Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! and my experience with antidepressants [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3770426 - 02/12/05 09:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am completely empathetic to all of you that have had or have sexual and/or other adverse side effects that come from taking antidepressants. I've probably tried more antidepressants than anyone here, or most people anywhere for that matter. I've gotten fucking every side effect in the book from antidepressants. Not even one didn't give me side effects. Sexually, like many of you, I couldn't even get a hard on most times. I'd try forever and couldn't come even if i did get it semi-hard. Anyway, the point is I know how you guys feel.

The thing is.. with me.. and a lot of other people out there that have problems concerning the need for antidepressants that truly do not have any other option, or people near this area of necessity.. have a big problem. Otherwise, they'll manage.

----My Experience in Brief----

With myself, my primary use of antidepressants are very different than most. Although, some people do use it for this as well, as antidepressants are prescribed for a lot of things. But the cause of my primary problem is unknown. I have many major problems that antidepressants cover along with that primary problem also, but most of the time despite how bad they are, they are usually manageable... unlike the primary. I can tell you what these particular things are and go into detail in another post if anyone is interested.

All of this is a very difficult subject for me as well though. I've been through hell when I was not on antidepressants ...and then I was in a different hell when I went on antidepressants ...and then again I went off them and went through my previous hell again with some differences, not good ones..

At this time it's been a few years since I was on an antidepressant, except for a few very short trials in this time that don't really count in comparison to my "antidepressant era".
Anyway, I'm still in fucking hell... I've been suicidal for many years now. I'm also young and have a long life ahead of me ...so I need a solution, you know? But there isn't one... The only relief out of the endless things I did try for that primary problem (which was just about every thing possible along with every doctor possible for years...) that actually worked was one high dose mix of two particular kinds of antidepressants along with the worst side effects of all and the longest duration on them. .(All the rest that I tried did not fix the primary problem)... So I'm still stuck at a standstill in my life. I don't know what to do and I haven't for years now.

Woah.. I didn't mean to make that drift into my own experience and troubles. I'm surprised I even got that out considering how much I hate this. I'll just split where I go into my own troubles with a mark. Anyway, I think it'd be nice if some of you could read my own part of this, I'd appreciate it I suppose, even though none of you can help me.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Sexual side effects suck! and my experience with antidepressants [Re: Locus]
    #3770468 - 02/12/05 09:34 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It's great to hear your honesty. I'm almost completely off Lexapro (which was my SSRI giving me crap side effects), and my drive is coming back. When I was taking 15-20mg of this medicine, there was no WAY that I could obtain an erection. On top of this eminent flaw in an drug that I was hoping would help arouse my interest in females once again, I was even more miserable than before.

So how's the drive cumin' for you, drgonz?

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Society]
    #3772998 - 02/13/05 02:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! and my experience with antidepressants [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3777306 - 02/14/05 03:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I was actually thinking of trying St. Johns Wart soon as well drgonz. I'm fucking sick of living this way.. and although antidepressants may not work for my greatest problem - Physical Pain.. (because only that one mix worked for that... and caused dramatically horrid side effects of all sorts to cause just as much pain as i had before) it may help with my depression, ocd, anxiety, and so on..... I'm really hoping for the pain to be helped though. I'm not getting into details though so I won't bore you guys, hehe. Plus, it's difficult to talk about.

Anyway, so yeah, I think in a few weeks I'm going to start on St. John's Wart. I've done a lot of research on that and there has been more and more research being done that asseverates it's high quality of effectiveness, to work just as sufficiently as many of the pharmaceutical antidepressants out there. And with much less side effects.

And hey, if any of you guys ever want to talk to me about your troubles with antidepressants or anything correlated, I'm always here for ya.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Re: Sexual side effects suck! and my experience with antidepressants [Re: Locus]
    #3777508 - 02/14/05 05:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If I become extremely depressed/miserable when I'm off Lexapro completely, I'll probably give St. John's Wort a try. There's a crapload of research that's been done on it, it has almost complete absence of side effects (!), it's been around for ages of empires, et cetera. I recall that my mother used a smalled dose in the past and said it was somewhat efective. The only apparent, proven side effect is photosensitiviy, and the only way to have a negative reaction os apparently to take 30x the regular dose or have already existing issues with photosensitivity.. SJW is even being researched as an anti-inflamatory agent and for treating athritis.

Tru7h...

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Society]
    #3782753 - 02/15/05 09:33 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3785016 - 02/15/05 06:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks. It's good to know you're by my side drgonz :smile:
I'll let you know when I start St. John's Wart as well. And again, best of luck! Do keep me updated also :smile:

And the same to S.R. as well.

--------------------

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Locus]
    #3790164 - 02/16/05 04:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Go on to a weaker SSRI like Zoloft or maybe try to reduce the dose to 10mg for the Paxil first if you really like that drug.

Forget the psych, they'll just tell you what the manual says.

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: bugfungii24]
    #3792056 - 02/17/05 06:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: dr_gonz]
    #3793086 - 02/17/05 11:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey buddy, you know there was just a new study done that said st johns wort is just as good as paxil. the study was specifically paxil vs s.j.w. and s.j.w. came up on top actually by a good deal i believe. and with basically no side effects (which is pretty well known anyway).

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3793749 - 02/17/05 02:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Go on to a weaker SSRI like Zoloft or maybe try to reduce the dose to 10mg for the Paxil first if you really like that drug.

Is Zoloft really a weaker SSRI? If it is, then I'm pretty sure it's compensated for with higher doses. With Lexapro, average doses usually are 10-20mg, but with Zoloft average doses seem to be around 60+mg. (If my memory is correct. [I have at least two friends in my area on Zoloft.])

There seems to be a lot of varying research on SJW; most seems to support SJW as being a herbal remedy that's comparable to the antidepressant effectiveness of an SSRI without the side effects. In my Internet research, I've found that the only real issue with St. John's Wort is that it can increase photosensitivty. This side effect, however, only seems to effect people with already apparent issues with light and such as it's been shown that in order to have an adverse reaction, one must take AT LEAST 30x the regular daily dose.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: Locus]
    #3794984 - 02/17/05 07:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3797224 - 02/18/05 04:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I had a better article on this, but the link to it isn't working right now. So I found another article with same basic gist of it anyhow... http://www.hbcprotocols.com/sjw-news1.html

Eh, I'm barely getting by man. But I'm hopeful about trying St. John's Wort soon... it'd be really cool if it helped me out. I certainly hope it works for you also. How are you doin?

--------------------

Offlinechrism
Stranger
Loc: Barrow
    #3797529 - 02/18/05 08:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

drgonz said:
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some personal opinions. I've been on Paxil for over 2 years now, at 20mg daily. I just can't deal with the sexual side effects anymore, which in turn depresses me (ironic?)

This guy had a similar problem:

http://www.rxlist.com/rxboard/celexa.pl?read=2508

Any advice?

Paxil sucks. I was miserable as soon as the side effects kicked in. I stopped taking it after a week or two. Told the doctor " I'd rather have sex" He suggested St. John's Wort and I have never looked back. Been taking it for five years now.

Do some research first regarding dosage, interactions, etc.. The herb must be standardized and will take at least 6 weeks to begin to work.

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Society]
    #3797567 - 02/18/05 08:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The dosage is usually between 50mg and 150mg, it's much easier to control the dosage. You could be right about the relative strengths, but I distinctly remember reading that paroxetine has the highest affinity to the receptor site. I also haven't looked in to the relative toxicities of the SSRI's, you? :smile:

I've read those reports that SJW is comparable to popular antidepressants too, however in practice is doesn't work I found-especially for anxiety.

Your lucky if you get better at all. Many of the people who get better in several monthes or weeks I believe had little wrong with them to begin with... and it was more true to say that they were going through "a phase". For those people SJW is probably appropriate.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: bugfungii24]
    #3799440 - 02/18/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

different antidepressants work differently for each and every person. your experience doesn't stand for everyone elses. look at the post above yours..

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3801009 - 02/18/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It is unfortunate, though, when people get prescribed a medicine because of phase they are going through. The first time I got Lexapro was because of a teenage phase, and now I'm permanetly skrewed up.

I'm currently in hopes that the end of this SSRI withdrawal will bring mental clarity and energy.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sexual side effects suck! -I want to come off Paxil [Re: Society]
    #3802597 - 02/19/05 04:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

May I ask in what way do you now have permanent damage?

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

#3802776 - 02/19/05 08:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wish I could explain it, but there are things SERIOUSLY mentally wrong with me, and NONE of these exist before I took Lexapro the first time. Once I quit cold turkey that first time years ago,... barfgh just read the topic I posted of my screaming in frustration.

I really can't blame usage of a drug 100% for my problems, though.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinebugfungii24
Stranger
    #3803891 - 02/19/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
different antidepressants work differently for each and every person. your experience doesn't stand for everyone elses. look at the post above yours..

That's true. However, all MAOI antiudepressants (including SJW) have many potentially dangerous interactions.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom