Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetriplethreat
Loc: NJ
Inoculation in a few days....
    #1997435 - 10/10/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well guys, I have only been here a short time but in that time I have learned much thanks to you--the shroomery members. Unfortunately, I am still such a noob, so I need to get a few questions cleared up before I start inoculation...

1) I bought some Organic BRF yesterday, but I wont start inoculation for 1-4 days, the BRF is in my fridge...will it stay good until inoculation?

2) I need to buy a submersible heater for a colinization chamber, but I do not know what kind or size of heater I will need for a standard size rubbermaid...

3) Could someone please link me a colinization chamber tek? Can I use the same chamber as my terrarium once my jars are fully colinized? I am pretty confused on how to set up a colinization chamber. Is it just a rubbermaid tub with a submersible heater? or do I need an air pump? if so what kind? Soooooooooo sorry for my (clueless) questions. Thanks guys.

--------------------
Im so pimp it's ridiculous Got tinted windows on my ride Im inconspicuous

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelittlejohn747
addict

Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: triplethreat]
    #1997494 - 10/10/03 04:04 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i am also new to this but from what i have read it just depends on what "level" you want to take your hobbie to. Yes you can get a hole air exchange system and use a hummidifer. Or you can open it ever day or every couple a days and give it a fan or too.Sure you might get a better yeild with a high tek set-up but i know for my first grow i am me concered that i get somthing and less concered with quite how much i get. this is of course just my .02cents

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: littlejohn747]
    #1997540 - 10/10/03 04:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the incubator is 2 rubbermaides (one inside the other so make sure they are the same kind of tub) there should be a space inbetween the two rubbermaids which you fill with water, then you put the submersible tank heater in (make sure you tie or weigh it down or it will float and burn a hole in your top tub) i dont think using your fruiting chamber is an option fora couple reasons: 1. the fruiting chamber should be clear (to get light) and you need to incubate in total darkness(well at least as dark as you can) . 2) if you are using the PMP you are going to have humidity in there you dont need/want 3) you cant have more jars incubating while your first batch is fruiting (since both can take a long time, why the hell not have some ready to birth after your flushes are done. thats just my opinion, i could be wrong.

Offlinetriplethreat
Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: arex7tt]
    #1997596 - 10/10/03 04:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Arex7tt, my savior...my own personal Jesus Christ  :grin:  Well I plan on inoculating and colonizing all the jars at the same time.  So they will all be in the fruiting chamber together.  I guess today Im off to buy two rubbermaids and a heater so I can have my incubator up and running by the time I start inoculation.  How many gallons are the standard rubbermaids?  I assuming that will be a factor in deciding the heater I should get? 

--------------------

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
    #1997610 - 10/10/03 04:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

jeez man, you could have just called me God for short :smile: im using 18 gallons (i THINK, i kinda took the tags off) i think i got the smllest heater that walmart sold and it gets plenty  warm (accidently let it go up to 90) and they are adjustable (thats important IMO) youre my homie, good luck

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: arex7tt]
    #1997816 - 10/10/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

25 watt will be fine 50 is best 100 too much unless you have a huge rubbermaid. Do a search for PF-tek incubator for simple minds. It's easy and effective. BRF will last quite awhile although growth will slow with age. Good luck! Think walmart has one for 15 bucks. As for the fruting chamber, get an fish tank bubbler for 7 bucks and run it through some H202 to a cup filled with water and H202. Automatic air exchange and humidity with sterile air. Or take it up another notch and do a search for poo mans pod.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinetriplethreat
Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: thisone]
    #1997850 - 10/10/03 05:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Do I need this fish tank bubbler if I am doing a PMP with lava rocks for humidity?

--------------------

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1997862 - 10/10/03 05:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

doing a PMP?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
incubator pics [Re: triplethreat]
    #1997953 - 10/10/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

incubator: cheap, easy, fun to make, increases speed of growth.

--------------------
buh

Offlinetriplethreat
Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: thisone]
    #1997956 - 10/10/03 06:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yes that is my plan. I bought the lava rocks the other day. Exactly how does the medium (i.e. lava rocks, perlite, geolite, etc.) provide the humidity?

--------------------

Offlineshroomstruck

Re: Inoculation in a few days.... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1998048 - 10/10/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The nice thing about shrooms is you can go lo tech & inexpensive and still get a lot for the effort.
My friend's been able to get away with incubator expense by putting covered boxes on the water heater. He also cheaped out on the PMP and only added 21/2 inches of geolite to a large sterilite. Instead of a bubbler he fans & mists frequently ... he like the fresh shroomy sent, so it's cool. :smile:
If you want to produce a lot or just got the cash you might as well go all the way, but don't let not having the bells and whistles hold you up... I guess that's the point I'm trying to make.

Besides creating general humidity, cakes in contact with one of these surfaces should absorb water through wicking action.

Edited by shroomstruck (10/10/03 06:40 PM)

Offlinetriplethreat
Re: incubator pics [Re: shirley knott]
    #1998108 - 10/10/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Can my cakes go directly on the lava rocks or should they stay on the lid?

--------------------

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: incubator pics [Re: triplethreat]
    #1998170 - 10/10/03 07:05 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

keep them on the lid until they look really exhausted and blueing after a flush or two. Also fill the jar lid with wet verm to put the cake on.

--------------------

InvisibleHertyar
The guy nextdoor

#2001470 - 10/12/03 01:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

triplethreat said:
Yes that is my plan. I bought the lava rocks the other day. Exactly how does the medium (i.e. lava rocks, perlite, geolite, etc.) provide the humidity?

it is not "required" that you get the air pump, it just makes the process a little more foolproof and less maintnence since you don't have to fan the cakes every day during the fruiting cycle. The perlite etc. provides a foolproof level of humidity by creating a good wet surface area for evaporation to occur. If you mix the water in the perlite with up to 50% h202 it will also help protect it from contams.

--------------------
Doesn't have the patience to grow shrooms himself, but instead mooches off friend in exchange for research. :tongue:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation