Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinexpaciscool
Smooth Criminal
 User Gallery

Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation
    #3988219 - 03/30/05 12:53 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hi everybody.
Tomarrow I plan on cooking jars filled with WBS. I do not have a pressure cooker, so i am concerned about contamination. I have drilled 1/4 inch holes in the lids, and put poly fill tightly packed in the holes.
My question is, can i add peroxide in the jars before cooking them, to elimate contamination. I have read that peroxide kills mushroom spores, but i am not completely sure if that is true.
So , if i add peroxide before cooking them, then after cooking them inoculate them with a spore syringe, will they colonize? or will the peroxide kill the spores?
Thanks in advance for your replies :cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: xpaciscool]
    #3988231 - 03/30/05 12:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

uh that doesnt sound like a good idea, what substrate are you using? BRF? grain?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3988284 - 03/30/05 01:09 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"COOK"............HOW? :confused:

--------------------

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: District of Columbia
Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3988294 - 03/30/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

all you will do is mess up the PH and get some nasty sour smelling bactrea jars. you know there are some things for witch there is no substute and that cant be made any easer or more hafeassed, if you want to make mushrooms you need a presser cooker there is now way to do grain with out it, you will have to save your money and get on

--------------------
CLICK THIS Ultimate Myco Directory v5.0
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Offlinexpaciscool
Smooth Criminal
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: agar]
    #3988303 - 03/30/05 01:12 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

steam, boil, whatever you want to call it. in a big pot, with a wire rack on the bottom.
I am using Wild Bird Seed. I have soaked half of it for 48 hrs and the other half for like about 24-36. I read that this was too long, so i drained the water out of it. Will i experience any problems if i soak too long?? I am going to wash it thouroughly before i steam it.
I have read that people have done it successfully without a pressure cooker. Is there truth in this?
Thanks

Edited by xpaciscool (03/30/05 01:14 AM)

OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

Loc: Blitzed out of my skull
    #3988329 - 03/30/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Dont put peroxide in your jars, that just complicates things. I dunno about the polyfill either. Also, you dont need that big of a hole to innoc. I just stuck the end of a flaming hot knife into my jar, just enough for the syringe to get in, and thats it. Mine is fine now, by the grace of some higher power im sure. I didnt use a Pressure Cooker, I used the ghettofied steaming system, just make sure the enviroment their in is clean, rub everythign down with alchohol, spray lysol into the air, whatever. Dont be soo preoccupied with contams soo much you forget what to do in the first place

(Also, I would reccomend BRF/verm cakes as per PF Tek to start off, once you get your first few jars in, and you get a couple exp points under your belt, then i'd move on to bigger and better things

--------------------
"Mans unfailing capacity to beleive what he prefers to be true, rather than what evidence proves to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We longe for a caring universe that will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest doubts. God hasnt been proven not to exist, therefore, he must exist!"

"Einstein would turn over in his grave! Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded."

"Some would ask, Why would a perfect god create a universe that if filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conumdrum. Why would a perfect god create a universe at all?"

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

#3988349 - 03/30/05 01:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Right

i did a tek on this a long while ago , well i have done it with macaroni and WBS which is the best substrate for this method , i made two jars of both ! this was my method :

soak wbs in water for 12hr , then soaked for 2min in H202 , then drained and cooked in a pot of water , then cooled and inoculated as usual .

as you see h202 is a oxidizer or a bleaching agent and with light and heat decomposes , so when cooking it it breaks it down into two elements Hydrogen and oxygen (h202 remember no need for a chem class) and the reason for soaking it first is to stop it from absorbing the h202 because how can you expect the spores to grow with wbs saturated in h202.

peace john

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Anonymous

Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: liveby]
    #3989389 - 03/30/05 10:40 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Adding H2O2 to jars before you sterilize them does absolutely nothing, the heat encountered in PC'ing/steaming/boiling will break it down into water and oxygen.

Offlinexpaciscool
Smooth Criminal
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: four20snakeman]
    #3990268 - 03/30/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

how long did you steam them?

Anonymous

#3990437 - 03/30/05 03:27 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

you PC WBS

Offlinexpaciscool
Smooth Criminal
 User Gallery

Re: Cooking jars with Peroxide before inoculation [Re: four20snakeman]
    #3990470 - 03/30/05 03:37 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well i don't have a pressure cooker, so i need to steam them!!! Liveby said he ghetto steamed them and everything turned out fine.

Offlinexpaciscool
Smooth Criminal
 User Gallery

#3990554 - 03/30/05 03:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I just steamed them for an hour and when i opened the pot, all the water was gone!!!! The bottoms of the jars were crusty and shit, will these jars still colonize???
I just did the first 6, and now i am doing the second 6, with a lot more water in the pot.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation