Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
"My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack?
    #17061979 -

I decided not to fill the prescription after reading some horrid reviews online - permanent sexual dysfunction, hellish withdraws, and nausea. The doctor never told me about all that. In fact I am pretty pissed off at my doctor.

Today I went to the doctors office, without health insurance, and paid 70 dollars cash to see my doctor. I proceeded to meet with him and his behavior really made me sad. He asked me what was wrong and I told him I have been having social anxiety, and that I am nervous in social situations. He instantly, with out hesitating, told me that I shouldn't be a doper and go on xanax or klonopin. He then pulled out his pad and prescribed me Paxil. This all happened in 5 minutes or less.

I tried to explain to him that I was not comfortable taking a pill everyday and that I don't have anxiety every day of my life. He really didn't acknowledge my words and then started towards his exit. I then called after him, asking him about the side effects of Paxil, long term usage, and other questions I had. He gave me short answers while he stood in the doorway and then said I should look it up on the internet. He also said I should probably go on the drug for a couple years.

I felt really sad after I left the office like I was some kind of ignorant freak or just a bad person. Why would he treat me so shortly? I paid 70 damn dollars for the guy to breeze by me in 5 minutes, totally disregarding my thoughts or feelings. I then realize that maybe the doctor was just a quack asshole.:kingcrankey:


I really don't have anxiety every day and what I personally would like to do is have a small prescription of about 5-10 klonopin per month for panic attacks. Is this crazy to ask for? I was administered this kind of treatment once before and it worked wonders during college. Is  there a doctor out there who would listen to what I would like to try? I really don't want to take pills every day of my life. I don't need that many. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17062111 -

I understand his position and don't think he's a quack at all. Social anxiety is an anxiety that is nearly constant. Socialization is unavoidable. It would be irresponsible of him to prescribe an addictive drug which is only supposed to be taken 'as needed' to treat a constant problem.

My brother takes both paxil and klonopin. It's appropriate in his situation because he has general anxiety (which is mostly treated with the paxil) and severe panic attacks to the point that he had to leave college (which is treated with the klonopin.) Klonopin would be inappropriate for me because my anxiety is primarily social. I have a panic attack every once in a while, but it's very rare.

That being said, I don't think people should need prescriptions to buy these chemicals. Everyone should have the option of treating themselves and making their own decisions about what goes into their body. If I was the doctor, however, I'd be very cautious about giving out a very addictive substance for a problem which can be treated with a non-addictive substance.


--------------------

Take a look at my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Darwin23]
    #17062126 -

Quote:
I'd be very cautious about giving out a very addictive substance for a problem which can be treated with a non-addictive substance.



Paxil is extremely addictive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17062164 -

Both with cause withdrawal, but only one will push you to robbing your family blind and ruining your life.

To expand, we have family members who are completely disowned at this point. They spent years addicted to benzos in misery. The people I've known on paxil have no such experiences.


--------------------

Take a look at my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Darwin23]
    #17062643 -

Darwin23 said:
Both with cause withdrawal, but only one will push you to robbing your family blind and ruining your life.

To expand, we have family members who are completely disowned at this point. They spent years addicted to benzos in misery. The people I've known on paxil have no such experiences.




I heed your warning, and I am well versed in the matter of addiction. But I, and I know you probably won't believe me, feel as if I am able to handle 5-10 per month. I know that I can handle it because I was on them before, and I also self medicated with them once.

My question still stands. Will doctors typically work with your ideas?

And I am not exactly walking into the doctors office asking for klonopin just because I want it. I tried about 5 other medications and they all made me feel like shit. Klonopin works for my occasional attacks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17067757 -

If you really want a thorough, comprehensive diagnosis and an opportunity to discuss medication options then you need to see a psychiatrist.

From the sound of your original post, I assume you visited a general practitioner or family doctor. They are uniformly discouraged from prescribing scheduled medications such as Klonopin because their use requires careful patient monitoring. This is outside of the scope of general practice and falls neatly into the field of psychiatry.

Don't blame your doctor; you put him in an awkward position and most likely came off as a drug seeker. As a GP, however, he shouldn't really be prescribing Paxil.

If you really want to solve your problems you have to be willing to put aside your own ideas and suppositions. That said, I wouldn't begin taking a psychiatric drug that wasn't prescribed under the care of a psychiatrist. As you have mentioned, these are serious medicines that do carry certain risks.

See a proper psychiatrist and get yourself straightened out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #17067832 -

#1 Dont take the pills!!!!
You will have 10 problems for every 1 you have now once you start taking that addictive pharma drug. I have seen those phy-drugs turn my friends into deranged people. The "side-effects" are the REAL effects of the pill. Do not read the side effects and think that you will not experience them.

The only dose you need is to grow some nuts and dont be so afraid of what other think of you!!!!!  -(tuff love)


--------------------
"most people have a full measure of life, and most watch it slowly drip away. But if you can summon it all up at one time, in one place, you can accomplish something glorious."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: BMKTW2]
    #17067915 -

Speaking from my experience with Paxil, I wouldn't touch it. I was prescribed it for insomnia (?!) and it never helped. Instead, the Paxil ate a whole through my short-term memory. I'm not alone in that either.

My ex was given a larger dose of Paxil over an extended period of time and suffered from withdrawal after.

I'm probably biased, but I've never heard any good come with Paxil.

If you really want the help, see a psychiatrist as mentioned above. You need someone who will listen to you, first of all, not just write a script and treat you like an asshole.

Hell, maybe just skipping the psych docs and just getting some therapy could help. It's what I did after I got sick of them trying out every new drug on me.


--------------------
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh, you touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.


:My Collection -- Trades:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: BMKTW2]
    #17067920 -

If you find a good doctor and actually explain to them the various different drugs you have tried and why they didn't work for you and then request the one that did you might have better luck.

Back when I was taking anti-depressents I did the same thing, tried about 5 or 6 only one of which had any positive effect, when I moved and my new doctor tried to prescribe me one of the ones that didn't I just explained it to him and he gave me the prescription I wanted.


--------------------
Live Mythically


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17068352 -

Anonymous said:
I wouldn't begin taking a psychiatric drug that wasn't prescribed under the care of a psychiatrist. As you have mentioned, these are serious medicines that do carry certain risks.

See a proper psychiatrist and get yourself straightened out.



I second this. You should also look for a doctor (no matter what field or specialty) that you feel comfortable with. Someone you can talk to openly and who listens. Many doctors are just going through the motions and rarely give true individual attention. Ask all of your questions, tell them what you think is going on with you and what you feel would help. Don't be afraid to ask them why they have a made a certain diagnosis and ask them if there's any other treatment options.

I used to feel kind of intimidated and brain dead when talking to doctors and have had many doctors steam roll right over me. What was a wake up call for me was when I realized that I ask my mechanic more questions about what he's doing to my car than I did with doctors about my body and health.


--------------------
I'd like to think I'm smart enough to realize how much knowledge I don't have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Psychedelic Pupil]
    #17069172 -

Unless you are in an EXTREME break with reality, or your leg is fucking missing and still bleeding, DO NOT TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. They do not help ANYTHING except EXTREME cases.

This isnt a conspiracy. Even people taking maintenance doses of some drugs are really not doing themselves any good. LEarn to deal with your problems in a healthy manner.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Azure Essence]
    #17069199 -

id dance on the doctors car up with my golf shoes..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #17069207 -

Oh, look up the fantastic article, I think it was called something like, "How anti-depressants ruined my life" it was in an issue of Men's Health Magazine I believe.

He talks about how it took years to even get himself back to a sense of normalcy, and I think he made the decision after his girlfriend was horrified that he was more concerned about getting a picture of the 9/11 attacks then running away or even processing what had happened. All he could do was, "Oh wow! That was nuts, *snap snap*, Oh wow!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #17069784 -

I totally believe you could handle them. I'm just trying to look at it from a doctor's perspective.


--------------------

Take a look at my journal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Azure Essence]
    #17069823 -

Azure Essence said:
Unless you are in an EXTREME break with reality, or your leg is fucking missing and still bleeding, DO NOT TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. They do not help ANYTHING except EXTREME cases.

This isnt a conspiracy. Even people taking maintenance doses of some drugs are really not doing themselves any good. LEarn to deal with your problems in a healthy manner.



Sure sounds like a conspiracy from me. "Omgz don't take prescription drugs they are bad for you and ruin your life"

:rolleyes:

Sounds like you don't know how much they help people - of course there are people who get negative side effects, but that doesn't mean that happens to the majority.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Uzziel]
    #17070281 -

Uzziel said:
Azure Essence said:
Unless you are in an EXTREME break with reality, or your leg is fucking missing and still bleeding, DO NOT TAKE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. They do not help ANYTHING except EXTREME cases.

This isnt a conspiracy. Even people taking maintenance doses of some drugs are really not doing themselves any good. LEarn to deal with your problems in a healthy manner.



Sure sounds like a conspiracy from me. "Omgz don't take prescription drugs they are bad for you and ruin your life"

:rolleyes:

Sounds like you don't know how much they help people - of course there are people who get negative side effects, but that doesn't mean that happens to the majority.



It's honestly closer to 50/50 then some giant tipped scale you think it is in their favour. And not just negative side effects, some people use them for years with no real 'negative side effects' and they still shouldnt necessarily be on them

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Azure Essence]
    #17070292 -

I'd like to read statistics where you're getting your numbers 50/50.... or are you just pulling more bullshit out?

Sounds like you really just don't know, to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Uzziel]
    #17070340 -

Uzziel said:
I'd like to read statistics where you're getting your numbers 50/50.... or are you just pulling more bullshit out?

Sounds like you really just don't know, to me.



Can I get the statistics to say that everyone who's on them should be on them and the majority of people arent facing side-effects?

I'm merely looking at this from a point of view where most people shouldnt need to be on outside substances. Your viewpoint is clearly different, but the fact you're so staunchly defending some that has been proven to be an industry for profit and gain leads me to believe there's more going on here. You're on meds arent you?

And you still didnt really say anything on the fact that a large portion of people who are on them dont necessarily need to be on them.

Edited by Azure Essence (10/20/12 11:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: "My" doctor prescribed me Paxil - is he a quack? [Re: Azure Essence]
    #17073127 -

azure is right. nearly every unbiased double-blind shows relatively 60% effectiveness of drugs. it should be noted that the part of the double blind that uses placebo effect ranks in the same. about 60% effectiveness.

a happy and at least hopeful mind will do infinitely more than untested chemicals...


--------------------
i do not claim ownership of any of the information contained in my posts. what i post is a collection of information from various sources around the web, presumed to have been given freely, and so any advice is given from these various sources. as such, my posts are strictly intended for informational purposes, and are in no way there to facilitate or recommend anyone to perform any illegal activities. one should always consult the laws for ones region before engaging in any activity that may be considered illegal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* finally gathered the courage to make a doctor's appointment...
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 2,388 25 02/16/09 06:45 PM
by aDoS
* Doctors routinely bribed to push Big Pharma's latest drugs: zorbman 1,211 6 07/22/05 03:04 PM
by Phluck
* .
( 1 2 3 all )
z_x_x_z 10,677 57 03/12/05 09:46 AM
by Society
* Getting prescribed an amph Jufin 942 8 03/17/09 06:24 PM
by Mufungo
* My Doctor is Fucking Insane!!!
( 1 2 all )
Earth_Droid 5,193 20 05/26/03 01:03 AM
by matts
* be careful following your doctors advice (benzos) edit: be careful following my advice too sleepy 1,019 7 02/13/09 08:40 PM
by sleepy
* Just Got Put on Paxil CR... DannyBoy 2,620 17 09/03/03 01:05 PM
by Raadt
* depressed =( going to doctor tomorrow for help
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
swiftrance 18,320 130 10/28/05 03:09 PM
by Deviate

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: CherryBom, Asante, Rose, mndfreeze, yogabunny, feevers, CookieCrumbs, Northerner
2,368 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.