Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Dairy farm mushroom i.d.
    #17204754 -

Habitat:
Found growing in wood shavings (saw dust) used for bedding for show cows on dairy farm in north east indiana. The bedding certainly had some manure and urine in it but was relatively clean. These were found in the first of November twenty twelve in the first hours of night. It was misty light raining all day and I believe it was between forty and fifty degrees.
Gills:
Dark grey black dark purple depending on lighting; very dark. Gills not attached directly to stem and are numerous and closely spaced extending to the outside edge of the underside of the cap.
Stem:
2-3" in length; .25-.75" in diameter; light grey almost yellow in color; hollow; and I'd say thick
Cap:
2.5-4" in diameter; light grey almost yellow in color; fibrous tough texture; spherical and convex(I think);
Spore print color:
Dark purple or black
Bruising:
I squeezed the base of the stem and a good part of a cap and saw no blue at all.
Other information:
The mushrooms smell like the ones I have taken recreationally but I would expect this as they maybe came from a similar environment.


Edited by astnpwrd (11/12/12 01:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dairy farm mushroom i.d. [Re: astnpwrd]
    #17204765 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dairy farm mushroom i.d. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17204775 -

Thanks I was just trying to work that out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dairy farm mushroom i.d. [Re: astnpwrd] * 1
    #17204789 -

You have an Agaricus species.  It is not active but may be edible or toxic.

One way to tell if these are toxic is to smell them.  If they smell like ink then they are toxic and if they smell like anise or like store mushrooms then they are edible.  I know its weird to base the decision on whether to eat them or not on the smell, but that's how it works in this genus.

If you get it wrong you puke for a few hours but there is no need medical attention.  The ink smelling ones make you wish you were dead but won't actually kill you.

Make sure that they smell good when you cook them, the toxic ones start to smell like ink when you cook them.

Also some people are allergic to Agaricus so only eat a little bit the first time.

The color that it stains when its damaged is also significant in determining which species you have.  Bruise the flesh and check for a color change; also check again in the same place after 30 minutes to see if that color has faded or changed at all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Dairy farm mushroom i.d. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #17278843 -

Thank you sir I do appreciate your quick response! I should've checked back right after my post! All of you here at the shroomery are amazing and the info here is invaluable. From my past experience with actives in this area (I grew in the area where I found these) i always remember people saying they found actives growing in cattle pastures and just picked them. Now from reading so much more I realize that that was likely just a line to keep the suspicion of cultivation at a minimum. I've lived in rural northeast Indiana and have been on many farms and in many pastures and I have to say all I've ever seen were the type pictured and what I think were ink caps. I'll make another post as soon as I can detailing this find. Just wanted to give credit where its do and say thank you so much again Alan Rockafeller and to the entire shroomery community for having such great info and skill in the mycological world, y'all are the best.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: Rumors of field owners to kill mushrooms Anonymous 1,892 8 07/06/00 05:29 PM
by GGreatOne234
* What State and Country has Psilocybian Mushrooms?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
mjshroomer 43,344 157 06/15/02 12:37 PM
by NiGGy
* Re: Mushrooms
( 1 2 all )
GGreatOne234 7,956 32 02/10/00 01:03 PM
by Abaddon
* Hurricanes and mushrooms *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
jtseaweed 3,095 23 10/04/02 10:57 AM
by viscid
* News Clipping--Treasure Coast Mushrooms Sturn-up GGreatOne234 10,203 11 07/28/01 06:32 PM
by Anonymous
* poisonous black spored mushrooms Rashiki 4,434 1 06/06/01 08:53 PM
by Mitchnast
* A guide to wild hallucinogenic mushrooms in sweden. Scarfmeister 51,794 15 08/06/17 12:22 PM
by R3DSKY
* time for poisonous mushrooms? hippy_lettuce 1,629 6 03/14/02 07:48 AM
by mjshroomer

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
600 topic views. 1 members, 14 guests and 46 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
Calendar Event: 11/12/55
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.