Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood   eBay Lighters

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline95rh
Stranger
6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construction
    #2211819 - 12/31/03 02:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

As you can see in the first picture this Hepa unit is a real monster. It was made for NASA and is intended to be used as some sort of drop in cieling panel.

The second pic is of the back of the unit with the pre-filter installed. Its surprsingly quiet considering how much air it moves.

I've had this thing for a little over a year now. My first attempts at constructing a flowhood out of it met with less than ideal success so thought I'd see if I could get some ideas from another brain and see if I couldn't get it to work this time.

Orientation All the flow hood plans I've looked at (quite a few in the last year) seem to have the flow horizontal to the work area. Keeping positive pressure and a laminar flow I'm thinking this is probably the only way but am wondering since this unit was meant to operate with the flow straight to the floor if I shouldn't design something for it to sit on rather and sit in front of it.

Materialsused The nicest flow hood plans I've seen used something called Malabar a coated plywood. I located it at lowes and home depot but it looks kinda heavy and maybe hard to work with so was wondering if maybe something else would be a better choice.

Dimensions Ok now since this thing is far larger than what I'd need just working with some quart jars would it be feasible to only use half the hepa surface for a work area?

If nothing else this thing is great at cleaning the air in the whole house

Thoughts ideas suggestions gratefully appreciated

rh95

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: 6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construct [Re: 95rh]
    #2211926 - 12/31/03 03:39 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The ones we use in my work have a hepa filter like that (huge) blowing sterile air downward from the ceiling and then a seperate pump pulls air from the flow hood from the bottom front and back, kind of like this:

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offline95rh
Stranger
Re: 6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construct [Re: micro]
    #2212133 - 12/31/03 05:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

hmm.. I'm not sure how a seperate pump would work here. The air flow out of the hepa is so light that even 5" away it doesn't move a bic lighter flame. though it does at 2" from the output. wouldn't a pump just blow a lot of unfiltered air around? I'm sure I'm missing something here.

thanks
rh95

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #2212139 - 12/31/03 05:21 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The only thing that blows air is the HEPA filter on the ceiling of the unit. The rest suck it out and this goes through a seperate HEPA filter since these are biological safety cabinets and then probably it probably just gets shot through the roof, just like a chemical hood.

If you don't have really good air pumps, though, this might not work.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

InvisibleEnlilM
Attorney at Lol
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construction [Re: 95rh]
    #2212172 - 12/31/03 05:42 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would just build a box for it to sit on top of. one side would be left open. You can build it out of any wood, but if you want to make it a little easier to keep clean and disinfected, brush some fiberglass resin on it (you can get this at a hardware or automotive store). This will make it non-porous so you dont have to worry about colonies of shit.

Not that it is a big issue...I have used a similar setup and have had less than a 1% contam rate for grain to grain and any other thing i have done under the hood.

There wont be a lot of airflow coming out. It isnt a wind tunnel. It doesnt need much. Figure 100 feet per minute, so if your hepa is the same size as the opening on the side you are working in, the flow will be the same as it is coming out of the hood. If the hood is old and somewhat clogged, it might not be getting as much flow. You can always increase the pressure of the environment by making the 4th wall of the base have a smaller opening than the size of the hood. This doesnt make it easy to change filter, but it can squeeze a little more life out of the filter.

--------------------
Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Ellis Dee said, "And those kids in CT deserved to die and I'm glad they're dead. I am glad that the survivors will have to "live with it" too. hahaha"

akira_akuma said, "fuck the freedom to speech, it's all crap"

Offline95rh
Stranger
Re: 6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construction [Re: Enlil]
    #2214651 - 01/02/04 08:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds simple enuf Thanks! I wasn't familar with fiberglass resin but sounds like a great idea

rh95

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2214920 - 01/02/04 12:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have found pictures of two different designs - horizontal and vertical - on this website:

Offline95rh
Stranger
Re: 6' Laminar Hepa unit Suggestions for flow hood construct [Re: ragadinks]
    #2225247 - 01/07/04 09:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, no pic yet cause I want to do a bit more work to it but have made signifcant progress.

I had an old gray metal credenza out in the garage. it was a match to the desk in the pic above. also 6' long. So I took the formica top off it and the legs as well as 2 of the 4 metal doors. the air flow going down is much more what I was expecting to see than when it was blowing horizontal. I think I have a winner here. Should probably re-paint the credenza. but i went ahead and tried it out by nocing up some pf jars just to see what happens.

tried some karo again but that stuff always comes out carmelized bummer guess I should try boiling it instead of pc'ing it next time

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood   eBay Lighters

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation