Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
LSD documentary on the sundance channel
    #1740906 - 07/23/03 01:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the most interesting part was the end where ram dass (I think... it might've been someone else) speculates that sucessfully achieving
altered states of awareness in combination with set/setting is the most important difference betwen white culture and every other culture in the world.

I've long felt this to be the case, but the way he put it was eloquent in it's simplicity (well, that could be said of the whole documentary).

the only beef I had with the show was that it focused exclusively on people with degrees, i.e. "legitimate" lsd icons, and really poo pooed tim leary for giving acid to the uneducated masses. I understand that this is how lsd must be presented to academic types, but this couteracts the theme that acid ought to be handled religiously / ritually rather than medically (which was very stongly argued for). if it's not for the doctors, why market it to them?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: LSD documentary on the sundance channel [Re: Malachi]
    #1740968 - 07/23/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I caught probably about the last half of ("Hoffman's Potion"?)

It was interesting,but it didn't really present anything I hadn't read a thousand times before. I thought it was too simple as a matter of fact.

It seemed like everybody was totally talking shit about Leary.It wasn't even just honest criticism,it seemed lot a full on assault at times. Ram Dass acted like the concept of set and setting was totally alien to westerners,like Tim hadn't tried to preach it to the masses.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: LSD documentary on the sundance channel [Re: monoamine]
    #1741012 - 07/23/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

isn't it though? sure, catholicism is heavy on setting, but what about set?

yeah, I found alot of it to be redundant, but it was really neat to see people like huxleys wife and all the old footage of lsd experiments - not to mention the hilarious facial expressions of the old guys trying not to burst out laughing. alot of the people interviewed where really smart fellows.

I didn't like the exclusion of kesey, of mckenna, the general upturned nose aspect of it all, but I understand where they're coming from. In greece they kept tripping withing "the know" and perhaps that wouldn't have been such a bad thing - thing if acid had slipped by unnoticed and wasn't scheduled today, like salvia or mushroom spores. that would be bomb. of couse, our culture would probably never have changed for the better -- well, at least not as quickly -- and think about all the good music that wouldn't have been made.

but, on the side of the show.... common, doesn't it make you sick to watch retards "trippin balls" off of shitty acid without really "making" anything out of it?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia, Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology