Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell * 6
    #74390 - 02/14/00 01:07 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: funkyballoon]
    #74391 - 02/14/00 01:26 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Cool!

I'm gonna give that one a try :smile:

The Lizard,

--------------------

InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: funkyballoon]
    #74392 - 02/14/00 01:59 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

damn, that's awsome, funky. how well does it work for you? i'm gonna have to try that. you need to come around more often. first SOS, now this. you're gonna have to register to become an official mad scientist :wink:

Link

------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created...
This made a lot of people angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
    #74393 - 02/14/00 04:45 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Something I forgot to mention: It is a very good idea to inoculate the culture jar without removing the tape from the holes. Just stick the needle right through, then get another peice of tape ready to seal the puncture wound.

So far it has worked perfectly for me. Fabulous colonization rates, MASSIVE pinhead formation.

OfflinePanTrop
enthusiast
Loc: Washington
    #74394 - 02/14/00 06:02 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

ohhhhhhhh, YEA now thats COOL! Right on Funky! I will have to try that one!!!!

--------------------
" My mind dont work if my spine dont jerk!"

Offlinelestat
    #74395 - 02/14/00 07:47 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

hey, funky b.
cool tek! would there be any problem using a blender instead? i got like no coffee grinder, man.

peace

Anonymous

#74396 - 02/15/00 10:43 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Sterile Tissue Cloning Procedure

1. Create a past of brown rice flour and water (or your choice of
substrate), spread evenly in the bottom of a canning jar, seal,
pressure cook at 15 psi for 30 minutes.
2. Pour about 1/3 cup of 3% h2o2 into a jar.
3. Obtain a clean coffee grinder; fill with water to the brim of
the metal cup, insert a fresh and cleaned mushroom stem
(no cap) and proceed to grind for 10-15 seconds.
4. Use a clean spoon to transfer some of the resulting mixture into
the h2o2 jar.
5. Let it fizzle for a couple minutes, then draw into a syringe.
6. Inoculate jar created in step#1, or simply inoculate pf-style
jars.

Tips if Culture Contaminates

1. Extract a piece of healthy mycelium.
2. Cut mycelium into tiny pieces with razor blade.
3. Transfer pieces to a small pool of h2o2 and then suck into
a syringe.
4. Inoculate another culture jar with it.

Anonymous

#74397 - 02/14/00 11:35 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

um, you ... rock (if I try this and it works, explitives will be added)

I'm guessing by the way, that organic rye flour/quinoa/etc. could be used as a substitute, I'll try and post my results.

-peace

Anonymous

#74398 - 02/14/00 11:53 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

um, you ... rock (if I try this and it works, explitives will be added)

BTW, for those of us that are anal, what is the amount of BRF/water to use for one 1/2 pt. jar?

-peace[/B][/QUOTE]

Anonymous

#74399 - 02/15/00 04:08 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Yo LINK,

I think this one deserves the growing archives....

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

#74400 - 02/15/00 09:28 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Overall a fantastic Mad Scientific idea!!! I bow to you on this one... but uhh, why not fill coffee grinder to rim with H2O2 not H2O and save a step?

Another idea would be to use this to immedatly transfer to a liquid media like honey water or malt solution... again.. WOW!!!

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited February 15, 2000).]

InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
    #74401 - 02/15/00 12:11 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

hey Burple, good idea, i'll see what ythan and aphex have to say

Link

------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created...
This made a lot of people angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Offlinecamel
old hand

#74402 - 02/15/00 03:24 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I PERSONALLY would much rather do agar than anything else. It is sooooo incredibly easy, you do not even know til you try it.

peace
camel

--------------------
Don't do drugs.

Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
    #74403 - 02/15/00 04:53 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

ThE JafF,

I would have skipped that step, but on my Western Family bottle of h2o2 it says that it should not be shaken. Doesn't give a reason, but I just assumed they know what they're talking about.

Anonymous

#74404 - 02/16/00 10:30 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I believe that is just becasue of how unstable peroxide is.. That is why you are supposed to store it in a cool place, that is why it is in a brown bottle, etc..

A whole lot of it, maybe most of it will be destroyed as the mushroom comes in contact with it. The way you do it, there is a lot larger peroxide/shroom ratio... So your way is probably a better way to do it after all..

I will say that I just did my first experiments with honey water.. Whoever came up with this deserves an applause... I got growth in just under 24 hours in 4 out of 6 jars (Rye flour/Vermiculite).. I am sure the other 2 are not far behind.

From 1 squirt (1 cc) of spore water I am sure one could innoculate 100 jars just by waiting 10 days for the honeywater to grow (from spores)..

I also reinoculated some more honey jars, and of course I have growth there as well.. Damn this is quick easy and cheap.. The real test is to wait a week and make sure nothing contaminates, but I have faith..

If it works well, I think that the combination of your technique and the honey will greatly improve yeild. Isolated strains perform sOOOOooooo much better.

So guess who's tek I will be trying next?

ThE JafF

[This message has been edited by ThE JafF (edited February 16, 2000).]

Offlinefunkyballoon
Pooh-Bah
    #74405 - 02/16/00 01:23 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Honey jars.... that's something I haven't heard of. Let me guess - honey + water? I'm assuming the ratio is 4/96 by weight, correct?

Anonymous

#74406 - 02/16/00 08:03 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well its actually much easier to measure.

1/2 teaspoon per 250ml water... I just cook it up in 1/2 pints with the lids the right way, not inverted, and a hole for the syringe. I cover with foil while cooking, remove to inoculate, and immediatly cover with electrical tape. Works fantastic so far. I will keep everyone updated.. The important thing seems to be not to overcook the honeywater, or you will carmalize it.. So try pressure cooking for 20 min, that seems to work well.

ThE JafF

Anonymous

#74407 - 02/15/00 10:31 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, it's the next morning and all jars show growth...Did another 6 jars as well. This is fast...

Also I have no idea what I was talking about before. You could still use peroxide in the coffee grinder and then transfer a spoon or two of this to more peroxide.. No reason to introduce any more contamination than necessary.

ThE JafF

OfflineNCubensis
 User Gallery
    #74408 - 03/30/00 09:55 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Bump. So, anybody have success with this h202 tek?

Anonymous

#74409 - 03/31/00 10:12 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I tried it and it worked for in all the jars, with ZERO contamination.... I am trying it again with
7 quarts of chantarells, 7q shitake, 7q crimini... Will report in a few days...

ThE JafF

Anonymous

#74410 - 03/30/00 11:37 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds cool.

I got my eye out for a good method to go from spore print to liquid mycellium (honey or malt). This supposedly could be used to innoculate honey/malt mixture from mushroom tissue?

What would you do different if you had a spore syringe, just scrape some spores into the h202 jar?

thanks.

Anonymous

#74411 - 03/31/00 08:12 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

DJCarcass

There are 3 major things you need to know about H2O2:

1. It gets broken down by mushroom/mycelial tissue when the cell walls are breached
2. Most growth medium also breaks it down unless heat treated.
3. It kills spores!

So if you put it in contact with spore prints or spore water then you will just kill the spores.

IMHO the recent enthusiasm about it's use in shroom growing is mostly from people who have not actually tried to use it. It has severe limitations.

I have developed a method which uses it at every stage, including in the actual growth medium. This virtually eliminates all contamination and means that you can colonise your substrate in the same trays that you fruit in. You have to use pressure cooked grain (wheat or rye) to prevent the H202 being degraded or you can use Weetabix (spun, whole grain pillows) as this is unreactive.

Having got it to work I have returned to using straight-forward agar in a ?5.00 home-made glovebox. It works out far simpler and quicker.

Rush Wayne's book on the subject has some methods which look promising for wood loving shrooms. It uses compressed-paper fuel pellets. He also have a recipe for H2O2 agar which is excellent for cloning.

Rad

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #74412 - 03/31/00 05:31 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

The JafF said
"I will say that I just did my first experiments with honey water.. Whoever came up with this deserves an applause..."

that would be cluB99.

peace
hip

------------------
Visit http://www.drooldonkey.org Global Psychedelic Community, Chat, Forums.

[This message has been edited by Hippie3 (edited April 11, 2000).]

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #74413 - 04/02/00 12:50 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Funkyballoon sounds great!
Just a couple of quick questions.

What do you do with the rice/water mixture after the mycelum grows?

Thanks.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#74415 - 04/02/00 09:38 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Where can I get H2O2 easily? How much does it cost?

------------------
Away!

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #74416 - 04/02/00 09:43 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. You can buy it at the grocery store. It is not very expensive.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Anonymous

#74417 - 04/03/00 07:32 AM (23 years, 11 months ago)

Ohhh. Sorry I didn't know.

------------------
Away!

OfflineDan
    #74418 - 04/04/00 08:54 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

So this tek would be called: agar tek without the agar? WTF? Why not go to the trouble and actually go on to agar? All the steps are the same for sterility? Is this some sort of proverbial stepping stone into the arena of agar from PF?

Look, agar is just plain EASY, ok? PF tek only made it harder to teach people how to actually culture sterile mycelium properly.

------------------
Visit My website!
http://titan.spaceports.com/~spore/

Anonymous

#74419 - 04/09/00 09:41 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

so...any more success stories concerning these methods. I'm wondering how well the h2o2 does in sterilizing regardless, really, of whether the myc. is agar grown or disected.

Anonymous

#74420 - 04/10/00 09:37 PM (23 years, 11 months ago)

I love how people are so ready to defend agar simply because its the "right" way to do it... Lets see how all the steps for sterility are the same...

First agar..

Choose your agar mixture (there are hundreds of recipes to choose from) and prepare it. You can get premade mixtures, or mix your own.
note: this involves boiling all your ingrediants, sometimes straining out solids (depending on the recipe). You will need containers to do the agar work in, typically petri dishes, but wide mouth jars will work.. If you use plastic petri dishes, you must sterilize your agar mixture in a sperate container and somehow manage to pour it into your dishes, WHILE HOT! You must do this in a sterile location and keep them in a sterile location so they don't suck in dirty air while they cool.

Then once they solidify you just innoculate them, either by isolating a strain from another agar dish, cutting it out (hoping you have selected a single strain) and transfering it (in open air again) into the new fresh petri dish.

Of you can skip right to the culturing of a fresh mushroom to isolate a strain. This involes slicing open a stem and cutting out a section of the inside mycellium, and transfering to the fresh dish (all while praying your scalpel is clean and that nothing gets in your dish while it is open, or lands this clean piece of mycellium while you transfer it, or that you didn't contaminae it by touching the outside of the mushroom with ANYTHING once you sliced open the mushroom)...

And now you still have to wait until the dish grows out until you can use it. If there is contamination you have to keep trying to reisolate your strain from this dish into another dish. Then if you have managed to do this without contaminating it, you still have to take a risk again when you use this stuff to innoculate your substrate... either by usuing wedges (and openeing your substrate jars wide open) or blending it up.. (another open container)...
time... minimum 10 days... practically... 14-21 days.

Ok and now the new peroxide method..

Put piece of stem in coffee grinder with water or h2o2... No sterile conditions necessary...

Blend....No sterile conditions necessary...

Spoon into 1/3 cup peroxide...no steil conditions necessary...

Suck up with syring... No sterile conditions necessary...

Innoculate... time 5 minutes...

Yeah thats the same...

As a side note:

I do have quart jars of birdseed with all three of those species growing,(shitake, crimini, chantarelles) although I did make one stupid mistake... I bothered with the Chantarelles... the mycellium is growing, but I am pretty sure they can't be cultivated... I didn't realize this when I started.. Oh well... I will try anyway for the fun of it..

ThE JafF

InvisibleMyco-420
enthusiast

Loc: BFE
Sound's interesting to me..... [Re: Anonymous]
    #313906 - 05/10/01 11:00 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

hmmmmmmmmm. What do you guys think?

Someone should email me a bowl.

--------------------
Bong hits for Jesus

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: Anonymous]
    #313973 - 05/10/01 12:42 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

your funny man... edible mushrooms are ... well you know... but the thing is i'm not sure if your just being "clever" and just saying your growing smak-takis and whatever else you were grownin'... :laugh: as for the coffee grinder thing with adding LIQUIDS into a coffee grinder?!?!? what kind of grinder do you have? i'd like to get my grubby hands on a WATERPROOF COFFEE GRINDER.... ne-way ... all that H2o2 makes me kinda nervous...:D.... what do you guy's say ??? peace

"like a Japanese Cowboy or a blind man on skates"Ween

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
Re: Sound's interesting to me..... [Re: Myco-420]
    #313974 - 05/10/01 12:44 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, this post was back in the day!
Too bad the pics are gone....;(

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

OfflineTaz
veteran
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: BrownPastures]
    #313982 - 05/10/01 12:52 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yo I would like to know the brand name of that coffee maker too...........who sells it? wal-mart, k-mart?

"Out of chaos...comes order...." AND THE FSR..

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineTlaloc
    #313988 - 05/10/01 01:00 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

what happend to the picts!???? there not loading for me,....and im on t1 damn it.

I wanna see too.....WAAAAAAAAAAA!<sob> ;0(

--------------------
[blue]
Bill Hicks (1961-1994) "SQUEEGIE YOUR THIRD EYE! "

Offlinepsylo330
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: Tlaloc]
    #314000 - 05/10/01 01:11 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Cool! Dos that tek work with a stem of a mushroom U find outside?

"What da fuck??!!"

--------------------
I am completly mad so dont listen to a word I say its the littleblueguyz fault.If I don'tpost anything for a few days, it's that I have suicided myself or I had decided to live on Mars.

Offlinepsylo330
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: psylo330]
    #314654 - 05/11/01 10:03 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

g

"What da fuck??!!"

--------------------
I am completly mad so dont listen to a word I say its the littleblueguyz fault.If I don'tpost anything for a few days, it's that I have suicided myself or I had decided to live on Mars.

InvisibleMyco-420
enthusiast

Loc: BFE
    #314679 - 05/11/01 10:36 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

awwww fuck it man... use suran wrap in the bottom or just go guerilla style and sacrifice the coffee grinder for the hobby

Someone should email me a bowl.

--------------------
Bong hits for Jesus

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: NEW Tissue Culture Technique - No agar, No flow hood, easy as hell [Re: Myco-420]
    #314715 - 05/11/01 11:08 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Moulinex 123 should also work to mix the h2o2 with tissue.
BTW, how many shroom tissue do you need to inoculate one agar petri dish (I was thinking 0,5cm x 0,5cm)

== :) Spread the Spores :) ==

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order