Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Hippy Quote
    #4814974 -

Quote:
"I completely merged into the universe. I could tell that all that existed was a reflection of myself. That everything was a product of my own thought and was a part of me. I existed with everything. Everything was a product of my conciousness. It was as though my ego completely dissolved." -A hippy I know, describing his mushroom trip.




My theory is that much of psychedelic culture is about being a self absorbed, self aggrandizing asshole. Doing "good" in completely symbolic and essentially useless ways with no real purpose other than to boost your self esteem, all the while talking about ego loss and self actualization at the same time.

As though listening to Phish instead of top 40 and forming a drum circle in front of trade conventions will have any effect on anything at all.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4814996 -

heh, thats their thing i suppose. and what you just said does not describe most of the hippies i know. im sure there are some as you described, and maybe even the majority of them....hell, i dont know. while their drum circles and symbolic ways of doing good may be useless, are they really causing any harm? well aside from their poor hygiene......some hippies really know how to clear a room :smirk:


--------------------
how's your WOW?





  Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4815010 -

Well, they might be, in a way. While they might seem like opposing parts of culture, the hippies of the 60s are the marketing agents, "cool hunters", and voters of today. They're the adults that pushed for parental advisory stickers on albums. The people who are constantly talking about their generation changed the world in the 60s as though getting high and having sex at a rock concert made them Martin Luther King.

Everything the western world is today is a direct result of the hippy generation.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (10/17/05 05:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815017 -

everything the western world is today is a direct result of the hippy generation....

that may be true but did you ever look at it this way?


they grew up.


--------------------
how's your WOW?





  Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: wrestler_az]
    #4815022 -

Yeah, that's the point though. They grew up... and got WORSE.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815032 -

well, when you grow up you can reverse all the shit they made worse


--------------------
how's your WOW?





  Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815082 -

the hippies have been pretty strong pushers in the environmental and other social fields and had a very big impact in these issues.
I agree on the part that lot of talk goes on without too much action but that doesnt tend to be true for also a lot of the people who would be considered "hippies".
And sometimes they can just lose it, too many drugz :smile:


--------------------
Just let everything flow, just flow right to the center of everything. You gotta turn off your mind and relax, and then just float downstream...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815133 -

Hippies, just want to replace the system, with another system..

it's hilarious, and no wonder they die(d) of.. :P


--------------------


--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: BanJankri]
    #4815276 -

What has the push for environmentalism really accomplished?

Recycling?
http://www.ecoworld.org/Home/Articles2.cfm?TID=340

What impact has really been made by hippies towards environmentalism?

I would certainly agree that we're facing a huge array of environmental problems, but I think that the environmental movement is seriously flawed. If you ask most self proclaimed environmentalists, they can't even give you a half decent explanation of what global warming is.

It seems to me that the people who have made actual achievments in environmentalism are the scientists who are able to explain certain dangers with authority.

It seems that the hippies involved rarely have feasible or useful ideas about how to deal with the environment. Picketing Shell, complaining about SUVs, and riding a bicycle to work is all well and good... but does it actually DO anything?


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815279 -

Yes. They are what Greenpeace is in the world of NGOs.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815324 -

Phluck said:
If you ask most self proclaimed environmentalists, they can't even give you a half decent explanation of what global warming is.



So true. I once spend a full hour talking with someone on the street promoting Greenpeace. It came down to me explaining him almost everything about global warming, ozone layer, biomass-energy, hydrogen-energy, nuclear energy, oil production and more things he didn't know anything about.

Our discussion started with the energy problem. I asked what his solution was and he said hydrogen-energy, I asked him how to produce the hydrogen. He explained to me that hydrogen is in water and we have oceans full with water so that was no problem  :shocked: :crazy:. Most 'environmentalists' I talked with have no idea what the problems are and don't have any solutions to the problems.

The spokesman of a Greenpeace like organization even signed for a ban on  Dihydrogen Monoxide in a Penn & Teller episode  :grin: :shocked:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815928 -

Phluck said:
My theory is that much of *humanity is about being a self absorbed, self aggrandizing asshole.



That's more like it. It has nothing to do with what subculture you belong to.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Silversoul]
    #4815948 -

While I agree to a certain extent, I think that the hippy subculture (and maybe even the subculture culture) is built around believing that you're special, a rebel who's more in touch than everyone else, and is fighting the good fight. Regardless of whether or not you're actually doing anything.

There are other parts of culture filled with greedy bastards who at the very least don't have pretentions of being world saviours.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4815957 -

Phluck said:
While I agree to a certain extent, I think that the hippy subculture (and maybe even the subculture culture) is built around believing that you're special, a rebel who's more in touch than everyone else, and is fighting the good fight. Regardless of whether or not you're actually doing anything.



The same can be said of Christianity.

Quote:
There are other parts of culture filled with greedy bastards who at the very least don't have pretentions of being world saviours.



I think I actually prefer the pseudo-saviors.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Silversoul]
    #4816024 -

Christians say that Jesus saves people. If they thought they were as awesome as Jesus, that'd be blasphemy.

The generations before the boomers weren't nearly as self absorbed. Today's hyper individualism; hippy culture, self help, entire industries built around marketing and businesses where EVERYONE feels entitled to be at the top, all products of the boomer ME generation.

Quote:
I think I actually prefer the pseudo-saviors.



No offense, but I had libertarians in mind when I wrote that, but then I remembered that most of them also think that they'd be saving the world as well opening things up for anything goes business.


--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4816053 -

Phluck said:
Christians say that Jesus saves people. If they thought they were as awesome as Jesus, that'd be blasphemy.

The generations before the boomers weren't nearly as self absorbed. Today's hyper individualism; hippy culture, self help, entire industries built around marketing and businesses where EVERYONE feels entitled to be at the top, all products of the boomer ME generation.



I think you're largely confusing optimism and naivete for self-absorption. Hippies really think they're changing the world because they sincerely want to believe it can be changed.

Quote:
No offense, but I had libertarians in mind when I wrote that, but then I remembered that most of them also think that they'd be saving the world as well opening things up for anything goes business.



Why would I be offended? I'm not libertarian(not in the purist sense anyway).


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Silversoul]
    #4816460 -

Paradigm said:
Phluck said:
My theory is that much of *humanity is about being a self absorbed, self aggrandizing asshole.



That's more like it.  It has nothing to do with what subculture you belong to.



The majority of people I have met are neither self-absorbed nor assholes. :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4816489 -

MushmanTheManic said:
Paradigm said:
Phluck said:
My theory is that much of *humanity is about being a self absorbed, self aggrandizing asshole.



That's more like it.  It has nothing to do with what subculture you belong to.



The majority of people I have met are neither self-absorbed nor assholes. :confused:



The same goes for the majority of hippies I have met.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: Phluck]
    #4816512 -

I have a very negative view of kids who go around calling themselves 'hippies' nowadays. It seems regressive. 'Hippie" is a forty year old concept. A concept that failed and doesn't seem to have provided any positive results.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hippy Quote [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4816832 -

No hippies = no Shroomery.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* A widespread subculture : Euphoriacs and their euphoriants. Psiloman 1,080 10 06/10/05 02:58 AM
by Psiloman
* Are hippies enlightened?
( 1 2 3 all )
Dogomush 6,234 49 11/04/03 05:46 AM
by Anonymous
* The first modern Hippie! Swami 1,143 19 11/27/02 01:48 PM
by GoBlue!
* Terence McKenna quote from "Food Of The Gods"
( 1 2 all )
LearyfanS 1,772 24 11/27/02 01:40 PM
by spud
* your favorite quotes?
( 1 2 all )
JhadAgainstReality 4,301 36 08/12/03 04:25 PM
by Malachi
* :) Battle of The Cool Quotes!!! :)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
MentalHygene 5,196 61 04/01/02 08:13 AM
by ZiggyStardust
* Best Quotes ever:
( 1 2 all )
Cow Shit Collector 2,918 31 06/19/02 06:45 PM
by Swami
* Quotes from the council of nine...
( 1 2 all )
RonoS 3,961 29 12/10/01 01:18 PM
by Prellgott

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,626 topic views. 1 members, 2 guests and 12 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.