Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Just Got Put on Paxil CR...
    #1874533 - 09/02/03 03:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey guys.  I just wanted to kinda talk about some stuff and see what kinda responses/feed back/experiences I can get back.

I guess I'll tell ya the brief overview: Novemeber 3rd 2001 I tried MDMA for the first time (my first hard drug)...I liked it a little too much and so did my friends, it became our DOC.  Starting Jan. 2002 we took it every weekend until the end of March.  We all started tapering off, but when we would do it we would take 3-4 pills because the tolerance was that bad.  By New Years of 2002 I stopped my MDMA use.  I have been sober since then.  But since Nov. 2002 I have had pretty bad DAILY anxiety...I finally went to the doctor about it today...

I decided to tell him about my MDMA use...I told him I turned my life around and that I've done a lot of research on health and getting better and that I really want to get healthier.  He was really cool about it all.  He perscribed me Paxil CR 12.5mg, he gave me 3 bottles 30 pills each...I have a follow up appointment in 5-6 weeks.

I have done a lot of research (previously) on SSRI's and their side effects and have talked to people on several forums about them, so I am prepared for the worst (in theory).  It's time to feel better, the only thing that sucks is that since finding the shroomery mushrooms have been on my high interest level, I tried tripping (for the first time in a year) but my natural anxiety just made my trip turn into a bad bad experience...so unfortunately my interest in mushrooms cannot be satisfied, oh well...drugs vs mental health...gee I don't know which one wins :rolleyes:

If anyone has any experiences with Paxil CR, or SSRI's in general or typically ANYTHING, advice, comments, support or whatever I'd love to hear from you guys and talk about stuff.

Thanx for reading :smile:

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous #1

Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1875014 - 09/02/03 05:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

n/a

Anonymous #1

Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: ]
    #1875018 - 09/02/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

n/a

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: ]
    #1875101 - 09/02/03 05:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

^^^
Yeah the doctor told me about how it may cause impotency while on it. But I'm not in a relationship, nor am I THAT interested in getting one...but it's going to suck if I can't, well...you know...

I'd miss that greatly...what will I do when I'm bored!? lol, j/k (<not really)

The good thing is...I was put on a small dose at first, so it shouldn't be THAT bad, but I have read a lot of shitty comments about Paxil from some people...but Paxil and Paxil CR are different so we'll see.

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #1875172 - 09/02/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was on Paxil for two years for depression and anxiety.  I spent most of that time asleep...no joke.  I had no emotion, no feeling or anything, and it just made me overwelmingly sleepy.  I don't remember much of that time period while on Paxil because I literally slept all of the time.  I suggest that if you experience this side effect, ask to be switched to another drug because it can really ruin your life.  I missed an entire school year and barely passed the next simply because I never had enough energy to do anything and all I did was sleep.  :tongue:

Stay safe...

-ShadeGirl 

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1875358 - 09/02/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You might want to have a look at this
http://www.prisoner-of-paxil.org/

How is Paxil CR different from Paxil?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: zeta]
    #1875562 - 09/02/03 08:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

dude, get off that shit and find a new doctor.

Paxil is terrible. Its one of the most cutrate antidepressants there is. It causes emotional detachment, erctile dysfunction, sleeping problems, decreased appetite, and worst of all, it really doesnt work. Not only that, but you can develop a serious dependance to it if you are on it long enough. I bet if you stop taking it right now you will have to suffer through at least a day of flu-like withdrawl... I did.

Was the doctor you went to a psychiatrist or a General Practitioner? Because Psychiatrists dont often prescribe this stuff unless maybe you have a direct relative with positive experiences... It is an old, obsolete drug. It predates Prozac, even. There's massive stockpiles of it and the only reason it still gets prescibed is so they can get rid of it. A better antidepressant/antianxiety drug would be Welbutrin or Zoloft.

But you may not even need antidepressants at all. Maybe you just need a good multivitamin. Most depression and anxiety is caused by serotonin or other neurotransmitter imbalance. These imbalances (especially when caused by temporary conditions, like MDMA usage) tend to work themselves out if you give your body the right ingredients to make the neurotransmitters its lacking.

Depressed or anxious people should try taking a daily regimen of 5HTP and SAMe, in combination with a good multivitamin, for about six months before resorting to SSRI's.

I seriously cant believe your doctor put you on a long term prescription for a problem caused by temporary conditions. That really pisses me off. Antidepressants should really only be considered if the patient's family has a documented genetic proclivity towards intrinsic neurotransmitter imbalance, and even then, only if every other avenue has failed.

I am a psychology major currently working on a degree in neuroscience, BTW. I garauntee my education is more recent and drug use friendly than your doctor's.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1875569 - 09/02/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

oh yeah...

and PaxilCR is only different from regular Paxil in that they put it in a special binding that is supposed to only release a little at a time, in order to make the drug last longer and be more subtle in its effects.

CR= Controlled Release

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1875748 - 09/02/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well I can't speak professionally like DoctorJ,, but I do have some personal experience I can relay... I was taking paxil for about 6 months.. It helped me get through my bad times.. But I really didn't like the way it made me feel,, " all anxious and just not me". Then I was prescribed celexa.. citalopram hydrobromide... I've been taking that for about 2 years on and off.. every time I think I'm ready to stop I do. And I feel great for a few weeks but then it starts to return..

Anyway back to Paxil.. don't drink alcohol with it.. "I know you shouldn't drink alcohol with any of these medications". I was drinking when taking paxil and it made me manic.. and I couldn't sit and enjoy my own company..you know, I always had to be around people and I thought I was on top of the world. I'm sober,, "havn't drank in over 1 year", in my experience this is the best thing to help with depression... I feel better physically and mentally. I don't know if your still drinking but that is a major depressant... Good luck Dannyboy... Whatever you decide I just hope you feel better!!!!!!!

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: nofind_um]
    #1875986 - 09/02/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was on paxil... That shit just fucks your brain up. DONT DO IT!!

Take 5-HTP instead.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1876233 - 09/02/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

It causes emotional detachment, erctile dysfunction, sleeping problems, decreased appetite, and worst of all, it really doesnt work. Not only that, but you can develop a serious dependance to it if you are on it long enough. I bet if you stop taking it right now you will have to suffer through at least a day of flu-like withdrawl... I did.

This could be said for all the antidepressants. Paxil can cause withdrawwal,but withdrawal does not nesessarily mean dependence.Paxil is not addictive.
It may be overprescribed,but it does work for some people.

Quote:

It is an old, obsolete drug. It predates Prozac, even. There's massive stockpiles of it and the only reason it still gets prescibed is so they can get rid of it. A better antidepressant/antianxiety drug would be Welbutrin or Zoloft.

Paxil isn't that old.The patent is only from '94,I believe. Prozac,Zoloft, and Luvox predate Paxil. Actually the first SSRI was citalopram (Celexa in the U.S.),and it's ironically the most selective,but it hasn't been marketed in the states until a few years ago.

Quote:

But you may not even need antidepressants at all. Maybe you just need a good multivitamin. Most depression and anxiety is caused by serotonin or other neurotransmitter imbalance. These imbalances (especially when caused by temporary conditions, like MDMA usage) tend to work themselves out if you give your body the right ingredients to make the neurotransmitters its lacking.

I agree,people shouldn't rush to taking antidepressants,but lack of chemicals in the brain is too simplistic to explain something as complex as depression.

If the original poster believes prior ecstasy use is causing him problems,he should definately quit using. Some of the "permenant" damage caused may just be long term changes in neurotransmitter systems that will naturally correct themselves over time. Many "e-tarded" people are probably just intoxicated all the time or recovering from said intoxication all the time.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: monoamine]
    #1876387 - 09/03/03 01:09 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

If the original poster believes prior ecstasy use is causing him problems,he should definately quit using. Some of the "permenant" damage caused may just be long term changes in neurotransmitter systems that will naturally correct themselves over time. Many "e-tarded" people are probably just intoxicated all the time or recovering from said intoxication all the time.

I have quit my ecstasy use for quit some time now. It's obvious if I want my anxiety to get better I shou;d stop all drug use including alcohol, caffiene and lots of sugar...which I have already done. I have also started running twice or three times a week for exercise.

I haven't started taking the Paxil CR, I JUST got in scripted to me today and I won't start taking it until Thursday. I'm going to give it a shot for 2 reasons...

#1 My doctor started me on a low dose (12.5mg)
#2 It's worth it to see if I am one of the % it actually helps
#3 If I am uncomfortable with it's effects I can always switch to another SSRI

The only bad thing about switching, it the $$ it costs to get pills, and I don't have insurance right now, so it could become rather expensive. But I have been going through this anxiety for 10 months, and I hate every day I feel it. I've taken 5-HTP before but it really really screwed with my stomach and didn't make me feel much better (I took it for 2 months).

I have read a lot about Paxil CR and I have heard a good amount of positives, a large amount of "ok" experiences, and a hand full of negative experiences. It almost even's itself out.

Like my Parents and I discussed...if it is unpleasant and starts effecting my life enough then I'll talk to my doctor about other avenues which I can take. I thought Beta Blockers would be a great idea, and my doctor agreed but unfortunately I was just diagnosed with Intermediate Asthma and you cannot take Beta Blockers when you have respiratory issues. I'm just a barrel of problems lately, lol.

Well...keep the comments, experiences, and knowledge comming, I'm appreciating ALL of your imput, whether it be good, bad etc. Thank you very much.

--------------------

OfflineFractals
Humble Newguy
Loc: Texas!
    #1876945 - 09/03/03 08:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was on Paxil briefly as a teenager.. it didnt do shit for me but make me hyperactive.. I would take it at 7:30 in the morning and by 9 i was bouncing off the walls. and not in a good way. Anyways.. i beat depression with a HEALTHY (3 years 5 times a week) excercise regiment.. excercise really does help in my opinion..

Anonymous #1

Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: Fractals]
    #1876980 - 09/03/03 09:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I just quit paxil....it didn't make me impotent but orgasms were very hard to have(especially at first..it was near impossible)....I also found it made me feel burned out all the time.....and if your a tripper your gonna need at least double the amount you normally would(most likely).....it also has withdrawl when you quit....I personally think its shit but maybe it helps some ppl

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: Fractals]
    #1877032 - 09/03/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, exercise does help occasionally. It gets those endorphins flowing.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #1877303 - 09/03/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ahh, anxiety, my old friend  :smirk:

I went to my doctor for the much the same reason, because I was having a fairly steady level of anxiety throughout the day.

First I was prescribed Celexa at 20mg a day. I stopped after two weeks. Physically Celexa made me feel very lethargic, yet wide awake. I couldn't sleep properly...but I was too tired to do anything. I could feel it doing something in my head, and the feeling was a little disconcerting. It helped my anxiety a little after the first week, but it made me really edgy at the same time.

Next I was given Paxil at 10mg a day to start. I only ever took one of these. Within hours I had the edgyness that I had gotten from Celexa x 1000. I ended up freaking out on my room mate. Normally I'm a VERY non-angry guy. I can count the number of fights I've been in on one hand. I would never take Paxil again. I've heard it's the worst of the bunch.

Last I was prescribed Effexor XR at 37.5mg a day to start. Effexor isn't really an SSRI, it's a SNRI (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor). This was the one that worked, and it did work well. The physical side effects were not bad at all. I had a shitload of energy, slightly similar to Ritalin in feel. It made my pupils HUGE about 5 or 6 hours after my dose in the morning, it seriously looked like I was on a lot of mushrooms or something. I also had a rather mushroom-like "buzz". Mentally it really did feel like a low-dose mushroom trip. I could feel it working away in my head, just like the SSRI's, but Effexor felt normal in a strange way. My anxiety melted away within the first week, but came back after I had adjusted to the 37.5mg dose (which is a LOW dose, but I seem to be sensitive to these type of drugs). After three weeks I went up to 75mg a day. I stayed on that dose for three more weeks before deciding to quit. To this day my anxiety has been low enough to not worry about at all.

I would advise you to make sure you really need medication before you embark on the SSRI "experiment" game. If you do need medication, you have to accept the fact that you are in for a BUMPY ride, and some bumps may be MUCH worse than if you take no medication at all. I think it was worth it, now that I'm on this side of the game. But I wouldn't willingly take SSRI's again unless I was in some SERIOUS need.

It may be that I realized my anxiety wasn't so bad compared to the ups and downs of SSRI treatment  :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Just Got Put on Paxil CR... [Re: trendal]
    #1877413 - 09/03/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I had nearly the exact same experience, except I went

Paxil, Effexor, Prozac...

Prozac was the most mild and helpful of the bunch.. I stopped it after 3 weeks due to hating all the bullshit. Was just too tired of it. Smoke more weed now, and i seem to have reached baseline. I hardly ever have panic attacks anymore.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1877462 - 09/03/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

For the record, the difference is neglegible - it was just a quick/easy way to restore their patent. As lexapro, compared to celexa is.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds