Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineVornan
Stranger
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3828316 - 02/24/05 03:51 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I would like to invite you to join a new Yahoo discussion group focused on the sexual side effects of SSRIs and antidotes to these effects.

Here is the link:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ssrisex/

In particular, it appears that for some people the sexual side effects of SSRIs do not go away immediately after quitting the drugs, and can last for considerable time afterwards  :shocked::mad2::sad:. We would like to discover the reason for this persistent sexual dysfunction and find a cure.

Best regards,

Vornan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Vornan]
    #3829213 - 02/24/05 07:08 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

MAOI antiudepressants (including SJW)

I'm pretty sure that St John's Wort is not a MAOI.

I quit Lexapro and I still experience sexual side effects. While I've had some relief from the side effects, I still am not the way I used to be. I fucking hate SSRIs with a passion.

There are numerous safe herbal treatments for a sexual dysfuction.
-Horny Goat Weed
-Peruvian Maca Root
-Deer Antler Velvet
-Yohimbe (Thought its a MAOI so you should not each foods with trymamines [sp] like chocolate and cheese adn you should not take it if you have high blood pressure)
-Ginko Biloba (for improved blood flow)

You should read up on these.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Society]
    #3829801 - 02/24/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

SJW is contraindicated with SSRI's, and I've also heard (from an emergency room Dr) that St John's wort and the Atkin's diet are contraindicated.

Seafood is good for libido because ocean inhabitants concentrate iodine in they're tissues, and iodine is the precursor TSH requires for preparing thyroid hormones.
It's also long acting too, because of the long half-life of thyroid hormones.

Paroxetine's too strong for basically anyone. But the sexual side-effects aren't a significant draw-back in the scheme of things, weight gain is, and so are movement disorders, suicidal or homicidal thoughts.

St John's wort and depression: slight efficacy at best, many drug interactions.

(1) St John's wort has been widely used for centuries as a herbal remedy. Dozens of trials, of variable quality, have examined the therapeutic value of St John's wort. Published meta-analyses show that St John's wort extracts are more effective than placebo in patients with mild and moderate depression. (2) Trials show that St John's wort is about as effective as tricyclic and serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. (3) There is insufficient evidence to determine the efficacy of St John's wort in patients with more severe depression. (4) Few, mostly minor adverse effects have been reported, but there may be a small risk of serotonin syndrome and cutaneous photosensitisation. (5) Some components of St John's wort interfere with CYP3A4, one of the main cytochrome P450 isoenzymes. CYP3A4 is involved in the metabolism of many commonly used drugs. St John's wort reduces the efficacy of several drug groups including: immunosuppressants (risk of graft rejection), oral contraceptives (risk of pregnancy), oral anticoagulants (risk of thrombosis), and HIV protease inhibitors. It can also reduce the bioavailability of digoxin. (6) In practice, St John's wort is an inappropriate treatment for severe depression. It is, however, an acceptable option for short-term management of transient depressed mood when there is no risk of drug interactions and when the patient is properly informed of this risk. (7) In short, the risk-benefit balance of St John's wort is no better than that of standard antidepressants, mainly because of the risk of drug interactions.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: bugfungii24]
    #3830348 - 02/24/05 09:37 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Actually SJW is an SSRI, and questionably has MAOI properties as well. Generally drug interactions with SJW are uncommon, and a lot of the info you posted above is questionable.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinerdnp2035
Stranger

Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Locus]
    #3830407 - 02/24/05 09:46 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I was on paxil for a while and didn't enjoy the side effects either. I switched to zoloft recently. Much more subtle..simular ups, and fewer downs. I've been sexually inactive since I started it, so I don't know how it is on that end of things, but I bet it's not as bad as paxil. SRRI's are fucking addictive..it's hard to stay off of them once you start.

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
    #3831587 - 02/25/05 02:37 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
Actually SJW is an SSRI, and questionably has MAOI properties as well. Generally drug interactions with SJW are uncommon, and a lot of the info you posted above is questionable.

St. John's wort is an SSRI? No it isn't, it likely blocks 5-HT1A receptors to some  extent but it isn't selective. Actually, it may not even block it, but I can look in to that too. But it isn't an SSRI.

As for interactions with medicines, it isn't the simple fact that mixing an MAOI with an SSRI can lead to serotonin syndrome ? it's the fact that SSRI's ALONE can lead to serotonin syndrome and using SJW willy nilly brings you one step closer. If, on top of this the patient has other undiagnosed conditions such as OCD, bi-polar disorder, tourette's  or schizophrenia which already have associated catecholamine elevations, then you can run in to problems. These aforementioned conditions may also mimic serotinin syndrome states. (which is dangerous in itself)

Also one of the reasons that SSRI's are given to young people is because young people tend to dabble in drugs

SJW is reasonably assumed to be contraindicated with any manic condition too, btw.

I've looked in to why it might be contraindicated with the Atkin's diet, and sure enough here it is:

Depression, among other non-cognitive symptoms, is common in patients with dementia. The effect of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's Wort) extract, with well-documented antidepressant activity, was tested on memory retrieval 24 h after training on a one-trial passive avoidance task in mice. Acute administration of Hypericum extract (4.0, 8.0, 12.0, and 25.0 mg/kg i.p.) before retrieval testing increased the step-down latency during the test session. The same doses of Hypericum extract, on the other hand, failed to reverse scopolamine-induced amnesia of a two-trial passive avoidance task. The involvement of serotonergic, adrenergic, and dopaminergic mechanisms in the facilitatory effect of Hypericum extract on retrieval memory was investigated. Pretreatment of the animals with serotonergic 5-HT1A receptor antagonist (-)-pindolol (0.3, 1.0, and 3.0 mg/kg), serotonergic 5-HT2A receptor blocker spiperone (0.01, 0.03, and 0.1 mg/kg), alpha adrenoceptor antagonist phentolamine (1, 5, and 10 mg/kg), beta receptor antagonist propranolol (5, 7.5, and 10 mg/kg), dopaminergic D1 receptor antagonist SCH 23390 (0.01, 0.05, and 0.1 mg/kg), and dopaminergic D2 receptor antagonist sulpiride (5, 7.5, and 10 mg/kg) revealed the involvement of adrenergic and serotonergic 5-HT1A receptors in the facilitatory effect of Hypericum extract on retrieval memory.

It's because of the fact that the Atkin's diet inherently increases dopamine and adrenal hormones, due to the fact that it lowers blood glucose levels, and St. John's wort also likely increases adrenal activity.

St John's wort-drug interactions
1.???????? TGA, TGA alert to doctors and pharmacists and complementary health practitioners. Important interactions between St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) preparations and prescriptions medicines. 2000.
2.???????? Moschella, C. and B. Jaber, Interaction between cyclosporine and Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) after organ transplantation. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2001. 38(5): p. 1105-1107.
3.???????? Karliova, M., et al., Interaction of Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) with cyclosporin A metabolism in a patient after liver transplantation. Journal of Hepatology, 2000. 33: p. 853-855.
4.???????? Mai, I., et al., Hazardous pharmacokinetic interaction of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) with the immunosuppressant cyclosporin. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2000. 38(10): p. 500-502.
5.???????? Mandelbaum, A., et al., Unexpained decrease of cyclosporin trough levels in a compliant renal transplant patient. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 2000. 15: p. 1473-1474.
6.???????? Rey, J. and G. Walter, Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) in depression: pest or blessing? Med J Aust, 1998. 169: p. 583-586.
7.???????? Turton-Weeks, S., et al., St John's wort: a hidden risk for transplant patients. Progress in Transplantation, 2001. 11(2): p. 116-120.
8.???????? Barone, G., et al., Herbal supplements: a potential for drug interactions in transplant recipients. Transplantation, 2001. 71(2): p. 239-241.
9.???????? Breidenbach, T., et al., Drug interaction of St John's wort and cyclosporin. Lancet, 2000a. 355: p. 1912.
10.?????? Breidenbach, T., et al., Profound drop of cyclosporin A whole blood trough levels caused by St John's wort (hypericum perforatum). Transplantation, 2000b. 69(10): p. 2229-30.
11.?????? Ahmed, S., N. Banner, and S. Dubrey, Low cyclosporin-A level due to Saint-John's wort in heart transplant patients. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 2001. 20(7): p. 795.
12.?????? Ruschitzka, F., et al., Acute heart transplant rejection due to Saint John's wort. Lancet, 2000. 355: p. 548-549.
13.?????? Bolley, R., et al., Tacrolimus-induced nephrotoxicity unmasked by induction of the CYP3A4 system with St John's wort. Transplantation, 2002. 73(6): p. 1009-1011.
14.?????? Piscitelli, S., et al., Indinavir concentrations and St. John's wort. Lancet, 2000. 355: p. 547-548.
15.?????? Johne, A., et al., Pharmacokinetic interaction of digoxin with an herbal extract from St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum). Clin Pharmacol Ther, 1999. 66: p. 338-345.
16.?????? Johne, A., Decreased plasma levels of amitryptyline and its metabolites on comedication with an extract from St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum). Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2002. 22(1): p. 46-54.
17.?????? Lantz, M., E. Buchalter, and V. Giambanco, St John's wort and antidepressant drug interactions in the elderly. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 1999. 12: p. 7-10.
18.?????? Spinella, M. and L. Eaton, Hypomania induced by herbal and pharmaceutical psychotropic medicines following mild traumatic brain injury. Brain Injury, 2002. 16(4): p. 359-367.
19.?????? Gordon, J., SSRIs and St John's wort: possible toxicity? Am Family Phys, 1998. 57: p. 950-953.
20.?????? Will-Shahab, L., et al., St John's wort extract (Ze 117) does not alter the kinetics of a low-dose oral contraceptive. in press.
21.?????? Schwarz, U., B. Buschel, and W. Kirch, Unwanted pregnancy on self-medication with St John's wort despite hormonal contraception. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 2003. 55: p. 112-113.
22.?????? Ernst, E., Second thoughts about the safety of St John's wort. Lancet, 1999. 354: p. 2014-2016.
23.?????? Schultz, V., Incidence and clinical relevance of the interactions and side effects of hypericum preparations. Phytomedicine., 2001. 8(2): p. 152-60.
24.?????? Maurer, A., A. Johne, and S. Bauer, Interaction of St John's wort with phenprocoumon (abstract). Eur J Clin Pharmacol, 1999. 55: p. A22.
25.?????? Yue, Q., C. Bergquist, and B. Gerden, Safety of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum). Lancet, 2000. 355: p. 576-577.
26.?????? Carson, S., et al., Inhibitory effect of methanolic souloution of St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) on cytochrome P450 3A4 activity in human liver microsomes. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 2000. [abstract].
27.?????? Obach, R., Inhibition of human cytochrome P450 enzymes by constituents of St John's wort, an herbal preparation used in the treatment of depression. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 2000. 294: p. 88-95.
28.?????? Budzinski, J.W., et al., An in vitro evaluation of human cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibition by selected commercial herbal extracts and tinctures. Phytomedicine., 2000. 7(4): p. 273-82.
29.?????? Zou, L., M. Harkey, and G. Henderson, Effects of herbal components on cDNA-expressed cytochrome P450 enzyme catalytic activity. LIfe Sciences, 2002. 71: p. 1579-89.
30.?????? Noldner, M. and S. Chatterjee, Effects of two different extracts of SJW on Cytochrome P450 activities. Pharmacopsychiatry, 2001. 34(Suppl.1): p. S108-S110.
31.?????? Ereshefsky, B. Determination of St John's wort differential metabolism at CYP2D6 and CYP3A4, using dextromethorphan probe methodology. in Poster no. 130 presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit Program. 1999. Florida.
32.?????? Gewertz, N. Determination of the differential effects of St John's wort on the CYP1A2 and NAT2 metabolic pathways using caffiene probe methodology. in Poster no. 131 presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit Program. 1999. Florida.
33.?????? Markowitz, J., Effect of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) on cytochrome P450 2D6 and 3A4 activity in healthy volunteers. Life Sci, 2000. 66(9): p. 133-139.
34.?????? Roby, C., G. Anderson, and E. Kantor, St John's wort: Effect on CYP3A4 activity. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 2000. 67: p. 451-457.
35.?????? Durr, D., et al., St John's wort induces intestinal P-glycoprotein/MDR1 and intestinal and hepatic CYP3A4. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2000. 68: p. 598-604.
36.?????? Bray, B., et al., St. John's wort extract induces CYP3A and CYP2E1 in Swiss Webster Mouse. Toxicological Sciences, 2002. 66: p. 27-33.
37.?????? Gurley, B.J., et al., Cytochrome P450 phenotypic ratios for predicting herb-drug interactions in humans. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics., 2002. 72(3): p. 276-87.
38.?????? Moore, L., et al., St. John's wort induces hepatic drug metabolism through activation of the pregnane X receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 2000. 97(13): p. 7500-7502.
39.?????? Wentworth, J., St John's wort, a herbal antidepressant, activates the steroid X receptor. J Endocrinol, 2000. 166(3): p. R11-R16.
40.?????? Hennessy, M., et al., St John's wort increases expression of P-glycoprotein: Implications for drug interactions. Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2002. 53: p. 75-82.
41.?????? Perloff, M., et al., Saint John's wort: an in vitro analysis of P-glycoprotein induction due to extended exposure. British Journal of Pharmacology, 2001. 134(8): p. 1601-1608.
42.?????? Wang, Z., et al., Effect of St John's wort on the pharmacokinetics of fexofenadine. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2002. 71(6): p. 414-420.
43.?????? Barnes, J., L. Anderson, and J. Phillipson, Herbal Medicines. 2nd Edition ed. 2002, London: Pharmaceutical Press.
44.?????? Narhsted, A. Active constituents and quality of St. John's wort preparations. in Evidence-based herbal medicines: from tradition to clinic. 2002. Herbal Medicines Research and Education Centre, University of Sydney.

Regards little Locus! :cool:

Edited by bugfungii24 (02/25/05 02:40 AM)

OfflineVornan
Stranger
    #3835634 - 02/26/05 01:21 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

When did you quit lexapro? Sometimes it just takes a very long time to normalize. Are you taking anything now?

Vornan

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3835875 - 02/26/05 05:22 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I have read differently, and that St. John's Wort has a mix of both SSRI and MAOI properties. Therefore, it's contraindictations are questionable, along with research and experience. And from the experiences of many it's side effects are usually not very common and certainly not as common as pharmaceutical antidepressants. I don't know what your deal is trying to make it look so bad.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by Locus (02/26/05 05:29 AM)

OfflineNewAgeDiciple
Follower of One

Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Ego Death]
    #3837017 - 02/26/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

danoEoboy said:
Sounds like a cure to premature ejaculation to me???

Classic example of the glass half-empty half-full phenomenon. It's these differing ideas that keep this place spinning.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Smile, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle -philo of Alexandria

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: NewAgeDiciple]
    #3837285 - 02/26/05 02:01 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

i too had the same problem with paxil. it might be cool that you can "stay in the game" for hours on end but you can tell it lowers your sex drive.. thats why i have been off paxil for years.. but now i dont have a girl so it doesnt matter

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: danlennon3]
    #3840536 - 02/27/05 08:55 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

danlennon3 said:
i too had the same problem with paxil. it might be cool that you can "stay in the game" for hours on end but you can tell it lowers your sex drive.. thats why i have been off paxil for years.. but now i dont have a girl so it doesnt matter

I lost my girlfriend because of paroxetine (I always knew she was a slut at heart, it was just a matter of time) in part. Both because of the sexual side-effects, and because I was then ear marked as a mental case. She was a young bitch, she had ignorant and immature ideas.

I went psycho after that. I remember once when I was tearing my hair out, making threats with Hit em Up as background music. (not too loud, because then she couldn't hear the threats)

Locus, yes your right it has less side effects to the usual antidepressants. :wink:

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Vornan]
    #3842786 - 02/27/05 06:05 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Vornan said:
When did you quit lexapro?  Sometimes it just takes a very long time to normalize.  Are you taking anything now?

Vornan

I quit taking it because I was tired of being in a lethargic, antisocial daze of fatigue and COMPLETE loss of sexual desire.  I started taking 900mg of St. John's Wort a few days ago...  I feel A LOT better although it's probably mainly due the the fact the SSRI withdrawal is withdrawing.  :tongue2:

Quote:

St. John's Wort has a mix of both SSRI and MAOI properties.

From what I have learned to the extent I have read, it has serotonin reuptake properties and it's controversial whether it's mildly an MAOI because it exhibits slight properties.  On the bottle it says not to take with an MAOI such as Yohimbe and Ephedra, though.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
    #3844317 - 02/27/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

...although it's probably mainly due the the fact the SSRI withdrawal is withdrawing...

I'd say so, SSRI's have an inhibitory effect on dopamine, and when they are stopped, the dopamine system becomes more active.

You aren't supposed to swap those medications so quickly, your supposed to wait 14 days. It states as much on the leaflet issued with the box.

Ill find out more about the chemical properties.

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3845588 - 02/28/05 06:20 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Yeah, it was probably a horrible idea to quit Lexapro and start taking St Johns Wort about 5 days later, but I was thinking so irrationally because of the withdrawal that it sounded like a good idea.  :rolleyes: Go figure. I just hope I don't get screwed up from this.... and I hope my sexual drive comes completely back.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
    #3847672 - 02/28/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

The sex drive will definetly come back. SSRI's are designed to have lasting effects with respect to taming obsessions and compulsions, aswell as depressive thoughts. Weight gained on SSRI's (if it is gained) takes longer to lose for this reason. (decreased "obsession" for maintaining diet and exercise)

But the libido will definetly return, whether it's tomorrow or in 15-20 days isn't important. You have to wait for orgasm to be physiologically more possible, and for the resumption of that compulsion.

It blocks the reuptake of dopamine, noradrenaline, glutamate, and GABA, GABA A and B mostly.

Also what's important is the quality of the SJW you use, it should be high in hyperforin ? if it isn't, then it's good for the rubbish.

The anti-depressant effect is dosage dependent too.

Oh yeah, SocialRejects, the great Internet is also communicating to me that it's supposed to have a calming effect, so if your aggitated/edgy, I'd probably stop taking it for a while. Careful!

You know SJW sounds alright!

Ill find out more about the dosage and the hyperforin contents and get started. (after tapering off Zoloft)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3861226 - 03/03/05 03:23 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

bugfungii24 said:

You know SJW sounds alright!

Ill find out more about the dosage and the hyperforin contents and get started. (after tapering off Zoloft)

alright now man, that sounds better  :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleJoeChip
Entropy
    #3903820 - 03/11/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 12 days ago)

I take zoloft and the sexual side effects suck; but they're nowhere near as bad as prozac was for me. The 'zac was basically 6 months of impotentcy.

I was on St. John's wort but that didn't really do anything except make me get really pissed off and angry at everything even little things. Prozac did that too. Zoloft also did that to me but then it went away.

--------------------
I am Ubik. Before the universe was, I am. I made the suns. I made the worlds. I created the lives and the places they inhabit; I move them here, I put them there. They go as I say, they do as I tell them. I am the word and my name is never spoken, the name which no one knows. I am called Ubik, but that is not my name. I am. I shall always be.

Edited by JoeChip (03/11/05 03:44 PM)

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: JoeChip]
    #3906373 - 03/12/05 09:46 AM (19 years, 11 days ago)

I've been on SJW for a few weeks now. I have no idea if it's doing anything, but I can atleast get an erection- something I couldn't do when taking SSRIs.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds