Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Stone, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRidd
Air Exchange when Casing
    #1754599 - 07/28/03 03:02 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Hi, this is my first post on this site, as all can see ;P 

I've been doing lots of research, going through all the FAQs, various Teks, and looking through the forum.  One thing has puzzled me.  All of the teks I've seen mention nothing of bubblers, or ANY air exchange medium other than fanning the fruiting chamber 1-2 times a day.  However, browsing through various posts I see many references to air stones, bubblers, geostones (I assume an alternative medium to perlite) and the like.

I guess my question is; is the perlite/fanning tek still an effective way to keep up humidity and reduce CO2 levels?  From what I understand having TOO MUCH humidity may lead to overlay, so I'm assuming that the "people" have moved on to using automatic air-exchange setups. 

And in reference to the bubbler/geostone setup, the only post I've seen regarding this type of method is the "poor man's pod" setup.  I perused through that post, but everyone on there seems to know about this air exchange method...and I don't ;p  So any more leads to other posts would be helpful.

Sorry for the long post, and if you read it all, thanks in advance for the info :smile:   

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Air Exchange when Casing [Re: Ridd]
    #1754647 - 07/28/03 03:35 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

If you're talking about perlite humidification you're refering to growing cakes, so overlay isn't an issue (it only applies to casing.) However it is an effective means of humidifying cakes (as long as the terrarium is closed and there's enough perlite) and fanning is effective, too. You want to have as high of a humidity as you can with cakes, but not with casings (IME, you want around 75% rH for casings.) Fanning and misting for casings works fine for me. Perlite isn't for casing.

As far as really complicated air-exchange setups are concerned, however, I have no clue because I'm lazy, so someone else will have to comment about this, but here are some links to start out with:

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=1715054&Forum=All_Forums&Words=automated%20air%20exchange&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=1714046&Search=true#Post1715054

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum2&Number=1454158&Forum=All_Forums&Words=automated%20air%20exchange&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=1445650&Search=true#Post1454158

I just use tall rubbermaid bins + saran wrap, and fan + mist once a day. Too high of a humidity in a casing, IME, can lead to overlay (which Trich can get ahold of) and cobweb mould.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlinehyper_dermic
stranger withcandy

Loc: the land of excess
Re: Air Exchange when Casing [Re: Ridd]
    #1755120 - 07/28/03 06:57 AM (14 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

is the perlite/fanning tek still an effective way to keep up humidity and reduce CO2 levels

yes, quite effective

Quote:

From what I understand having TOO MUCH humidity may lead to overlay, so I'm assuming that the "people" have moved on to using automatic air-exchange setups.

too much humidity does NOT lead to overlay... overlay is caused by aggressive mycellum that completely takes over the casing surface, then hardens, forming conditions that dont easily allow pinning.
if u are doing cakes, dont worry about humitidy.. keep it at 100% if u are doing casings, then u can (if u want) lower humidity during the cropping phase (after the pins have formed), but it is NOT needed.

the reason people move on to automated setups is because we are lazy.
i dont want to fan a billion times a day, and mushys really like alot of fresh air....

[hyp]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Stone, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation