Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Are hippies enlightened? * 1
    #1691650 - 07/06/03 11:35 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Who is more a slave to the system that is crushing mankind's soul and exstinguishing life on earth?

The guy who works a satisfying 40-hour a week job supporting the system but focusing on things in life other than his stupid job and the system .

or

The guy who has dreadlocks and lives as a wandering hippy who doesn't directly support the system but depends on its handouts (spare change, welfare maybe) and spends a lot of time thinking and talking about the evil system and everytime he looks at someone working thinks "that dude's soul is being crushed!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Dogomush] * 1
    #1691700 - 07/06/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

As far as being a slave, it's the guy who works 40 hours a week supporting the system that's more a slave. He is pretty much helpless to break free because his life depends on his paycheck, whilst the hippy is pretty much free because his life depends on luck, (or God, whichever you prefer)... The hippy just takes things as they come, focused only on the present, while the working man is constantly worrying about the future; bills to pay, moving up the social chain, how much the hookers are going to cost, cocaine expenses, etc etc...
The ideal hippy doesn't worry about these things. He doesn't know the meaning of the word. :wink: 

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleArmFromTheAbyss
Old Hand

Loc: Down here in Babylon
    #1691745 - 07/07/03 12:04 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

They're both slaves until they actually oppose the system.

But the hippie in question has a start because he's not participating in the system. However, the system still survives without him therefore he still lives in this world, i.e. slavery.

--------------------

Edited by ArmFromTheAbyss1 (07/07/03 12:05 AM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Adamist] * 1
    #1691776 - 07/07/03 12:17 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

they seem to operate co dependantly. one class created by the other. had this working class never developed out of the industrial revolution... you think there would be knowledge filled "free guys" walking on the street? naturally not, they would be starving and most likely under educated. But now with an advance in certain social systems, there can be hippies. tthey can still get fed by the programs that the working slave pay's for through taxes. So while the people who try and making progress in one area, have to have taxes taken out. Now you can get into all the class distinctions you want, and your wars or whatever. My point is, now there are so many different people there are virtually no bounds on who you can or can't "be". before it relied strictly on certain fundamental principles, class and wealth.. which were then mostly like peas and carrots. But some say you can buy class with wealth... but whatever.

Because i operate on or within the system doesnt necessarily mean that i dont make my efforts to a better world. Its all about how well you can use what you know. survival eh? well see where that goes.

--------------------
What?

OfflineLCid
Close ToInsanity.
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Zero7a1] * 1
    #1691832 - 07/07/03 12:51 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

depends which family of hippies hehe

in the end were all enlightened

OfflineLostMetropolis
A Stranger AmongStrangers

Loc: In The Machine
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: LCid] * 1
    #1692454 - 07/07/03 07:27 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

"But some say you can buy class with wealth... but whatever. "

Hmm, I guess those "some" haven't seen the Anna Nicole Smith show yet.

--------------------
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Anonymous

#1692513 - 07/07/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i'm convinced that the term "hippie" comes from the word "hypocrite".

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: LostMetropolis] * 1
    #1692541 - 07/07/03 08:33 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well... One way of looking at it is they are both slaves to their minds.

The hippy is stuck where he is... He probably can never change his lifestyle because if he did than he would feel like he is "crushing his soul"...    Then again he probably does feel alot less shackled than any employee with bills.

The 40-hour worker is very much stuck where he is.  His standard of living is etched in stone and he will never be able to escape it.  Adamist described it well enough :smile:

Are hippies enlightened?

I think they have just found a very comfortable place.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: LCid] * 1
    #1692660 - 07/07/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the test for hippies woukld be if they keep on living wandering around since many are forced to settle down when they have kids.
but in western society it is impossible to be free.this qoute says it best. "god is dead"

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: LostMetropolis] * 1
    #1692687 - 07/07/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

ah crap. im sorry that was a typo cant*. the saying goes.... you cant by class with wealth. it has to be earned...

--------------------
What?

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Zero7a1] * 1
    #1692759 - 07/07/03 10:48 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yes but the hippy spends all his time thinking about how the system is fucked. System this, system that. G8 is destroying the world, WTO is evil, we must stop the madness. The fucking system is logging down the forest.

To be a hippy who is against the system you have to constantly remind yourself why you dropped out of the system. Or at least, the hippy in this case does. So the hippy can't help but live relative to the system. The worker doesn't spend all his time thinking about his job, he just works and then he goes and plays, whereas the hippy's mind is occupied with nothing but the system and how much he hates it.

This makes him a slave as well.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #1692836 - 07/07/03 11:26 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

There's some really broad generlizations going on in this thread.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Cherk] * 1
    #1692846 - 07/07/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

>>There's some really broad generlizations going on in this thread.

That's why I'm staying out of this one.  :wink:

Love & Light,

Boppity

Offlinecrazycanadian
Stranger

Loc: infront of a monitor
    #1692848 - 07/07/03 11:29 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

enlightened

adj 1: highly educated; having extensive information or understanding; "an enlightened public"; "knowing instructors"; "a knowledgeable critic"; "a knowledgeable audience" [syn: knowing, knowledgeable, learned, lettered, well-educated, well-read] 2: having knowledge and spiritual insight; [ant: unenlightened] 3: freed from illusion [syn: disillusioned] 4: having or based on relevant experience; "an educated guess"; "an enlightened electorate" [syn: educated] n : people who been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity; "it is very familiar to the initiate" [syn: initiate] [ant: uninitiate]

I think that both can be enlightened. Enlightenment does not have anything to do with slavery or being part of the system. Read the definition above. The Hippie could be the same as the person who works for 40 hours a week but they decided that they did not want to be apart of the system. But the system does not have anything to do with being enlightened. Both or neither could be enlightened. And either one could be more than the other.

But i see what your trying to get at and my responce to that would be the hippie.

OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: crazycanadian] * 1
    #1693165 - 07/07/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the master waving his hand " this illusion " stunning his latest student into enlightenment.

after his enlightenment the student composed this verse:

liken this life illusory
for your sand castle will one day join the wind

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: ViBrAnT] * 1
    #1693358 - 07/07/03 02:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

the hippie is a slave to his own warped mind, because the so-called "system" that he has dreamed up does not exist in the way he thinks it exists.

-the stereotypical hippie negates reality in order to justify his pointless actions. He thinks "man, fuck the economy" not even knowing what the "economy" truely is. He believes that all life can be sustained by his form of hippie love, when in actuality, if it wasnt for the "economy" he would be fucked because he is such a lazy idiot. If the hippy was forced to actually work for his food, (hunting, farming) he would probably end up doing what is doing now, living on the fringes of society and stealing someone elses hard-earned food when he gets the chance.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Boppity604] * 1
    #1693393 - 07/07/03 02:30 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I believe all stereotypes are enlightened. They live on a higher plane consisting of pure ideas, untainted by the imperfections of physical existance. :kiss:

OfflineRANKSRAGGY68
Scooby SnacksIndeed!!

Loc: Texas
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Rhizoid] * 1
    #1693514 - 07/07/03 03:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You could figure out a way to have a passive income that pays all your bills and leaves you lots of time to play. Gumball machines dude. Where do you think all those quarters go? Does someone have to stand there and take the quarters? No. They end up somewhere, usually in a businessmans pockets. Meanwhile he uses the money to build an off the grid dwelling consisting of a series of 10X10 seperate little houses, Solar energy, and well water somewhere in Durango, Colorado. Not only is he a member of the system, but he also has a foot in being out of the system and can persue his own interests. Trust fund kids do this a lot as well. Mmmmmm, trust fund. So, stereotyping the 40hour man and the, call a spade a spade, BUM is not the way to go here. There are ways to have both feet in either "system." Any other ideas besides gumball machines?

-RR68

--------------------
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #1693740 - 07/07/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Neither are automatically "enlightened".

In my opinion, "hippies" lead a life more likely to lead to "enlightenment".

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineBetMomIsProud
Journeyman ofMycology
Loc: MI
Re: Are hippies enlightened? [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #1693778 - 07/07/03 04:40 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Never forget that there are several types of hippies. I'm a forestry major who is forced into classes with Applied Ecologists (read: hippies) that HATE the fact that I'm learning how to "destroy the forest" as one of them put it. I've had hippies tell me that the world would be better off without people like me who see no harm in cutting down a tree. Now my question is this: How can someone who holds that much hate in their heart and mind truly be free of anything? The system's slavery is nothing compared to the shackels that some "hippies" put on themselves. True enlightenment cannot, in my mind, be achieved through a belief system founded on hatred.

--------------------
Nothing is idiot proof. Just need a real talented idiot.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order