Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Easy to make Inoculation hood
    #1627128 - 06/11/03 08:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just a few tips on how to make your own little glove box. I prefer this one to a wooden one because it's a bit easier to ensure proper disinfection on the inside. Alot of this is open-ended to allow the user alot of leeway in the construction. This is a general text on making a cheap hood.

The hood constructed of a Rubbermaid container and a clear plastic sheet fulfills the purpose of a hood in that all surfaces are able to be sprayed with chemical agents and a seal that prevents air exchange is possible.

First, the decision must be made as to whether or not the box is to be cut. The size needs to allow the person doing the inoculations to have their hands in the box and be in a position that is comfortable enough (while providing a view of the contents) to stand in for extended periods of time.

Second, the box must have a lid designed for this purpose. Clear plastic sheeting is ideal for this due to transparency and ability to be disinfected. The sheet is cut with 4? overhand on each side. It is fitted on and then secured with duct tape or (ideally) a large rubber band. The rubber band allows for easy removal and re-usage.

The position of the hand-holes is entirely up to you and the ideal specifications are different from person to person. You want them so your hands can move enough to deal with 10 separate jars. This entails removing the aluminum foil, peeling back the tape, injecting the proper amount of spores and sealing the jar back up. Experimentation will give you the ideal configuration. I recommend that you make the holes as small as possible, just big enough that your gloved hands can fit through there and not snag or tear your gloves. Everything you will be loading in will be loaded from the top.

Next, all of the components are thoroughly disinfected. We clean the Rubbermaid first. Mix a bleach/water solution at a 1:9 ratio. Spray this on the inside and out side of the Rubbermaid container and wash vigorously with a clean cloth. Rinse with warm water, then fill inside of Rubbermaid ? with bleach/water solution. Allow this to sit for 3-4 hours, scrubbing the inside thoroughly every hour or so. Rinse again with hot water. Wash both sides of the plastic sheet with the solution as well two to three times. Rinse with hot water. Using the strongest concentration of isopropyl alcohol available, mist the inside of the container and the side of the plastic sheet that will be down when it is in place. Before the isopropyl alcohol dries, secure the clear sheet in place. The alcohol will continue to dry.

I recommend taking the hood apart and cleaning it again every time you have a batch of inoculations to do. Loading from the top is ideal. Get everything together that you need. One syringe, 10 jars, a bottle of IPA, some paper towels soaked in ISA, a bottle of Lysol, all of these items and whatever else you personally might desire are gathered up and wiped down with IPA. Wipe EVERYTHING down, the outside of the syringe, the needle protector, the bottles of chemicals. The jars should be OK if they are taken directly out of the pressure cooker or if they were stored in a relatively clean location. With everything gathered, remove the lid and load and position everything. It is best to decide (or even ?dry run?) before hand where every item should be placed to avoid fumbling or unnecessary movement. After all items are loaded, the lid is placed back on and sealed.

Spray your gloves with a 91+% IPA mixture until the surface is moist and insert into box. A few squirts of Lysol directed upwards towards the lid will condense in a few moments ensuring that any new air let in while loading is disinfected. When the Lysol has condensed, remove the needle cover and wipe down with a IPA saturated paper towel.

Note: Sometimes when wearing gloves it becomes difficult to pull the tape back on the lids. If this is the case, a pair of needle nosed pliers (NEW!) or tweezers can be pressure cooker sterilized or soaked in an IPA bath and brought into the hood to assist.

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Easy to make Inoculation hood [Re: lysergic]
    #1627838 - 06/12/03 02:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ic.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Easy to make Inoculation hood [Re: Anno]
    #1629493 - 06/12/03 07:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's turned out to be very effective. If you desire, you can make the openings large enough to fit the jars in and insert them in the hand holes.
Anno - Any thoughts?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflineAmanita_Dreamer
Rotting HumanCorpse

Loc: The 666th Plane of HELL
    #1629912 - 06/12/03 10:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Good job......i'll have to make one sounds cool

--------------------

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Easy to make Inoculation hood [Re: Amanita_Dreamer]
    #1631199 - 06/13/03 01:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

IT definatly works. You can even get some garbage bags and tape a single-ply of them over the handholes, cut a small cross in them, and force your hands through. This provides a decent barrier around the hand places. Of course, you want to mist the 'in' side of the trashbag before you put it on.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1642619 - 06/18/03 05:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've been thinking about this. if you made, where the hand holes are, a large hole for loading and unloading the chamber, it would be a smaller hole than removing the plastic off of the top. Also, using tyvek, after loading, to seal the open area in the container would work well too.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1645525 - 06/19/03 06:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Another tip, if you get some large water bottles, fill 2/3 with water, freeze, and put in the hood (after wiping with IPA!), it really cools the tmps and condenses everything.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1651684 - 06/21/03 07:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Another recommendation...
when you do your casings, do it in the hood. That way you can be sure that that procedure is done with sterility as well.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
    #1690735 - 07/06/03 07:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Do people just stick the jars in the iconulation hood then and let them sit there?

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Easy to make Inoculation hood [Re: factory81]
    #1691341 - 07/06/03 11:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No, you do your inoculations in the hood, then transfer them, when they are all done, into an incubation chamber.

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Offlinefactory81
enthusiast

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ibiza, Spain
    #1691613 - 07/07/03 01:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know but I could just keep my cakes in that hood as they colonize, then take them from there once there done so that it remains in a sterile air enviroment. Ive had some bad contam luck, using steam steralization. Ive had a like 30-35% contam rate. So im going to be using this new hood to decrease contams in the colonizing stage.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Easy to make Inoculation hood [Re: factory81]
    #1703260 - 07/10/03 05:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, I can almost guarantee it'll work. I'd recommend doing the inoc's in the hood then ransfering them to another STERILE container so you can inoc more jars

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation