with that of your guru's, which in essence is experiencing the true nature of mind and everything (emptiness), or connecting with god as OOISI describes it. Also, mantra and visulazation alone are good, and the most basic practice of "calm abiding" meditation (which is said to be a prerequisite for all other meditations) is great, where one focuses their attention on the breath or any other inner or outer object. This is a prerequisite for other mediatations becuase it calms and focuses the mind. As per Taoist meditations, try the microcosmic orbit (do a search for it, I'm sure there's lots of info online).

While psychedelics may help one come to realizations, they also tend to obscure perception of reality and make it easy for one to trick themself. Meditation (when done properly) only leads to correct perception of truth. Check out the forums at www.e-sangha.com for lots more information, there are many knowledgeable and insightful Buddhists there and there's much information about the practices mentioned here and many more all over the internet. Good luck my friend.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2902934 - 07/18/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

2) realization of no-self as per ego being an automaton like process of mind (see abhidhamma for explanation, but one must see it to know)
&
3) realization of no-separation - all one (kinda like seeing the membrane or synaesthesia but not either one of those drug joys)

2) sensory distortion to the point of no refernces capable of triggering ego responses.
4) insight.

Your meditative "ego-realization" has properties that are all achievable by the smoking of 5-MeO-DMT...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2903128 - 07/18/04 05:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You might as well ask if eating is an alternative to sleeping.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineergot
MydriasicVisionary
Re: Is meditation an alternative to psychedelics? [Re: Swami]
    #2903138 - 07/18/04 05:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I might as well... if it was debatable. However, it is not. As people have never said sleeping produces the same results as eating or vice versa. Whereas, similarities have been drawn numerous times between psychedelics and meditation...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2903146 - 07/18/04 05:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Whereas, similarities have been drawn numerous times between psychedelics and meditation...

Really? I have never seen trails and geometric colors nor become confused or frightened or become unaware of who or where I was while meditating.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2903317 - 07/18/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ergot said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:

&

4) insight.

Your meditative "ego-realization" has properties that are all achievable by the smoking of 5-MeO-DMT...

i don't doubt that a good drug witll give a good effect, but ego realization is not the main effect of meditation.
meditation is for cultivation of awareness and attitude.
the drug won't come close to that.
a venn diagram would have some overlapp but not much.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2903329 - 07/18/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Whereas, similarities have been drawn numerous times between psychedelics and meditation...

Really? I have never seen trails and geometric colors nor become confused or frightened or become unaware of who or where I was while meditating.

an intense session of vipassana can make you quite scared.
there are things tucked away in there that will astonish you.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2903344 - 07/18/04 06:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Me neither. Maybe this is because meditation acheives a different end.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2905829 - 07/19/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

and what about seeing reality from different positions ?
There a correlations and differences. With psychedelics, you rarely get the 'clue' of meditation. With meditation you will not be 'thrown' in the world of psychedelics.
Meditation is much more control and conscious 'adjustment'.
A meditated mind can help much with psychedelics, while a psychedelized mind has less clues, more a 'need' for meditation.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies